1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete It's All Relative on the Hellmouth by dellacouer - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Hadoren, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Hadoren

Hadoren High Inquisitor

Title: It's All Relative on the Hellmouth
    Author: dellacouer
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Angst
    DLP Category: Alternate
    Pairing: Harry/Buffy
    Chapters: 21
    Words: 111,690
    Updated: June 24, 2007
    Published: June 11, 2006

Summary: Harry Potter finds a new relative in Sunnydale. PostVoldemort, Harry needs a distraction. Hope Uncle Rupert can help a powerful Harry before the power takes control. Complete.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2985538/1/Its_All_Relative_on_the_Hellmouth

Good story, recommended.

I was reading the DLP other thread on one of dellacouer's stories, and I decided to check out this one, even though I normally shy away from crossovers.

The story's basically about Harry going away from England after the war ends to relax and have fun with the Hellmouth crew, with a rogue Death Eater thrown in. And it's at Sunnydale.

If you haven't ever seen Buffy the Vampire Slayer, as I haven't, it's still very easy to understand what's going on. Basically all you need to know is that Buffy kills vampires. (Pretty simple, see?) Not necessary to consult Wikipedia every other paragraph.

It's very readable, and there are times when the story really draws you in. The characterization is well done all-in-all; I never got lost amongst a mass of random names as sometimes happens in cross-overs. I know that Xander is the funny dude, Giles is the grumpy old man, Willow is Buffy's best friend, Angel is the jealous overprotective person, and Buffy is...Buffy. The only problem is Oz; I remember in the middle of the story I thought, "Who the hell is that person?"

I liked the Death Eater; it's quite hard to turn a secondary villain into somebody to be feared. On the other hand, the plot seems contrived. I mean, seriously, Buffy's love saves Harry? At least they didn't kiss when that happened.

On that topic, the romance is very gradual and very understated; it's like Tehan's story or joe6991's scene of Harry with Fleur. It feels real. Until chapter 10 or something I didn't even know that the two were going to be together, whereas in most stories it's obvious from chapter one. That's a very high compliment.

Definitely worth reading. A good story that's worthy of the library.

4.3/5

Checked by Minion, January 1, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2015
  2. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

I second this... found this on Nonjon's profile I think. Good read.
    4/5

How do you not know about buffy...

Its a Josh Whedon Export...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  3. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

4/5.

I'm amazed this story hadn't been in the Library previously. One of the two HP/BtVS crossovers I actually like.

4. Jearom

Jearom Sixth Year

I read this a while back. It was the first BtVS/HP cross I read. Wish all the other x-overs are as good as this.

4/5.

5. Mechanicalchrist

Mechanicalchrist Groundskeeper

There were a few moments where it got a bit too angsty for me, but as far as I'm concerned this was one of the best crossovers I've ever seen. Apparently there's a sequel in the works, too, which should be fun.

5/5

6. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I'm up to chapter seven at the moment and I'm enjoying it. Harry seems a little overpowered in some parts - magical sight? Geez... Character wise it's pretty solid to this point but not without its issues. Willow seems out of character a lot - she isn't much of a giggler, and she hasn't rambled on like she does. Giles is acting pretty odd. From what the OP said about Angel, he is probably out of character too. But overall, it is pretty well done insofar. I'll rate later once I've read through a bit more. Presently, though, I'd give it a four.

Reading onwards, I'm still interested. More so than at the start, actually. Though there are a number of things that bother me. Most especially is the increasing use of "Ox" for "Oz". That's a pretty damn big mistake. Starting a lot of sentances with 'And," or "But," isn't good either. Suffice to say the grammar isn't the best, but nothing that a read over wouldn't cure. Thankfully the story telling is pretty solid. I've got no problem with that.

As for the characters, I'm pretty satisfied now. Willow became a little more Willow and Angel was pretty much in character after all. He wasn't shown in the best light, but considering the point in the series this is set in, that's understandable. Giles' attitude was explained and has settled down.

I'll give it a four. Time, though, to read the climax.

And after it, I think I'd give it a four. It wasn't as climatic as I hoped. It was surprisingly easy to calm Harry but meh. Overall it was a pretty good crossover, all things considered.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  7. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

This story is meh, entertaining at times but it is mostly a semi-decent time waster.

3/5

8. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Tried reading this before, trying it again. Liking it a bit more than last time, but it still isn't great. Only reason I'm bothering with it is because I have nothing else to read.

Might get better in the later chapters, dunno.

9. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

Read this a while ago, and liked it. It's a little meh in parts, but overall it's good. 4/5

10. Synchro

Synchro High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Read it quite a while ago. A bit too angsty in places, but I didn't (and still don't) know what BtVS is so I can't judge really. I was also a bit disappointed with Macnair of all people being the villain. But it was good overall. 4/5

11. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

In his defense, he was written very well. And his plan was certainly well-executed. It might well have worked had he been slightly more aware of Harry's situation.

On topic... I liked it. I was surprised actually, but I did like it. Before this, I've never read/seen/heard anything about BtVS except a few minutes of idly browsing the comic book section.

It's well written, and it's still easy enough to keep track of what is happening even without prior knowledge of the series.

I suppose I'd say... 5/5

12. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

Ah, my favorite Buffy crossover. I read this quite a while ago, and still infrequently find myself checking to see if there's any news on the sequel.

The excellent characterization and the entirely believable interactions between characters (sadly something of a rarity) means this is a definite 5/5.

13. FrackoftheHeathens

FrackoftheHeathens First Year

I read this a long time ago. Back when I was still obsessed with Buffy. My favourite BtVS Crossover by far. There was some other one that was Harry/Faith... but whatever.

6/5.

14. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Read this a few days ago. It was okay, a little blah in places. The angsty parts and general love fest brought the score down a touch. Final rating: 3.5/5

15. The Deadman

The Deadman Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

This seems to be the only good Buffy/Harry crossover that I can find. Other than a few spelling and grammar mistakes, its pretty good. I give it a 4/5.

16. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

I read it a few weeks ago. My one problem with this story is Angsty!Giles. Otherwise I thought it was very good. I'll call it 4.3 of 5 stars-- it's a solid 4 star work, but Giles was just too overdone for my taste.

17. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

I am sort of a strict Buffy/Angel shipper so I haven't read this. Delacour does have a promising array so if ever I am truly bored I might try it.

18. Akuma-san

Akuma-san First Year

I truly enjoyed the story. Giles seems far to out of character at the start. He trained the slayer. Thus spotting a person who is capable of fighting shouldn’t be all that hard for him.
    <o></o>
    4.5/5

19. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

Read most of it last night and i like it, but i also really dislike it in a lot of parts. The continued angst that seems to grip most of the characters, particularly HP and his uncle are annoying to read, but the OC villain is portrayed rather well.

3/5 for this somethings just made me cringe one to many times.

20. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Jesus. I read this months ago.

3.5/5. It was good, one of the best BtVS crossovers I've read, but... yeah. Little to much angst.