1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Looking around, I saw a few Avatar threads where everyone was talking about the final episodes that just aired. I noticed there was a lot of talk about Avatar fanfiction as well, naturally. This is a fanfiction site, after all.

So, since the Naruto thread was pretty successful and lead the way for me in terms of getting into that fandom, I've decided to try it with Avatar: The Last Airbender.

I know there is no where near as many stories as Harry Potter and Naruto, but if anyone can find some good ones in such a comparatively small pool, DLP should be able.

So... I'll start us off.

Title: Object Lesson
    Author: Second Harrier
    Rating: K+
    Pairing: None as of yet, though maybe some one-sided Aang/Toph.
    Summary: From an unlikely teacher, a hard lesson, and what follows from it. Now ongoing.

It jumps around a little - the first chapter was originally just a oneshot - but it comes together in its own way. For those of you who want to know the gist of what happens...

Azula is now traveling with Aang and is his firebending master. Don't worry, she isn't all lovey-dovey with them. She's still a pretty big bitch and is plotting behind the scenes.

2. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Well, I didn't see this thread coming.
    There is definitely a lack of well-written Avatar stories out there, (Next to none actually) so I was surprised to see a thread for an almost dead fandom.

Anyway, I did manage to find one or two decent stories, back when I searched through the Avatar Library. Even if I've lost track of them by now, I'll be sure to post them once I manage to dig them out of my bottomless favorites list.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  3. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Even if we only get a handful of stories, it's better than nothing. Felt like the right time to do it, since everyone was buzzing from the finale.

I never expected even coming close to the amount of stories the Naruto thread got.

4. Knox

Knox The Last Remnant DLP Supporter

At the crossroad where the demon lies. Waiting to
    Hmm, Sadly the only semi decent Atla fics Ive seen are crossovers with Naruto. That makes me sad. But Ill look for some decent ones and post.

5. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

I'm actually writing an Avatar fanfic at the moment, i started from the beginning though so as to build up the characters how i want them - it's at 20k word count with 4 chapters so i hopefully should have it up soon.

Features a Dark!Sokka, Arrogant! and gradually Darkening!Aang along with an assortment of hopefully more realistic characters that come to realise the consequences and sacrifices in a time of war.

6. Paravon

Paravon Seventh Year

So you're completely raping every theme and meaning in canon just so that a magical cartoon for kids can fall to your level of 'Darker and Edgier = Maturity'?

:wall:

I'm sure it will be spectacular.
    :puke:

(Excuse me while I read 'A Second Chance at Life')

7. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Lol Sya. I don't know how you get into fanfiction without actually watching the show. XD

8. ChaosSora

ChaosSora Second Year

Prepare for extremely long story dump from a thread in /a/vatar (If you really want a link just PM me).

Title: Bittersweet
    Author: sugeatarc
    Summery: Sokka eyed the box warily. “Well, I still say it’s food. My food-sense is tingling, and it’s never wrong about these things.”

Story is pretty good for a light read, not really serious.

Title: What Friends Are For
    Author: Mercurial Phoenix
    Summary: This is a battle, and it's your final last call. It was a trial, you made a mistake, we know." -lyrics from Colbie Caillat's "Battle"...Aang realizes that he has to get serious about his upcoming battle against the Fire Lord.

The story is pretty good even if the song lyrics in the summery are annoying. I actually kind of wish a scene like this had happened in cannon.

Title: Parlor Tricks
    Author: Lyralocke
    Summary: AU, Kataang. It's 1927 and the city is at war. The Dragon Gang is taking over every speakeasy they can, and it's up to the Riversiders and the Aces to stop them. Just one problem. There's only one Ace left, and he doesn't think he has anything to prove.

This story really shouldn't be as good as it is. Still it really is just a retelling of cannon so their really aren't that many twists in the story.

Title: If You Bend It, They Will Cum
    Author: Data laughing
    Summery: I really wouldn't be linking a NC-17 story if it wasn't actually a good story. Also beware of incest between Zuko and Azula.

I have more stories but I'll post them later, my copy and past function is acting up.

9. Iztiak

This can be summed up as perhaps the only decent Avatar story that involves time-travel.

Or at least, the only one I have been able to find.

10. Knox

Thats the problem with a good show Aimed towards 12-13 year old's.They stumble across FFN while searching avatar and decide since they got a C+ on their English homework last week and they rock at writing.

11. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

The Setting Sun: The Imminent Dawn
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4142225/1/The_Setting_Sun_The_Imminent_Dawn
    Summery: Four years since Ozai's defeat, four years since the war's end, peace remains a distant dream. The former prince Zuko is on the run, while the Avatar is determined to turn the dream into reality, no matter what the cost.

Hope it updates... pretty awesome.

Title: In His Shoes
    Author: AvocadoLove
    Rating: K
    Pairing: None that I can see.
    Summary: In order to fully understand a man, you must first walk a mile in his shoes. Sokka and Zuko are going to find that out the hard way.

Interesting. Not just a retelling of old plot, switch the two does have some interesting consequences.

Author: Fandomme

She's good. She writes Zutara, but it's believable Zutara. Stormbenders and Ozai's Revenge are both awesome stories (and they're completed). Her one shots are also fairly well done. She's done a good job of expanding the Avatar universe.

12. Knox

I don't like Zuko and Zutara is unfortunetly almost Canon. Aazula is the only Atla pairing I support, Cause Azula's a Crazy bitch and proud of it.

13. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Title: Teaching Toph
    Author: blankdreamer-13
    Rating: K+
    Pairing: No pairing, but strong Aang/Toph hints.
    Summary: Aang is training, and Toph is once again trying to beat the airbender out of him. Wanting to explain his situation, Aang tries to teach her a bit about airbending.

Fun little story, nothing serious about it. Another story that started as a one-shot and become more. Has some interesting views on the different bending styles and how to train in them.

Only thing I don't really like about it is Katara and how she feels about the whole Aang/Toph thing. There is no getting around the fact she likes Aang, I'd imagine she would be pretty jealous. She's shown it before. But like most stories that want to ignore it, she's the 'mother figure'.

Whatever, it isn't a big issue. Good enough to read.

14. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

I've watched only a handful of Avatar episodes, and Aang annoys me. Dunno, it's probably because of the audience its written toward.

But if Aang is supposed to be some kind of spiritual, buddhist-daoism hybrid superhero, making him "dark and evil", wouldn't be hard, all you need to do is warp the plot around so he has to keep the balance of the world by fighting against his friends.

15. Iztiak

That would be fun to read, at least.

But it would definitely have to be written very well to pull it off. Not to mention a believable reason as to why fighting his friends would keep the world in balance.

16. dyslexicfaser

dyslexicfaser First Year

17. Zarent

Zarent Seventh Year

Title: Stormbenders
    Author: Fandomme
    Rating: T
    Pairing: Zuko / Katara
    Summary: Deep in the Fire Nation jungle, the Gaang meets a group of rogue water ninja who send Zuko and Katara on a mission to retrieve Ozai's secret battle plans.

It's a lot better than it sounds [but really, how hard is that <_<;;]. This actually seemed to capture the feel of the real show, and it's quite good. Thanks for making this thread, btw.

18. Lhefriel_Medies

Lhefriel_Medies Fifth Year

It's been somewhere in the neighborhood of two years since I've read an Avatar fanfic, but if my memory serves me, the stories recommended here were all pretty good. Keep in mind, these are all pretty old, so they're probably going to be neither as up to date nor as advanced as the ones you would see today, but I recall that I thought that the series on that list were shining examples of fanfiction as it should be at the time of my reading. Looking back, the story I went through again was a bit rougher than I remember it, but the reflection wasn't anywhere near bad enough to influence my original position, so my recommendation easily stands.

The MiST section of the website is also a good list of what to avoid at all costs, although most of them are probably too old to really come up now.

19. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

Cool link Lhefriel, it has some fairly descent Avatar fics, though seeing as the ones i've clicked on have linked to FF.nuts and i've fairly certainly looked high and low on whats offered there im cautious.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  20. Bucks

Bucks Headmaster DLP Supporter

I've been hearing about this great Naruto/Avatar x over but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I have seen a few, but they were shit. :(