1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Help?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Abunix, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Abunix

Abunix Card Captored and buttsecksed

i'm making my first fan fiction story (so far I’ve been busy making my own easy to understand Lexicon (about Hogwarts the Ministry, and British Magical Society) because Cannon doesn’t really tell a lot about that stuff)
    this is all i have so far, and I desperately ask for help:

Harry goes back in time, creating a new timeline and POD
    Harry in the future was betrayed by the Order of the Phoenix and the Wizarding World after defeating Voldemort, discovering the “power he knows not” is the ability to steal magical abilities off of other creatures. When he returns to 4th year, he basically has all of his powers before adding anything, at what would have been his level at the age of 14. the point in time he enters would be after going to bed after being chosen as the 4th Champion.

When he gets into the fight with Ron, he completely dumps his ass; becoming better friends with Neville and Hermione instead.

No Clue about the Tasks, and i would like to make some original ones. Also want to have more than 3, since there is 3 much time to fill. Wanting this to be a Harry/Fleur ship, and to continue the ship past OOTP.

as you can see, not much to go on, Help!!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  2. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    How's that going for you?

So you're making an HP Lexicon about material not included in the HP series? That should be interesting.

I'm not familiar with that (spell?) and why does it have to be silver?

Alright so now some actual plot... sort of. POD=?

This sounds like a bad premise for Creature!Harry. He's a Wizard for fuck's sake, being able to understand the stars like a Centaur isn't going to do much for him.

You probably should have mentioned when he was returning too earlier. The way you phrased that question was really bad too.

Does anyone else smell pointless Ron hate and future hot slashy anal?

You seem to be under the assumption that a Wizard's personality afffects his wand choice. If that was the case they'd all be given practice wands and get their real ones around their twenties, you know once they finish going through all those mental and personality changes that happen during
    that thing called puberty.

Also, besides the Ron hate why would he care if Neville gets too handle Harry's wand all day? It's not like Harry's wand is going to take him form near squib to Uber!Wizard.

Plus Phoenix's die, turn into ash and then are reborn. It's kind of their thing, going by that the Phoenix Ash in Voldemort's Harry's Yew wand would last about 5 second before it exploded into a baby Phoenix

That'd be nice. Doubt you'll manage but it'd be nice.

Which, while nice for information on the Tournament, isn't much use elsewhere. He's basically the Sports Chair, not exactly a position with a lot of political clot.

Fuck. Fuck no. Listen you 'tard this is where you give us a plot, a real plot, and we tear it to pieces in the hopes of making it better. This is not give a horrible, vague outline of a stupid plot and get DLP to write my plot for me. We have better thing's to do then deal with this shit.

For tl;dr'ers EveryoneBetrayedMe!MagicalCreaturesAbilitiesVampire!Harry who went back to his Fourth Year so he could dump Ron and leave his wand in Neville's tender care... = GTFO

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

First, I couldn't resist ...
    Well, I bet the Cannon doesn't. They usually don't .

But back to your original question. If I try to summarise your post, and leaving out the obvious point about certain clichés -- you have read some HP-stories that involved Time-Travel (TM), thought 'hey, that's cool, I want to write that, too', but so far, you're missing a plot.

Well, my first tip -- don't start writing before you have one. If you do that, I assure you that you will abandon the story, and sooner rather than later.

And then, I don't want to sound rude (not now or at least yet, anyway) -- but are you asking us to give you a complete plot for an alternative forth year? That was how your question sounded to me ... I mean, I can only speak for myself, but if I had an awesome kick-ass plot-idea for Harry in forth year involving Harry/Fleur to boot, I would be writing it myself.

So maybe a few questions to help you thinking:

You said, you wanted to have more than three Tasks. However, if your Harry is simply gone back in time, why would this fourth year be different from the first one from the start?

What would your conflict be? Simply tension between Harry and Ron, Harry and Fleur -- a character driven story? Those are hard to write, I know that, I'm doing it at the moment. Or would it be the same as in GoF, effectively you retelling the book, only now Harry is more clever, more powerful, better looking, more confident ...

If you do the latter well, you'd get a story that one would read by-the-by, to pass the time. If you do it badly or even just mediocrely, you'd get a story no one wants to read.

If you do neither, you need to invent a new conflict. The easiest way here is to think up something bad that came from Harry travelling back in time -- he's got his powers, yes, but in turn there's now also _________ .

If you indeed want to go more or less completely AU (that's something different than simply travelling back in time), think about a better plan for Voldemort to get Harry out of Hogwarts. The old one with the Portkey-Cup is terrible anyway and logical inconsistent. How could Voldemort get Harry out of Hogwarts, for example, if Portkeys, just like Apparation, wouldn't work?

Yeah, so to sum this up, you've done it more or less the wrong way -- usually, you start with an idea for a plot you got spontaneously, and then ask yourself how to get there.

What you did is, you thought about how to get there, but have no plot to follow up. You have to think about that. But if you don't get a good idea, I'd consider putting this idea away for the moment, and doing something else.

It comes all down to what ideas you get.

Edit:
    WTF, Kalas, I feel like we both read two completely different posts ... where did you get that bit about Bagman, for example?

OP, did you edit your post? That's not nice.

4. Knox

Knox The Last Remnant DLP Supporter

At the crossroad where the demon lies. Waiting to
    So you plan on making a Fanon lexicon? So why do you need help to make the story? If you can make up all the shit on your lexicon, surely you can slap together a semi-decent plot. Unless of course you decide you lexicon doesn't have enough sweaty muscled Draco/Harry Pictures on it. If you ever feel that way never ever write.

Kalas, Not to agree with captain handy-tard but I'm almost positive in Ootp it states a baby Fawkes is in a pile of ashes, after he gets hit by the killing Curse. So by that logic, the ashes could be used.

5. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Obviously, this is a crossover with Pick of Destiny.

6. Knox

Ohhh thanks for pointing that out, I was thinking it was a P.O.D crossover and he was going to sing youth of the nation. But your Idea is more sound and less fail.

7. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

There already is an extremely good and easy to understand Lexicon, you're wasting your time.

Stupidly bashing Ron spells bad fic to me. Becoming best friends with Neville spells even worse fic.

Adding more Tasks? That's a retarded idea. 3 tasks is more than enough. Any more is just a waste of effort and words.

Don't write this story, please. It seems like you barely thought this out before you decided to make this thread. All of my plot bunnies fester in my head, with me nitpicking at them before I ever tell anyone else about them, to save me the embarrassment you're facing right now.

What's the plot of this story anyways? Do you even know? Are your only changes to canon the breaking of Harry's and Ron's friendship, adding more tasks, H/F, and giving Harry the powers of every magical creature he passes? Because that sounds pretty childish to me.

8. Koalas

High Score:
    And what I'm saying is, while the ashes could be used, in a couple minutes/hours/days/etc. the ashes will become a small phoenix chick. Inside a wand. The power of expansion vs. the power of wood.

9. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I think what he meant was phoenixes are reborn from the ashes, which does not imply that every spoonful of ash will eventually have a baby phoenix sprouting from it. I agree. I think phoenixes are reborn from the ashes, since whatever essence of life they have are still contained in it. It's not like the ash just gathers into a ball and transfigures into a baby bird.

It's magic. You're thinking too materialistically, or whatever. It's more of a... metaphor.

Phoenixes aren't amoebas. ;)

10. Koalas

High Score:
    I seem to remember a baby phoenix crawling out of it's ashes in one of the movies so canon evidence supporting your opinion. But I assumed ALL of the ashes were in the wand, which amounts to the same thing, expansion vs wood. And once a phoenix is reborn would the ashes still be magical? Or would they simply be ash?

11. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I can see how it can be argued that the ashes should be magical enough. Put it this way... unicorn hairs or phoenix feather are parts of magical creatures, and they don't need those creatures to be alive to work. So a part of a magical creature's body works as the core of a wand since it contains some of the magic of that creature when it had been alive. And if ashes contain some of a phoenix's essence, or whatever else we choose to call it, then it must be magical. Especially considering the fact that phoenixes are reborn as babies, so a lot of their essence are lost along the way during the rebirth. Some would argue that part of that essence would be contained in that ash.

However, all that is again too... materialistic. I think. The myth of a phoenix, burning spontaneously and being reborn from its ashes, is something of a metaphor, as Pratchett would say. The ash is a symbol of the... ending... of a past life. It shouldn't be anything except just ash. Because that's what being a phoenix means: leaving nothing of what you were behind.

Of course, I have my doubts if Jo would see it that way. :p

P.S. Also, I doubt the ash of a phoenix would work as a wand core even if it was magical. Phoenix feathers symbolize the unrestrained flight of a phoenix (in Potterverse, too, a Phoenix can appear anywhere -- it can't be restrained, like in the myth). Unicorn hairs symbolize their pristine nature or something. Dragon heartstring, too... seems to me Jo chose the wand cores by using the popular myths as a base. She did the same for the wood. Ashes of a phoenix... I just don't see it as a symbol of active power. Maybe that's just me though.

12. Knox

Thanks Mors for clarifying, And I can see what you mean but ashes are ten times better than 99.9 of made-up wand core in Fanfiction. Ive seen Dementor's blood...Do they even have whole body's, Or blood? And I would have thought by now that we would have realized that reality matters little to J.K so what we know in her world could not even exist. So lets just let the Dude write his crappy fic, None of us are going to take it serious anyways, If we even read it.

13. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Seventh Year

Not read any of the replies, but if your gonna have Harry stealing other peoples powers, at least have is Final Fantasy VIII style and let him draw the powers, draw the death stare from basilisks and pwn every mudda.

Edit, just seen that the newbs been buttsecksed and I fail lol.

14. Knox

Lol a bit late Mirkwood.

15. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

I wouldn't read it just so you know.

16. Nefar

Nefar Seventh Year

Where is Scott's intro? I want to post in it.

17. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Card Captored? There are Card Captor fans here? This is the last place I expected to find those.

/me stops posting in a topic that should be left for dead.