1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Cardinal Curses-B.B. Ruth-M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Jeffrey Strausser, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Jeffrey Strausser

Jeffrey Strausser Backtraced

Title: The Cardinal Curses
    Author: B.B. Ruth
    Rating: M
    Genre: Romance/Mystery
    DLP Category: Romance I suppose, since there isn't a mystery part
    Pairing: Harry/Hermione
    Summary: Six years after Harry kills Voldemort, he finds himself living away from the friends he grew up with and the family that embraced him. A recurring dream forces him back and discovers that Hermione needs his help to catch a murderer. One problem - she doesn't want his help. Post HBP.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3172242/1/The_Cardinal_Curses

The story is really amazing in my opinion. It's a really good mystery and the mystery behind the Cardinal was fun to follow. From what I remember(it's been a while since I've read it) it's a mixture of Harry centric and Hermione centric scenes. They're the two main characters of the story so it'll split between them, but I don't really think one outshines another in it. I may be wrong there as some of you hate Hermione and so will hate any scene she's in, and I respect that. opinions do differ. I just hope for a fair rating for this story by those who don't have a strong dislike for Hermione.

I didn't see this story in the 'didn't make it' nor the 'library' list. If I missed it, then I apologize and please let me know. But I'm pretty sure it's not there.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  2. Dark-Stallion

Dark-Stallion Professor

I'll be honest, I didn't like it. Whether it was the utter fail that was Harry's decision making, or how he fell over himself for Hermione, or whatever, I just didn't like it.

A few glaring grammar issues made reading it rough, but compared to most out there it wasn't too badly written. I'm usually a fan of Harry!Hermione, but this just rubbed me up the wrong way.

2/5 because it was well written.

Dark-Stallion.

3. maidros

maidros Fourth Year

I read this story a long time ago, but I was never overly impressed. Sure, there is a bit of decent characterisation, but that is all. And all those anagrams were ridiculous - you could see what was coming from a league off.

Score: 3/5

4. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I remember reading it a year or so ago and I really enjoyed it. It was the first real mystery HP fanfiction I read too. I thought about putting it up here several times, but I doubted it would be well recieved.

There were some moments that I didn't like, from memory. But overall it was a good read.

I give a 4/5.

If I get around to it, I'll reread it and see how it stacks up since my standards have risen since I read it.

The authors second story - The Purple Potion - was finished a few weeks back. Unfortunately I couldn't get passed around chapter 10-12 because Malfoy was the one dating Hermione, which is impossible and wrong on so many levels. I'm quite sure the mystery would have topped this one. The good Malfoy ruins it for me though.

5. Jeffrey Strausser

Jeffrey Strausser Backtraced

Yeah, i'm not sure how it'll be received by others here, but I didn't see it anywhere and figured it was worth a shot. I enjoyed it and I tend to overlook grammar and spelling issues when the plot pulls me in. I got pulled in at the end of chapter 5 and beginning of 6. I guess we'll see how it goes when there are some more reviews and a decision is made

6. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Just trying to counter some 'neglect' here.

I read this story a couple years ago, and I remember liking it a lot. There is a credible mystery to be solved, and it was fairly well-written. Then again, I'm a big fan of H/Hr when it's done right.

Those of you who are closet Harmonians could do worse than checking this one out.

4/5