PDA

View Full Version : Soul Calibur 4

Sree
07-29-2008, 10:46 PM
So I just got the game for the PS3. Haven't played the actual story yet, just messed around in training and played a few guys online. Playing against people online on a games release date is awesome, no one knows wtf they're doing and they're just mashing buttons. I kept owning these two faggots that couldn't even block because I had bothered to train for 10 minutes beforehand. XD

Anyways, who else has it? Thoughts?

Novamute
07-30-2008, 12:03 PM
Bought the 360 version yesterday and spent quite a bit of time playing it. I think that it's a great fighting game and that it definately continues the Soul Caliber tradition of excellence a playability. Haven't been able to get an online match going yet, so no opinion there. I have been playing a lot of the Tower levels and playing around with the character creation. It's a pretty in depth system and I do like the rpg elements that the skill system brings to the experience. The character creator is pretty deep at least in my opinon. I have been playing as Yoda quite a bit and I found his control scheme to be really quite fun. Little bastard is a flying muppet of ass-kickery. What do PS3 gamers think of Vader?

The Deadman
07-30-2008, 12:08 PM
I got this yesterday and spent all day playing it. This game is full of win. Vader isn't so bad, but it's kind of difficult for me to control him. But that's just me.

Sree
07-30-2008, 01:01 PM
Vader is pretty fun to play with. I still have to get a handle on his Force moves though. ~_~

Nightmare is also an awesome character to play with. XD

Iztiak
07-30-2008, 07:06 PM
I haven't played it yet, I might rent it though.

Are the Jedi pretty well balanced?

kraytkiller
07-30-2008, 07:59 PM
I haven't played it yet, I might rent it though.

Are the Jedi pretty well balanced?

Guildmate of mine broke his cellphone, TV, TV remote and mic because he got so frustrated trying to beat some kind of jedi apprentice.

So i'd say theyre rather balanced, yeah.

Sree
07-30-2008, 08:05 PM
... what? Rofl.

Yeah, I had a lot of trouble beating the Jedi Apprentice in the arcade mode. More trouble with him than the final boss, in fact. Took 20 minutes to beat him, 10 or so minutes to beat the last character. Worth it in the end, got the Apprentice. :D

I like the Apprentice much more than Vader for the sole fact that he's agile. Vader moves too slow for me. >_>

kraytkiller
07-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Wish I had the money to buy this game, but I have to save up for MMO subscriptions. Lame. The commercials looked pretty amazing.

Archer
07-31-2008, 02:11 AM
Soulcalibur or Soul Calibur not "Soul Caliber".

Wildfeather
07-31-2008, 03:12 AM
^lol

I haven't played yet, but I thought I'd comment. Why would anyone think Vader would move fast? Or even regular speed? We saw what happened to him in RotS, don't you think he might have had trouble breathing, and he couldn't move quickly?

Anyway how is yoda? A friend of mine got it and I'll probably play tomorrow.

kraytkiller
07-31-2008, 03:27 AM
^lol

I haven't played yet, but I thought I'd comment. Why would anyone think Vader would move fast? Or even regular speed? We saw what happened to him in RotS, don't you think he might have had trouble breathing, and he couldn't move quickly?

Yeah, I once read a Star Wars book (An actual, official book) where it mentioned that his suit was rather badly crafted and had several problems and he didn't get used to it until after 10+ years of being in the thing, and had to remake his entire lightsaber style due to it. Also it was amazingly heavy of course, I believe he had to use the force to even be able to move.

I heard yoda is kind of annoying to play with, since every attack is a jump, as it should be. But I also heard that he attacks super quick and if your good with him it really shows skill. But, I have not played the game at all though I have ordered it now. So this is all collected from comments on youtube videos and the like.

Havoc
08-01-2008, 07:52 PM
One thing is for certain about Yoda. If you have a friend that's grab happy, USE THE SHORT GREEN GUY. Fucker can't be grabbed.

Sree
08-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Funny thing about that is that even if you have two Yoda's against each other, they can't grab each other. XD

But yeah, I hear Yoda is fucked up. He's so short that some moves just go right over him, and then there's the whole grab thing.

Chime
08-01-2008, 10:23 PM
The game looks interesting. Makes me wish I had a PS3/Xbox360.

But I hated SC3... so I'm still wary. How is balance? Move sets? Are they more like SC2 or SC3? I loved the first and second Soul Caliburs.

And what's with Soul Calibur and cameos? First there's Link/Spawn then Lloyd and now Star Wars stuff. It's a little awkward, no?

Archer
08-03-2008, 01:36 PM
I lol @ Zasalamel in a suit.

But then again, out of all the endings that was the best one.

Magus
08-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Yoda is ridiculously broken in comparison with the other Jedi. I gave Vader a whirl yesterday at my PS3 owning mate's house, but for online annihilation he's got nothing on the green midget.

Seeing some dumb twat try to grab me for the 5th time online: Priceless.

Still, just unlocked the Apprentice, (my advice, use some Kilik-Fu) so now its time to try out the character creation. Hmmm... hopefully Katanas won't be plagued by instant-fail online in SC4 as well.

Midknight
08-04-2008, 07:05 PM
How the hell did they work in the Jedi's into the game?

Sree
08-04-2008, 07:35 PM
From what I can remember of Darth Vader's story, he sensed a slight ripple of power. He didn't dismiss it and began an investigation, without anyone else knowing. As time went on, the ripples became more frequent, until there was a constant disturbance in that area of space. He realized that a being from another dimension was trying to open a portal into their universe.

He figured out that there was an immense energy source beyond the portal. He wanted that energy for himself, so he secured that area, and once the portal was fully open, he entered. The power, of course, are the two swords.

The apprentice's story is basically the same, I think, except that Vader sent him into the portal instead of going in himself.

But does the story really matter? :p

Poytin
08-04-2008, 11:11 PM
I have this game and I can officially say I still fucking pwn with Voldo.

The Mysterious Nobody
08-13-2008, 12:34 PM
I have this game and I can officially say I still fucking pwn with Voldo.

Hate that freak. It's just disgusting, and his moonwalk doesn't make it any better.

Love Amy, though. Fast and agile as hell, just how I like my characters in a Fighting game (and my lolis). The only problem I've got with her is her short range, which puts me at a huge disadvantage against Siegrfried, Nightmare, Astaroth and other "big bastards".

As for the Jedis, Yoda is sort of broken but fun to play with, and the apprentice makes a hell of a fighter once you learn to control him.

Sree
08-13-2008, 12:38 PM
The Apprentice is my favorite, followed by Amy for when I want to kick Zombie's ass. Because he's a button mashing spammer.

The Mysterious Nobody
08-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Do you know how to unlock the treasure chests in the Tower of Souls mode? The ones I've managed to open were unlocked by pure luck, as I don't know how the hell I did it.

Is there another way to get new stuff for the character's editor aside from the Tower of Souls?

Sree
08-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Go to gamefaqs, they have a list of every level and how to get the treasure chests. Some stages it's ridiculously hard, some are ridiculously easy to get.

And yes, the more Honors you get, and the more style upgrades you get, the more stuff becomes available to you.

Magus
08-13-2008, 04:02 PM
@Poytin. The Mysterious Nobody is right. Voldo is a sickening freak. The thought of a legion of unwashed SC4 players wanting to writhe like Voldo.... Nauseates me.

My new fav: Hilde.

I dearly wish I'd have the opportunity to grind Sree into the dust. She's a nasty bitch with that Lance.

I don't really dig the apprentice, it seems that whenever I'm coming up against long-rangers like Nightmare and Siegfried he gets pulped.

Has anyone created any characters they're particularly proud of? I'm gonna post some of mine tomorrow when I've got access to a HDTV.

Poytin
08-13-2008, 04:05 PM
I just kick ass at his fighting style. However I am very good at most fighting styles.

I don't like Hilde however... her fighting style is off in my opinion.

Sree
08-13-2008, 07:35 PM
I'm guessing you're a Xbox faggot, Magus? ;)

Magus
08-13-2008, 08:45 PM
@Jolly Rancher: Yep indeedy, thats me. XMB FTW! As long as it doesn't kill your console that is...

Just admit it, you're relieved you won't ever have to take me on. Don't worry, it's a perfectly natural reaction.

@Poytin: The main niggle I have with SC4 is that there there isn't a obvious Voldo clone, eliminating that potential excuse for all time.

Hilde does taking a bit of getting used to, at first I found her to be somewhat like the bastard child of Kilik and Raphael. She's still worth getting used to though, just for her critical finisher. Its not quite as hilarious as Yoda's but its definitely a close second.

Sree
08-13-2008, 08:54 PM
What? XMB is Playstation and PSP. :S

And I'd kick your ass. ;)

reggin
08-13-2008, 09:06 PM
Is this game worth buying? I have enough games to trade in for value so I don't have to pay full price.

Sree
08-13-2008, 09:27 PM
2 pages of posts, and not one bad comment. I don't get why you have to even ask when it's obvious what the answer is going to be.

Drake
08-24-2008, 09:03 PM
I just got this game, and have now finished story mode with all the characters. Out of all of them I enjoy Amy the most followed closely by Cervantes. It is just so much fun shooting people in the head. Haven't tried fighting people online yet.

Krogan
08-26-2008, 09:18 AM
So how far has everybody got on Tower of Souls? I'm stuck on the boss for floor 20.

Archer
08-29-2008, 08:40 AM
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/9113/minind7.jpg (http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b350/SubTank123/1219819098816.jpg)

Memory King
08-29-2008, 12:24 PM
So how far has everybody got on Tower of Souls? I'm stuck on the boss for floor 20.

I've only managed to beat everyone on Floor 37 once, will have to to it again though. The time keeps on running out, will probably have to make my characters super-powerful to win.

MrINBN
09-09-2008, 09:20 PM
What I do is scum with Astaroth. 1[X] Y, followed by 2 3 6 Y+B takes 90% of anything's health away if they're dumb enough to get hit with the second part.

7 8 9
4 N 6
1 2 3

[X] means hold, X+Y means push at the same time.