PDA

View Full Version : Official Dresden "Searching For..." Thread.

smb
07-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Does anyone know where some good Harry/Lash stories are? I've tried looking everywhere I could think of, but I found about... one.

And it was really good, but it was just a oneshot, and so it only lasted about ten, fifteen minutes and... Why is it so impossible to find this pairing?

And how is it that something like Harry Potter can be so badly written but get so many fics, but Dresden gets nada?

~ Smb

Antivash
07-12-2008, 05:00 PM

Ive been playing with a few ideas but never written any of them. Never seen any either. Outside of the few fics you find here, Dresden isnt worth reading fanfic for yet.

Also; Admin notice. This is now the offical Searching-For thread. Make a new one and the Van is coming for you.

Nuhuh
07-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Reason for deleting above two posts: no warez anything. Please support the artist and writers.

Antivash
07-16-2008, 12:25 PM
umm .. so liek... I wuz luukin fer a fic whar Murphy gets wut she deservs, teh bitch. anywun got links?

Nuhuh
07-16-2008, 01:03 PM
:mad: Right here, boyo. Where Murphy Gets What She Deserves. (http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?p=196334#post196334)

At this point I would like to thank Vash for being a consistent "sounding bored" for the above ficletabortion.

Darius
07-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Mods aren't allowed to pimp their own shit.

Nuhuh
07-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Mods aren't allowed to pimp their own shit.

He asked for it. Just to stick it to me. :p

Antivash
07-16-2008, 03:29 PM
-__-

Have I mentioned recently I was going to kill you in your sleep, Nuhuh?

Sagita
07-17-2008, 12:06 AM
And how is it that something like Harry Potter can be so badly written but get so many fics, but Dresden gets nada?

~ Smb

Marketing. Really, HP has MOVIES while Dresden had that one suckie TV show...

CheddarTrek
04-22-2009, 02:20 AM
Hmm, so this is the official "Looking For..." thread then is it? Not much going on in here.

What I am here looking for is a story I read back around the time Small Favor came out (I.e. about a year ago if I recall correctly). It was a HP/Dresden crossover where Dresden ended up taking on Harry as his charge when ... damn, it's hard when they're both named Harry isn't it? Anyway, HP was about 9-10 at the start of it. I thought it had a promising start with some decent action, and since I just finished reading Turn Coat I was in the mood for a bit more Dresden. Anyone know which story I'm after? I don't think it's here on DLP.

I liked Dresden trying to play the father role in that one because it seemed to avoid sappiness so far. I also liked Dresden in the actual books as Molly's Mentor, and that's a different sort of relationship. Molly sort of pisses me off though.

Speaking of -- so long as I am posting here looking for that story, anyone know of any other decent stories (crossover or otherwise) that has Dresden in the role of Mentor (to Molly) or Father-Figure (to anyone)? I've looked through the ones on DLP in the past and I don't think I've come across any on the forums.

Cheers

EDIT: I did a bit more looking around the forums in the Dresden section -- is Murphy the "Ginny" of the Dresden Files or something on DLP? I mean, she gets on my nerves every now and then, but sometimes I like her scenes too. I've never been pissed off with her character like I have been with Ginny's. Just curious ;P

White Rabbit
04-22-2009, 07:23 AM
Murphy just has a bad case of "Bitch doesn't know her place"itis.

Bad shit happens to women that carry this in the books. Susan is now part vamp, Murphy got mindfucked. She has mellowed in the later books, but still has it pretty bad.

Molly's probably going to get her come uppance sometime.

EDIT:

Two Wizards, One Name (https://server3.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/syku/swytfpwudrx/sqrs/p1/s/4988733/1/Two_Wizards_One_Name) (https://server3.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/syku/swytfpwudrx/sqrs/p1/s/4988733/2/Two_Wizards_One_Name) by BelovedIndiferance (https://server3.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/syku/swytfpwudrx/sqrs/p1/u/1860129/BelovedIndiferance) reviews (https://server3.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/syku/swytfpwudrx/sqrs/p1/r/4988733/) Harry Dresden is placed in charge of guarding some scrawny kid from England, Potter or something like that… how much trouble could it be? Apparently, a lot, as he's about to find out. Disclaimer inside. Rated: T - English - Adventure/Humor - Chapters: 2 - Words: 4,114 - Reviews: 5 - Updated: 4-13-09 - Published: 4-12-09

Sounds like what you wanted. It's crap though.

phalanx
04-22-2009, 01:22 PM
Hmm, so this is the official "Looking For..." thread then is it? Not much going on in here.

What I am here looking for is a story I read back around the time Small Favor came out (I.e. about a year ago if I recall correctly). It was a HP/Dresden crossover where Dresden ended up taking on Harry as his charge when ... damn, it's hard when they're both named Harry isn't it? Anyway, HP was about 9-10 at the start of it. I thought it had a promising start with some decent action, and since I just finished reading Turn Coat I was in the mood for a bit more Dresden. Anyone know which story I'm after? I don't think it's here on DLP.

Maybe you mean this one: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3191008/1/Arsenic_and_Old_Lace

Harry Dresden. Harry Potter. What happens with a Dresden raised Potter? Same story line, different occurences. Crossover. Characters belong to J.k. or Butcher. OCs belong to me.Harry Potter - Rated: M - English - Adventure/Sci-Fi - Chapters: 23 - Words: 146,498 - Reviews: 86 - Updated: 10-30-07 - Published: 10-9-06 - Harry P. & OC

It wasn't completly bad, shame never got finished.

Aekiel
04-22-2009, 03:57 PM
Maybe you mean this one: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3191008/1/Arsenic_and_Old_Lace

Harry Dresden. Harry Potter. What happens with a Dresden raised Potter? Same story line, different occurences. Crossover. Characters belong to J.k. or Butcher. OCs belong to me.Harry Potter - Rated: M - English - Adventure/Sci-Fi - Chapters: 23 - Words: 146,498 - Reviews: 86 - Updated: 10-30-07 - Published: 10-9-06 - Harry P. & OC

It wasn't completly bad, shame never got finished.

Caliban Amun Dresden. No. Just no.

CheddarTrek
04-22-2009, 11:16 PM
Checked both of those out. The first one is indeed crap as you said, but it does have the type of premise I was after. The second is a little better written, though it is still far from good writing (Harry Potter's name is now... Caliban Dresden, as Aekiel said). If nothing else it's nice and long, which is more than most can say. Granted I only read the first chapter. Or parts of it.

I did some more looking myself and I'm guessing that the story I was after got taken down. I can sort of understand that if the author didn't intend to finish it or something but it's still disappointing.

I'm almost tempted to try and write one myself, but seeing as how I have little experience in such things... well, we'll see. It's doubtful.

Thank you to both of you who suggested stories, I appreciate it.

Castiel
02-01-2013, 11:00 PM
I have spent the last ~2 weeks reading all the Dresden books. I finished 14th yesterday, and I am kind of on a Dresden high. I need some words to sate it. Unfortunately I have already read almost all Dresden-Potter x-overs around. (which exposed me to several spoilers that I'd rather not have known, but whatever >_>)

Anyways, I am looking for any good (long (relatively)) dresden fics, I am partial to time-travel and in general an protagonist that does not get as majorly fucked over and Dresden does in canon.

Agayek
02-01-2013, 11:02 PM
I have spent the last ~2 weeks reading all the Dresden books. I finished 14th yesterday, and I am kind of on a Dresden high. I need some words to sate it. Unfortunately I have already read almost all Dresden-Potter x-overs around. (which exposed me to several spoilers that I'd rather not have known, but whatever >_>)

Anyways, I am looking for any good (long (relatively)) dresden fics, I am partial to time-travel and in general an antagonist that does not get as majorly fucked over and Dresden does in canon.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5430338/1/Broken-Mirror

Read that and it's 4 sequels.

Innomine
02-02-2013, 02:49 AM
After you do, you'll realise that nothing else Dresden FF wise can possibly compare. Then you'll be very sad.

Like I am. :(

Damn you Jim, start writing more fan fiction!

T3t
02-02-2013, 03:04 AM
In terms of pure Dresden there's really not much that's over 10k in words and isn't utter shit (or slash).

If you're ok with slash, then start from the top (http://archiveofourown.org/works?utf8=%E2%9C%93&commit=Sort+and+Filter&work_search%5Bsort_column%5D=word_count&work_search%5Bother_tag_names%5D=&work_search%5Bquery%5D=&work_search%5Blanguage_id%5D=&work_search%5Bcomplete%5D=0&tag_id=The+Dresden+Files+-+All+Media+Types).

LuciaZephyr's series isn't terrible but it's (probably) abandoned. Binz and Shiplizard do good work but Near Miss is their best. Not Even Silence is sorta meh.

Twist in Fate is terrible.

As for the rest... use your best judgment.

Castiel
02-02-2013, 04:06 AM
-

Thanks. It looks interesting. While I was taking a break, I realized that I have an exam tomorrow which I know nothing about, so rest of my day will be spent on that, but I will be reading all 5 when I get back tomorrow. :)

-

I find it hard to get through slash so I will probably not read any of those, still thanks for the rec.

Garlak
02-02-2013, 02:39 PM
"Fair Vote (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7258374/1/Fair-Vote)" by Nick Chiseler is worth a read.

22 chapters and 110,000 words long. Here's the summary:

This novel isn't about Dresden. It's about an apprentice, George Saga, who in the process of disentangling himself from a star-crossed selkie ends up lost within the dark alleys of Miami politics. With a twist of demon.

So it's more set in the Dresdenverse rather than a story about Dresden. But it's still really really good and I loved it.

Though given when it was written (and he started writing in 2008 before posting it all at once) some things like the origin of Red Court vampires would be incorrect/different. Though I still liked Fair Vote's take on what Red Court vampires were.

Zeelthor
02-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Haven't read it all yet, but it is well done.

Shezza
02-28-2013, 03:53 AM
Yo guys. I'm looking for something that Churchey recalls reading on the Dresden Files Forums. It was a fan-based 'profile' of Harry Dresden, written from the perspective of the wardens. Apparently it goes right from Book 1 to at least the end of Changes. It sounded pretty interesting to read.

Gimme a heads up if you have any idea what I'm talking about.
Cheers.

Psychotic Cat
02-28-2013, 04:17 AM
I have read that, I'm damn sure of it.

Welp, time to go hunt it down so it'll stop bugging me.
And I deliver (http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,19774.0.html).

Also, if you haven't read it, you should. It's good.

Zeelthor
02-28-2013, 06:41 AM
When all the facts are laid out like that, I really get why the White Council are pissing their pants about Dresden.

Innomine
02-28-2013, 08:24 AM
That was really cool to read. Cheers for linking that.

MonkeyEpoxy
02-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Known individuals who died in combat against:
Justin DuMorne -Warlock
Victor Sells - Warlock
Lycanthrope pack (Chicago, IL)
Hexenwolf pack from Federal Bureau of Investigations (USA)
loup-garou
Barroness Bianca St Claire (and retinue) of the Red Court
Summer Lady Aurora
Leonid Kravos -Warlock
Grevane -Warlock, Necromancer
Capiorcorpus - Warlock, Necromancer
Samuel Peabody - Warlock, Neuromancer
Madrigal Raith - White Court
Mavra (and retinue) -Black Court, Sorceress
Unknown number of hosts to the Order of Blackened Denarius
Unknown number of Red Court Agents
Unknown number of White Court vampires
Unknown number of Ghouls
The entire Red Court

Kinda puts it all in perspective, doesn't it.

Churchey
02-28-2013, 10:22 PM
I was hoping that it had been updated since I read it a bit after Changes came out.

I mean, he comes back from the dead, and how on earth would you write a report on the events of Cold Days?
*Outsider Presence Detected
-Large scale invasion of outsider forces
-Dresden allegedly engaged in direct combat near the island Demonreach while leading the wild hunt. Reportedly engaged in combat against a Walker (banished).
-In an unclear confrontation between multiple parties, Summer Lady Lily (previously ascended via Dresden's actions) and Winter Lady Maeve both perished. Note: Dresden's warlock apprentice and known fugitive Molly Carpenter has ascended to the position of Winter Lady.

Ravnius
03-01-2013, 12:41 AM
One of the things I think is really cool about that file is how it offers insight into how the Council thinks of things. They always refer to vampires by gender pronouns, but do not say a vampire was "killed" only "destroyed." Not only do they not consider their foes anything approaching human (to be fair, they're really not) but apparently they don't even appear as thinking beings to the WC. Interesting as hell.

T3t
03-01-2013, 11:24 AM
They don't have souls; they don't count.

Ravnius
03-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Well yes, but it's past even that. The council doesn't even seem to think of them as alive, they're just malevolent objects to them. Kinda interesting.

Aekiel
03-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Nah, it's the more way you don't 'kill' a rabid dog. You put it down or have it destroyed. Except possibly in the case of Black Court. They aren't alive.

T3t
03-01-2013, 06:42 PM
I don't agree with Butcher's classification system, all of these beings are sentient. Any other distinction is arbitrary. The free will thing is iffy, given that the universe is deterministic (though I suppose Butcher's might actually not be).

Ravnius
03-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Eh, it's all academic.

For example, if I, as a mortal, use my free will to take a gun and kill you, you're just as dead as if a vampire with no free will ate up all your blood. Whether there was choice or not, the victim is just as dead.

chrnno
03-01-2013, 09:40 PM
Indeed, so if I as a mortal kill everyone in the planet right now what does it matter since they are all going to die anyway?

Ravnius
03-02-2013, 12:33 AM
I wasn't going for a nihilistic "everyone dies in the end anyway" point. I'm saying that making the distinction between free will and animalistic instinct murders is pointless. The motivations don't matter to the deceased, because they're the deceased.

To address what you're saying, it wouldn't matter if you were a vampire doing a bloodline curse on all of humanity or a mortal using said curse, because the victims still died.

chrnno
03-02-2013, 11:15 AM
I see, you are just looking at it from the wrong angle. Indeed from the point of the victim there is no difference but from the point of the one who did it there is. A being with a soul would have it corrupted, a soulless monsters wouldn't.

Ravnius
03-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Okay, I see what you're saying.