1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

I had a crossover idea...

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Red Aviary, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A Dresden Files/Legend of Zelda crossover. Specifically, LoZ: Twilight Princess.

The idea came to me when I was playing it the other day, and had just finished Summer Knight. The premise is, post-Twilight Princess, Link finds an artifact that allows you to cross dimensional barriers. Hoping to use it to travel to the Twilight Realm, he instead is transported to the Dresdenverse Chicago. It's...vague, but I haven't worked out any of the details yet. And it's not a whole lot different than the methods used in most HP/DF crossovers, admittedly, but it sounds plausible to me.

...Of course, once there, Link would be overwhelmed by the presence of all this new, modern stuff...cars, electricity, etc. So, er, from that point on, I'm not entirely certain. This is a rough outline, after all.

But, I've had a few ideas.

The first is the Master Sword, and how it's a lot like Amoracchius, Fidelacchius, and Esperacchius. The Master Sword has the power to repel evil, which enables it to overcome powerful dark magic, curses, and so on. Evil people and beings cannot touch or wield the sword...and while I've only read up to Summer Knight as of this posting, that sounds a lot like what Amoracchius, and the other swords, do. So maybe Link could play a role similar to Michael, except...not as Christian-y. The Master Sword is also probably indestructable, which would make it resistant against a myriad of other things (fire, etc.), and as far as I know, wouldn't be undone by a certain act.

Secondly, the Sight and the senses that Link uses in wolf form are similar, in a way. While Wikipedia says that the sense is just his improved sense of smell, you could probably retcon that to something more like a dumbed-down Sight. I mean, basically, they both show you things that you normally wouldn't be able to sense, don't they? And I don't remember it saying explicitly in-game that it's only his smell, and not something else.

Which leads into how Link would have progressed since the end of TP. I, personally, hated Ilia, so I wouldn't have her be involved with him. In fact, I'd have him be rather distant from most of the characters from the game, for a few reasons.

From the epilogue, it's obvious that there was something between Midna and Link, so...perhaps he'd be obsessed with trying to either reassemble the Mirror of Twilight, or find another route. He travels around for a few years, getting some rep around the lands and a lot of experience with fighting monsters and the like. Given the usefulness of being able to change back and forth from human to wolf during the quest, I'd have him find a way to bind that curse shard Midna was using to him in a such a way so that he'd be able to transform back and forth, a la the Alphas, without Midna doing it for him, and maybe access the aforementioned sense without being a wolf.

As for how the two universes mix with things like magic (a big issue), monsters and such, and things like the difference in culture, technology, how his appearance from another dimension would affect the Dresdenverse, and a boatload of other things...well, I was hoping some of you might have some insight to that, as well as how to bring the Black Council and, possibly, Ganondorf into play.

I've no idea where a good place for it to be set is, since I've only just finished Summer Knight. =|

...Hopefully the idea doesn't suck too much, and if it does, I can only apologize.

2. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

Wha..? *Too stunned to answer*

3. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ...That's not a good sign.

Ok, it's late, and I probably should have waited until morning to sort all that out. Admittedly, the idea probably does suck, but it was the only idea for a Dresden crossover fic I had that wasn't yet another Harry Potter one.

4. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

Personally, I like the idea. It's very rough, and how Link is going to wind up in Chicago needs to be explained pretty well. Personally, the whole 'attempt at reconstructing the Twilight Mirror gone wrong' angle seems to be the best way to go. But yeah, don't let the fact that it's original turn you away from it. LoZ fanfiction CAN be done well.

5. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

If you had the whole LoZ world set in the Nevernever it would make sense. You've gotta love that about DF crossovers, if it can't be built into the world easily just throw it in the Nevernever.