1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Lupin: Suck or not? -split from Neville/Ron thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zero, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Zero

Zero Seventh Year

I don't like Neville and i don't like Ron but if it comes down to who sucks more it's definitely Ron.

Why isn't Remus Lupin in this poll ?

2. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    Because he doesn't suck! :roll:

3. Zero

Zero Seventh Year

Well to me he does.

4. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    Your opinion *shrugs* :?

5. Goddess of Ran

Goddess of Ran Sixth Year

Only to you.

6. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I like the character at the face value it/he was presented at in PoA, but to me he sucks ass also.

-No explanation for not even attempting contact with Harry in 10 years+ he was with the Dursleys, nor bothering to contact him in year 1 or 2. Year 3: Lupin helped Harry learn, true, but he never really went out of his way to seem fatherly, he was just a good teacher. As it's a Harry centered universe, Lupin easily could of been doing the same for any other student, and it was done off scene.

We all blow Lupin way out of character in fanon, myself included, by making him a mentor and a awesome friend, when in reality the man's a broken shell that has done nothing the last decade+ of the story.

Where is he in GoF? Other then what, a brief apperance of two in OOTP, he's not seen, and I can't remember enough of HBP atm to recall what he did in that.

7. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    Well, Mid is right. Where the hell was Lupin? Altho, with the no contact thing, do you really think that outside of Dumbledore, Hagrid, McGonnagal, and some Muggles, that people knew where Harry lived? If they did, then Snape wouldn't be AS bitchy, etc.

8. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Could be that he has fallen for that whole BWL bullshit.

He obviously has very low selfesteem, with him being a werewolf and all. He probably think that he isn't worthy of anyone's attention (prooven by his relationshop with Tonks in HBP).

Now, imagine a man like that thinking about BWL. Like most of the wizarding world, he probably thought he's some super-rich kid surrounded by fans and friends and he really didn't see someone as low as him deserving of such a company.

He only met real Harry in year 3, but then he was forced to run away and hide when the word got out he's a werewolf. And then after Voldemort's ressurection, he was busy dealing with Werewolves and all. Add to that his still apparent feeling of unworthyness and you get a pretty good reason why he wouldn't seek out relationship with Harry (or anyone else, really).

9. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Evidentally enough people knew where Harry lived that he was running into strangely dressed folk who'd run up to shake his hand or bow to him and then disappear. I've argued before that his location, as JKR wrote it, would of been the worst kept secret imaginable

I like your theory IP, most reasonable explanation for Lupin I've ever heard

10. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Doesn't explain where he was Year 4 though. Year 5 is AFTER the resurrection. Year 4, he didn't even WRITE!!!

The guy vanishes. He makes NO appearance. He re-emerges in year 5 BRIEFLY to pick Harry up and then at the end. Small potatos. The guy is a loser. He thinks he's a loser AND HE'S RIGHT! He's a loser not because he's a werewolf, but because he's a bitch.

IP's explantion somewhat works, but it doesn't explain year 4. Also, Sirius BLACK was able to find Harry in less than A MONTH of his escape (remember the Black Dog on Privet Drive when Harry runs away?)

Trying to justify Remus's behavior is like tryng to fit a square peg into a round hole. It just doesn't work. You want to like the guy, but the fact remains that HE SUCKS!!

11. LINKed up

Wait, that happened? I gotta read the books again.

Or not, I'll just take your word for it. I'm too lazy to read them again.

12. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Yep. After he blows up Marge. Remember he's running away dragging his trunk when he sees something in the bushes. He pulls out his wand and sees a "Black dog" emerge. Harry stumbles backwards tripping over his trunk and thus summoning the Knight Bus for the first time in Harry Potter history. THey go to the Leaky Cauldron. And that's that. Which begs the question, if the most wanted man IN THE COUNTRY can find Harry in less than 3 weeks WITHOUT HIS WAND, just how secure is Harry really? And how lame is Remus for not even checking in with Harry? Just ANONYMOUSLY dropping by. Don't even say your name. Don't bow. He doesn't know you. Just walk by the area he lives in. Walk near his elementary and CHECK IN!! DO SOMETHING!!!

Boy, did James Potter know how to pick friends. One gets him killed. The other is impulsive and stupid, and the last abandons his kid. GREAT WORK JAMES!!!

Sirius also gambled with Snape's life in the "Werewolf Incident."

Boy, some guys really know how to surround themselves with good people. Then again, others don't.

13. apocalypsemeow

apocalypsemeow Professor DLP Supporter

Well, though Lupin may be a little lacking, esp. in 4, that does in no way mean that he is as sucky as Ron. See, in my opinion, Lupin is one of the better background characters. I don't think that JKR particularly meant for him to become more than a character that helps Harry overcome certain obstacles (e.g. DEMENTORS). Ron is a character who plays a larger role, is out on the front lines (metaphorically here, Ron probably would not fight in the books so much as Lupin. Ooh, front lines in the pages! :lol: ) Ron is a crappy guy who hangs around Harry, and is jealous of him. Remus is a character who is around occasionally, helps Harry occasionally, is an all-around decent guy, but stays in the background. Remus may not have been around for Harry in book 4, but just think of him being around playing some other role. I think I am repeating myself here.

Also, since when has this been a seperate thread?

14. LINKed up

Right then. Well, shit happens. Life's a bitch, and then you marry one. At least, so says my dad. j/k

15. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

No. Remus is supposed to be one of his father's best friends. Ignoring a kid for years is not cool. You're forcing Remus to be a good guy when all evidence points to the contrary. We've seen him help Harry learn the Patronus. That's it. If that's all he does in 10 years, then that's a good TEACHER not close family friend, which is what he was SUPPOSED to be. YOu could even argue that Crouch Jr. did more by forcing Harry to learn how to throw off the Imperious Curse.

16. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I'm not trying to justify his behavior and I don't want to like the guy (and I don't particulary).

I just like to see him as complex-multidimensional character - he's brave and generally good guy, but he thinks little of himself and he's afraid of getting close to anyone.

He's neither a super cool favourite uncle, neither a total jerk. He's just a man with a lot of problems trying to cope. Gray - like any other man really.

17. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

That I can live with. Its when they get into fanon Harry and Remus getting close and calling each other cub and shit. That pisses me off. As I see it, Remus has little to do with Harry and Harry has little to do with Remus. I think Remus should have done more, but it doesn't really matter. There is no need for anger from Harry directed at Remus because Remus hasn't done anything against OR for him. They feel very little about each other. I agree with this.

18. apocalypsemeow

apocalypsemeow Professor DLP Supporter

Yes, I am forcing him to be a good guy in the background. He may not be the greatest character, and may have been totally useless when Harry needed support, but at least he was useful to Harry. Yes, Crouch Jr. played a major part too, by forcing Harry to learn to throw off the imperious. He was useful, and Lupin played his role in book 3. He will probably die in book 7, Harry will grieve, etc. ip82 is right, he is gray, and he also has some self-confidence issues. He played his part, and will probably die in the next book.
    Also, people may just be going a little OOC when Harry/Lupin are all happy/friendly/family-like/etc.

19. LINKed up

So I should take Remus's actions and make the edges of them round so they are justified? Thats odd.

20. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Yes, but now it no longer fits into the hole. You've changed the nature of the peg. Therefore, its no longer Remus. That's what they've done. YOu see the analogy?

I need to get sleep. Work tomorrow.