1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete There and Back Again by Jess S1 - LOTRs - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by MadEyes, Feb 2, 2006.

1. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

Title: There and Back Again
    Author: Jess S1
    Rating: T
    Crossover: Lord of the Rings
    Category: Action/Adventure/Humor
    Chapters: 21
    Words: 189,536
    Updated: May 18, 2009
    Published: May 24, 2003

Summery: During the summer after fourth year, Harry unwittingly makes a wish... which takes him to another world. He needs to find a way home, but he also has to decide where his home really is...
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1357912/1/

This is one of the few, good, crossovers out there. But until today, it hadn’t been updated for more then a year, which was why I wasn’t inclined to posting it in the forums. Now that it has been updated, however, I can only hope that it will be finished.

Alas, it has its good points and its bad points. But it is essentially a good read.

The author started a rewrite:
    Title: Elda Kundu, Kurutar – There And Back Again: A Wizard's Tale
    Chapters: 6
    Words: 96,563
    Updated: September 11, 2011
    Published: July 17, 2008
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4403118/1/Elda_Kundu_Kurutar_A_Wizards_Tale

Checked by Minion, Nov. 23, 2012
    Added the rewrite

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2012
  2. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Read this a while back, and I suggested it in the HP/Lotr forum in fanfic discussion once. It's really good, if you discount the 'ooh! his wife might come back to life' bit, I like it.

3. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

I never really could get into Lord of the Rings before , but this story is awesome! :D

4. MoPhire

MoPhire First Year DLP Supporter

Read two chapters so far. the story seems good enough at the moment. my only problem is with the flippin 'elfish speak'. But if you don't mind that, the story is bearable

5. Akalon

Akalon Second Year

Columbus, Ohio USA on weekends, weekdays The Void.
    Found and read it nearly a year and a half ago. I'm glad Jess finally updated it also. This is what I've based all my HP/LOTR fics against and of all that I've found none have matched it yet, this was the first I found of this X-over genre.

Now i've only got to wait for the next update. Hope it's soon.

6. Myst

Myst Headmaster

Its a good fic.... save for the fact I abhor the elvish speak, its like... so highly annoying to read jibberish, then read translation of said jibberish.... sigh.... ah well take what you can get sometimes.

/Myst

7. MysterioX

MysterioX Professor

I think it the best Hp/LotR crossover out there. The new chapter was good and the author might start updating sooner than last time. I suggest all lotr fans give this a try

8. Redact

Redact Muggle

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  9. BloodRedSword

BloodRedSword High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Oh ya, she's looking for a beta. Will someone from DLP do it?

And post us some teaser along the way?

10. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

I didn't like this story at all, Harry was like I miss my friends through the beginning and was basically a bitch and I never figured out what was funny in the story? I mean I read the whole thing and didn't laugh.

11. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

I wasn't really sure in the beginning, but the fourth chapter that she(?) put up not too long ago is what pulled me back into this story. If you liked "There and Back Again" I'd really give this new version a shot.

The back story, instead of those annoying flashbacks, is a lot easier to get through. And it's been a while since I read the original, but I don't remember any of the war that's been brought into this one in the first.

12. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Here is my review of the first chapter:

If the mockery got a little heavy, the author deserved it completely. He must have the most iron-clad, impenetrable self-esteem in real life as a writer if he could write this:

and still take himself seriously. What the fuck is that?

The original might have merited a 3/5, but as a rewrite this is a failure.

2/5

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  13. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

To tell you the truth, I didn't even bother to read the first chapter. I remembered enough of what happened in the first and just skipped it. The letters/presents is boring to read and I'm sure just as boring to write.

It gets better later on though in my opinion and I'd still take this LoTR/HP crossover over a lot of others that are out there. Eh..to each his own.

14. SerDel

SerDel Third Year

The first chapter was horrible; Thousandth description of Harry's magical trunk, Ginny buying him a better pensieve (not to mention that those things werent used once in this fic), Author Notes sprouting left and right, and the introduction of the annoying elven speach almost caused me to stop reading.

Spoilers ahead!

But in the desperate search of fic to read I decided to give it a shot. Now I'm regretting it. The Plot, at the first glance interesting, if not little repetitive is concealed among a whole lot of fangirlishness. Harry ventures to middle earth, gaining a lot of experience, apparentyl living more than two thousands years there; but he doesn't wan't to stay there, he misses his best friends (who he remembers despite twenty centuires) and decides to travel back with his own elvish mary sue as wife. The fact that Harry is so dreamy, beautiful and gourgeus is pointed out at least once in each following chapter.

Another thing that I couldn't stomach was the fact that half of the fic is in flashbacks from middle earth, which does nothing for a plot, just repeating silmarillion/LoTR stories; that said I just scrolled down most of them. Moreover, author answers to every review he has on the end of each chapter, which is, at least annoying.

The two thousand years of Harry experience are told like they were months not years i.e. He traveled different parts of middleearth for xx years.

The elven speach looks like ctrl+v'ed from some moronic tolkien translator, as if anybody gave a shit about elfish blabbing, which we cannot understand. Even the elven Mary Sue, despide having elfish name, is in whole fic mentioned as Violet( !) for the connviniance of an author.

I stopped reading it when whole lot of HP characters were teleported by Harry (unintentionally) to Middleearth. I doubt the fic would get any better later.

Over all, this fic misses author's skills. It could be good if done by someone with decent writing abilities though.

2/5

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  15. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

What the hell? When did that happen?

16. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

This sounds like The Black Wizard by Azraeos.

The link is below 'Similar Threads'.

17. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

Indeed, but the rest of the review had sounded like he was talking about the story.

Is The Black Wizard that similar? I only bothered with a couple of chapters from it before giving up.

18. SerDel

SerDel Third Year

It's quote from the fic, chapter 13 or so. From what I gathered Harry teleported whole bunch of HP characters to Lothlorien. It can be a dream or something like that, but I have lsot my patience for the fic.

19. Goose

Goose First Year DLP Supporter

When this story first came out I was trying to find something that would satisfy my demand for LOTR/HP crossovers. Suffice to say, I really loved it in its original posting.

Now I can't remember why I had even bothered.

You know an author has reached a roadblock in their story when they decide to do a 'rewrite'. I don't have any expectations that this story will ever be completed, you just need to look at the authors other (unfinished) stories to see the proof.

20. Insomniac

Insomniac First Year

In my opinion this fic totally died. The author didn't even attempt to make the fic believeable, it totally ruined the story in my opinion. If someone writes a Lotr/Hp cross I think it should forget about the magical world and focus on just Harry in the lotr world at all times. I wish they had something along those lines written well. But very rarely are crossovers done well.