1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter and Death's Incarnate by Shujin1 - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Shezza, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

Title: Harry Potter and Death's Incarnate
    Author: Shujin1
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Supernatural
    DLP Category: Alternates
    Pairing: Probable Harry/Death
    Chapters: 22
    Words: 55,697
    Updated: July 22, 2008
    Published: June 8, 2008

Summary: Lily Potter's pleas for her son caught the attention of someone it shouldn't have. Now that Death has taken a personal interest in him, what is life for Harry going to be like? Covers First Year
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4310758/1/
    Sequel thread link: Harry Potter and the Breath of Life

For a, frankly, shitty title, this story interested me quite a lot and kept me reading right up the current chapter. I dunno if everybody else will like it- but I was in the mood for reading something like this after surging through xxxHolic the other night. The basic premise is that Lily Potter's sacrifice caught the incarnation of Death's attention, Thanatos- who, for the record, is a woman. It plays on the cliche that Harry has a new invisible friend but does it better, in my opinion.

She does change him in many ways, both personality-wise and magic-wise, and she won't let him be killed- unless he becomes useless to her, at first. He gets pushed off the Astronomy Tower and breaks his neck, and still manages to get to Promfrey's office acting all prissy. As you go through the story, it looks like that he's changing her as much as she's changing him.

There's a whole bunch of different mythology that comes up in here that I found fascinating. Overall, reading this wasn't a waste of my time and I pronounce it 5/5.

The author started to rewrite the story:

Title: Deathly Hallowed
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Horror
    Chapters: 5
    Words: 33,666
    Updated: April 22, 2013
    Published: April 5, 2013
    Summary: The Tale of Three Brothers was not a legend. It was a warning. No one cheats Death. And luckily for Lily Potter, the promise of the Cloak's return in exchange for her son's life was a fair deal. Rewrite of Harry Potter and Death's Incarnate.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9172846/1/Deathly-Hallowed

Checked by Minion, April 22, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2013
  2. Illution

Illution Seventh Year

I have been following this story for a while also. Many little things are left unexplained, thus making the plot line feeling a bit mysterious, and perhaps confusing at times.

The mean feel of this story is angst. This story definitely doesn't have a light feel to it. I recognized a lot of Greek myth in it. Over all a good read. 4.75/5

3. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Yeah, this is a good one. So far so good. A refreshing read for something a touch different. I liked it. A solid 5/5 for being something I read all the way through.

4. Vengashii

Vengashii Banned

Creepy. I was just reading this story today.

Aside from the occasional spelling mistake, it's been pretty interesting.

Interesting and confusing...

5. Illution

Illution Seventh Year

There is another update. Strangely fast given that the last chapter was posted merely hours ago. A lot of quotes from factional magical beings makes the reader feel that they contain hidden wisdom.

6. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I like the quotes as well. Quick updates are awesome (though they're not necessarily very long chapters). I've been following this story since the first few chapters were out, and it is definitely not following the beaten path.

The other story by this author, Olympus, is worth reading as well (I think it is worthy of the library...it's definitely better than some of the current library material); it's another pretty original story with actual subplots, and I really like some of the stylistic things used as well (such as titles in letters...you'll see what I mean).

7. Vincent V

Vincent V Slug Club Member

Just read it all the way through and found it very enjoyable. 5/5 for the original content, fun read, and fast updates (something like 17 chapters in a month).

Awesome story.

8. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I tried this when it first got posted and just couldn't get into it. I guess deities and religion are just not my thing, which was probably one of the reasons why I liked HP that much.

9. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

His update schedule seems to be fairly quick.

10. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I prefered the author's story Olympus to the Death Incarnate. It wasn't really all that great.

11. Jeffrey Strausser

Jeffrey Strausser Backtraced

I've liked this story as well. I caught the first chapter of it when it came out and have been reading the updates, but got stuck on chapter 12 when a bunch of updates were made for other stories I'm reading. So i'm still on chapter 12 of that story, but what i've read is original and good. I'll give it a 4/5 because I didn't feel the need to read it all the way through in one go without reading other stories. I was able to be distracted by other stories, so it didn't fully draw me in. I do like the update speed though, short chapters or not it's nice to have a pretty regular flow of chapters.

12. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

UnfortunatelyHarry refuses to be called anything but Asmodeus in that story. :(

13. Azrael's Little Helper

Azrael's Little Helper High Inquisitor

Been following it ever since it hit 20000 words. Decent story although some of the characterisation comes across a bit off and I found personally that the story was...sketchy, as in parts of a chapter would be interesting and hold my attention while other parts would break that. A decent read though nothing overly gripping or spectacular - 3/5, would give it more as it doesn't deserve trash binning but I suppose its not quite a 4 for me and anything but whole numbers here looks silly.

14. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Meh, didn't like it. Couldn't take the Slytherin/Gryffindor dynamic, not to mention "Thana"

We don't know anything about her. We don't know whether or not she cares for Harry, or if she doesn't. She ignores him for no reason, and then starts talking to him again. Meh.

I'll give the story a 2/5 for good grammar at least.

15. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Yes, I definitely think "Asmodeus" is awkward. If you're not going to use "Harry", at least choose something that doesn't sound like a last name (...A Second Chance at Life!).

Sree: I think the author is holding back that information to release it little tidbits later on, but I agree that it is confusing and wtf-provoking at times.

16. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I liked this story, Thanatos made me think of Meciel in Shezza's Denarian series.
    4.5 from me (voted 5)

17. Lincos

Lincos Professor DLP Supporter

What do think Thana is based off?

edit: Oh... and Shipping, Harry/Death? I don't think so Shez, its looking more like H/Hr.

Considering the way the author is changing her.... just so she can fit in with Harry and his Group.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  18. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Oh please be wrong! I'm avoiding HPHG shippings like most people here avoid HPGW's >:/
    Harry/Thana & Harry/Meciel are what I hope for.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  19. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

Well it looks like you are getting one of your wishes. Now you just need Shezza to make the right decision.

As for this story:

It's different from anything I have ever read, which is refreshing in itself. The mythology in this story is truly fascinating, and it's been incorporated, pretty well. However, a huge problem with this story is the confusion felt by the reader. There are times when I really didn't what was going on. Another negative is Hermione, the author is trying too hard to have her fit in Harry's group, though I do like the fact that Harry doesn't have friends, just acquaintances.

Oh and I agree with KrzaQ, Thana is a poor man's version of Meciel. I stress poor man's version.

I will give it a 3.5.

20. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

4.5/5 for the originality. It kept my interest out of sheer interesting characters and relationships.

And yes, Thana is very close to Meciel. A part of me likes Thana so much because her relationship with Harry is progressing far more rapidly than Meciel, making it a bit more satisfying at the present. Though, I'm sure the longer wait will be better for Shezza's story in the end.

This story is a good distraction and very little more.