1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Cousin by BigHead

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by BigHead, Jul 9, 2008.

1. BigHead

BigHead Muggle

Title: The Cousin
    Author: BigHead
    Rating: R
    Genre: Adventure/Supernatural/Crossover
    DLP Category: Alternate
    Pairing: Unknown so far, probably H/Hr
    Summary: Sometimes, it really is all about the Blood. Crossover with Hellsing.
    Link:http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4193511/1/The_Cousin

2. Jeffrey Strausser

Jeffrey Strausser Backtraced

I enjoyed it so far, I got drawn into it. Crossovers are hard to do well, but so far you're doing quite well. I'm looking forward to seeing some more. 5/5

3. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

:/

Why must the few crossovers I'm willing to read be spoiled by shitty pairings? I could deal with this if there was less Hermoine... Or if she was brutally murdered. That would pwnt.

Until faggy little shithead Harry started emoing and angsting over her death. :/

4. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I've read the five chapters that have been posted and there's been no mention of Hermione or the Grangers so far. Why do people think this is a H/Hr fic?

I don't like this fic, it's pretty uninspired. We're five chapters in and it's kind of obvious that Integra is the author's Mary Sue. So far, she's rescued Harry from his cupboard, shot Vernon, apologised for her temper tantrums, promised Harry the best psychiatric help, and told him that he'll always have food, shelter and family with the Hellsing's.

Integra didn't seem to hesitate for a second before she wanted to take Harry in. She never considered how it'd affect the work of the Hellsing organisation or whether it'd be in Harry's best interests to live in the mansion. All of the Hellsing characters are thoroughly outraged at Harry's treatment and have to restrain themselves from setting forth and killing the Dursleys.

Alucard has given Harry the nickname, Little Bolt, and even the Queen now wants to meet Harry.

This is yet another wish-fulfillment fic. I grew out of reading them a long time ago. They never have any plot or characterisation that's worth a damn. Needless to say, I won't be adding this guy to my Author Alerts.

5. fash

fash Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Because if you didn't notice the person posting this fic here is the author, and under pairing...

I also don't like this story, I really couldn't get into it doesn't really help that i cannot stand hellsing.

6. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I completely missed that. <_<

edit: I should add that I predict Harry with guns in this fic.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  7. LuxDragon

LuxDragon Fourth Year

I'm an H/Hr fan. So I'm gonna read it. Plus, Hellsing series isn't bad. I'll post my rating when I get the chance.

Read it and liked it. Some of the dialogue is a bit inconsistant though. I'm looking forward for more. 4/5 with the potential to be better.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  8. KafkaExMachina

KafkaExMachina Second Year

I read it, it's a 'guilty pleasure' fic for me. I like Hellsing, and I like the pairing. It's also posted over on Portkey, so H/Hr is guaranteed.

That being said, it's not Library material. First, the author needs to work a bit on his grammar/spelling. Also, as (yet another) redo, we're probably going to have to sift through (yet another) redone first year, at which point the author will either a.) solve everything in a painfully fast manner or b.) give up on the story. I doubt that option c.) 'don't follow the standard redo convention' is very likely.

Finally, the story was recced by the author, as his first DLP post. That little breech of etiquette loses an entire point.

3/5 because I have low standards.
    1/5 for anybody who doesn't like the pairing - on top of the other flaws that will sink this story fast and hard.
    2/5 overall.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  9. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Hmm surprised. I enjoyed it. But that is probably because I am a Hellsing fanboy.

I have to say that seeing the caliber of writing I read it as such too. That is, a slightly above average story. What bothers me is that by the fifth chapter everything that could be Hellsing-ish about the story is done and over with.

Beyond this point it will be a gun wielding Harry who probably acts all posh like. The pairing doesn't bother me, what does make me wary is that the Harry/Hermione stories take a very, very, very set route of how the relationship is developed.

Of course a bunch of this is guess work and I won't rate on that. I enjoyed what I read so far with a few very cringe worthy moments of the Happy Hellsing Family type.

I say 3/5, just because it would be unfair to rate it above that given the quality of stories it takes to get a 4/5 here.

I will still read this though, till as Vash pointed out the whole romance begins.

10. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

If this is the story that was posted in parts on Cear Azkaban, I will go out on a limb and say 0/5. While the concept may or may not be great, the way the writer put it together, oh man.
    Just not my cup of tea.
    Your mileage may vary.

11. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

It is the story that was posted on Caer Azkaban, and I believe it's very good and deserving of consideration to be in the library.

12. Xenon

Xenon Professor

Firstly, omg, H/Hr, kill it with fire; nao. :rolleyes:

With that out of the way I have to say I really enjoyed this so far, even with it's faults. As Yak mentioned, it displays the 'abused child, drop everything' syndrome, although I believe that it wasn't too over the top, and it wasn't that hard to suspended my disbelief in regards to that issue. The main problem with this story was the typos, and some of formating with chapters one and two. I remember breaking immersion a few times, and thinking 'huh'?

One thing that it has going for it is continuity. I was pleasantly surprised when Seras wasn't there(as she should be appearing somewhere in the 1993-1995 range if I'm not mistaken) which most authors conveniently seem to conveniently forget/ignore. Probably one of the best HP/Hellsing crossovers(that's not saying much unfortunately) that I've read.

Pros:
    Continuity
    Interesting premise
    Subversion of the 'long lost relatives' trope

Cons:
    Excessive typos/breaking immersion
    'Abused child, drop everything!' syndrome
    Lame Nickname

Overall Rating: 4/5

13. BigHead

BigHead Muggle

As the author, allow me to say one or two things about the fic. One, English really isn't my first language (I'm Brazilian), and my usual team of betas was busy, so a friend just skimmed over it briefly. That being said, apologies for the mistakes, hope they weren't THAT much annoying.
    Two, I said it MIGHT be Harry/Hermione, I'm not sure yet, it's too soon to say anything. It's just a pairing that I like, however if I decide on another one, I'll pull it off Portkey, no doubt.
    The rest of comments here I'll take under consideration (obviously), and try to improve on it to the best of my abilities.