1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

funny money

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Syn, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Syn

Syn Fourth Year

eh, who paid for harry's broom in first year? was that ever mentioned? or is it reasonable to assume they just got money from his vault?

2. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I had always assumed that McGonagall purchased it.

3. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

Same here. It could have been taken from his vault, though, seeing as the Mother Weasley whore manages to take money out without any problem.

4. Spacks

Spacks Order Member DLP Supporter

Yeah I hate that too.

Especially in 6th book, how Bill hands Harry a sack ful of gold.

I mean, why the fuck would he be in Harry's vault for!?

5. Rain

Rain Pirate Navigator of the 7 Seas

I always assumed Harry paid for it out of his vault. It was one of the reasons I always assumed something was fishy about the way Dumbledore was involved in his financials. Wasn't the Nimbus a 1000 galleons or so? (sorry, if I'm wrong. I don't own the PS/SS) I wouldn't think school funds would pay that, or anyone in thier right mind paying that much for a first year's broom who hadn't even proven himself in a game yet.

Of course, she might have drawn into her budget for Quidditch to pay for it, assuming there is one.

6. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

see if the school bought it they would keep it..over the summer...but harry took it over the summer...thus the school didn't buy it. Now the question becomes why do so many people have access to his bank account?

7. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I could actually see Dumbledore secretly sticking his fingers into the Hogwarts cookie jar to buy a Quidditch broom for his favorite. I mean, his preferential treatment regarding Harry is pretty blatant in canon. Especially when the Nimbus helps his own old house win the cup and dethrone those nasty Slytherins. So yeah, if not McGonagall, I could see Dumbledore buying it using his own money or surreptitiously using the school's funds to give Harry a gift under the table.

8. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    The reason why so many people have access to Harry's accounts is simple. It's because they can't appreciate the power of the knork.

9. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Harry also gives the key out pretty willy-nilly. He GAVE it to Molly to get his money. I don't know if he ever got it back, but...

And I think Dumbles bought the broom.

10. LINKed up

No, it was the knasty power of the Knasty Knork that caused all of this. That and Chuck Norris and his Roundhouse Kick.

11. DGD

DGD Headmaster

Err. . . suuure it is.

Btw: your sig gave me a headache.

12. LINKed up

Of course it is, Chuck Norris is behind everything. Could you read my sig?

13. DGD

DGD Headmaster

P|-|3r /\/\Y 1337|\|3$$ = phear my leetness= fear my idiot talk :p , lol. Sorry, but leetspeak irks the crap out of me.

14. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I see this as likely ( DD or McGon ). Both seem extremely Gryffindor biased for two different reasons. McGonnagal naturally favors her own house, much as a paranoid person would favor a safehouse; Slytherins seem to have left a mark on her.

As for Dumbledore I see him favoring Gryffindor to curry good will with Harry. Many actions, such as letting him stay on the team - despite the rule against 1rst years - can easily be attributed to manipulation; albeit not very subtle.

We have to face facts. This universe we manipulate into our own liking, is in reality unbearable. The kid we write as dark, funny, sadistic ext. is in truth and in canon just a pathetic naive kid. He lets people around him manipulate him, gives them the key to his vault - despite being told his dad was a pureblood and knowing the nature of the Weasleys finances. Greed is not an element of human nature that people are exempt from, we all have it. Add to basic instinct motherly instinct to see her/his kids with the best they can give and it adds up to one possible outcome, theft.

15. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

This should probably be put in Harry Potter books...moved.

I think that it was probably Dumbles that either took the money out of Harry's vault or just payed for it from his own purse. I can see that. I can also see McGonagall pay for it as well, seeing as she wants her house to win.

16. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I'm all out for Manipulative!Dumbledore, power-hungry!Dumbledore, maybe even evil!Dumbledore, but Dumbledore the thief? No, it just doesn't sits well with me.

17. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

That just sounds plain weird hearing it...

18. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Not really a thief in the strictest sense. Albus is Headmaster, so I should think that he has the right to use school funds for whatever he deems right and proper. Still, I would think he'd pay for it on his own. Being around so long and doing so much work (Supreme Mugwump, Wizangamot head, Hogwarts Headmaster) probably lends to him having a shitload of gold that he never spends due to his living at Hogwarts pretty much gratis all year round. I would imagine that he has enough to fund the Order by himself in canon, unless had been stealing Harry's money to do so, which contradicts his character as you said. It's not like the organization had anybody with the gold to do so. They're mostly middle class people and poor fucks like Remus, Dung, the Weasleys, et cetera. So yeah, Dumbledore should easily be able to afford a broom to give Harry, though he can't blatant about coming out and handing it to him lest other students and their parents raise a shitstorm about him giving preferential treatment.

19. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

I hate the cliche about how Dumbledore steals the money to fund the Order.

WTF?

It's not like the Order needs money to run! What's he gonna buy for them? Extra wands? Bullshit...i don't see it happening.

I can understand when they say that he takes the money to give to the Weasleys and whatever, but this is just stupid.

I personally am a fan of the fics that have DUmbledore take Harry's money to pay the Weasleys, but it also leaves a lot of plot holes.

Many fics have stuff like Dumbledore takes the money, but when Harry finally gets into his Family Vault, he finds books by Merlin and whatnot. One would think that Dumbledore is at least smart enough to take such things as well...why leave a priceless book in the hands of a brat?

In response to the thread:

I don't see the Nimbus coming out of anyone's pocket but Harry's. We already knw that the boy is notoriously loose with money, shelling out like 60 Galleons for omnioculars at the drop of a hat. If 1000 galleons is a shitload of money, then 60 is a respectable amount.

I'm sure it came out of his own pocket, considering that DUmbledore somehow had the keys to Harry's vault. There's another plot-hole...even if Dumbledore is the guardian, why the fuck should he have access to the key of the kid's vault? It makes no sense. He is obviously not family.

20. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Oooh this'll be fun:

-_- Adopted parents( and likewise guardians ) would hold onto an infants key, no?

WTF do you need in war? Holsters, armor, funds for those who loose there jobs because of missions you send them on. Greedy soldiers. We already know DD's a flop at management in war so I wouldn't be suprised if hes made those sort of mistakes. ( Keeping greedy people within the Order )

Such as?
    Less paperwork? Less backlash? Less of a risk of Hp finding out and inquiring?