1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry potter apprentices to Gellert Grindelwald?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Sepanto, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

I have a basic idea for a fic, in which Harry apprentices GG, however I need some help writing it (By the way,this story ignores the disgraces known as HP&HBP and HP&DH, it's a post OOP). I need help with 4 major spins which I find hard to write :

1) Why did Dumbledore leave Grindelwald alive?

2) How did Harry come to meet Grindelwald?

3) How and why did Grindelwald convince Harry to apprentice him?

4) What happens to the rest of the world ?

Thanks in advance!

2. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Sooo.... You have a basic idea, and you want us to flesh it out for you?

Do your own work, lazy ass.

Also; this doesnt belong in challenges.

3. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

I added alot of content to my idea (I can write the basic story-line) but I have 4 concepts which I failed to write convincingly.

Would you care moving it to the correct spot?

4. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Seventh Year

I have been planning out this storyline, but I fear that my concept of them meeting is utter fail and disease, I planned for Harry to be tried for using the Cruciatus on Bellatrix, but instead of Azkaban Dumbledore sends him to Nurmengard and thats how he meets Grindelwald. A lot of tweaking and so would have to be done, but utter epic fail would happen if I went along with this I believe.

5. headbanger22

headbanger22 Third Year

6. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Considering you have nothing planned other than a desire to use Grindelwald, here's an old plot bunny I'll never use. Mind you, it was conceived post-HBP and before DH came out:
    Dark Lord Filch for the win!

7. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Seventh Year

Thats just pure win, please write this.

8. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Ah c'mon nonjon. Now that I've read that idea, I really want to see it in action...

9. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Who the fuck just sits on sweet plots like that?

10. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Someone who regularly comes up with many equally sweet plots.

Amazing, nonjon, I'd love to read this.

11. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Erm... I posted this bunny up for grabs in Feb '07 it looks like. Guess I forgot to post it here. Oops.

In case I wasn't clear, if anyone wants the idea, it's up for grabs.

Maybe I should drop a few more old bunnies in the challenge section.

12. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Nonjon apparently. And Rorchach's blot, or whatever his name is.

*sigh* I had such a long, thought out post, and now it's gone... :cry:
    Now I have to think it up again.

Anyway, back on topic: Serpanto, I would suggest that you don't make Harry evil.
    I'm thinking more Shezza's Denarian Harry in terms of attitude/moral alignment.

Because Dumbledore could not bear to kill his former friend. According to DH anyway.

Or you could have it that he just hates to kill anyone at all.

Or Dumbledore thought he killed him, but he just ran for it and faked his death.
    Nurmengard would work, and Nonjon's would definitely work as well.

What I would do if I was writing this, is have it start off with Harry being expelled from Hogwarts. Y'know, the beginning of the 5th book incident.

And as Igor Karkaroff fled at the end of Goblet, lets say that the new Headmaster of Durmstrang is an acquaintance/friend of Dumbledore. And as the ministry cannot expel students from schools outside the country, Harry could be enrolled there until Dumbledore can think of a better solution.

Personally, I think Dumbledore would allow it in this circumstance because I seriously doubt that it's really a dark-magic school. It is probably an exaggeration from whoever said it. Slytherin is no more an evil house than Durmstrang is an evil school.

Anyway, at that point it should be rather easy for you to try to make up some circumstance for them Grindlewald and Harry to meet.
    I'm not writing the story though, you are, this is just a suggestion
    A very, very powerful wizard offers to train you? After rescuing you from some predicament or another, as Harry gets into them quite a lot. Maybe a Death eater attack. Harry would certainly be very cautious, but he would have no reason to find out it's Grindlewald.

And if Grindle doesn't want to be found out, I doubt he'd immediately suggest unforgivables as the new syllabus. If he's alive in your story, then he probably knows how to lay low.
    You'll have to figure that one out.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  13. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

I'm developing something similar in sort of Count of Monte Cristo type way, where he gets shipped off to Nurmengard. Grindelwald will be like Abbe Faria, though not the same character and the escape was to happen when Voldemort comes after the elder wand as in DH

14. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Yes, I'd immediately thougt of something similar when I first saw this topic. Alas that I have not the writing skills of Alexandre Dumas, or I might have attempted it. Of course, then I'd certainly not have his originality...

I look forward to reading that story, Randeemy.

15. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

I think an Escaped Grindelwald would be easiest for the meeting. Harry could either be disillusioned with Dumbledore, and fall for Gellert's offerings to teach him, or you could go for a Twin BWL approach. Another approach could be Harry disillusioned with Dumbledore after OotP, but still joining the order when requested, then, when taking Death Eater's to Nurmengard, which Dumbledore employs as his prison since Azkaban is either not safe, or has fallen, he encounters Grindelwald, who offers to teach him.

Also, just a little thing that would be cool to add: Grindelwald telling Harry of the Elder Wand, and tasking him to retrieve it from Dumbledore.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008