1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Hard Drive problem?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spacks, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Spacks

Spacks Order Member DLP Supporter

I think my hard drive is about to die...

I restarted my computer this morning, after noticing it was rather sluggish, only to notice a screen that hit me like a freight train.

"SMART hard drive may suffer imminent failure" or something like that.

I have no idea what that means, though it sounds like my version of the apocalypse!

Luckily, there was an ignore option, so me being a computer addict had to choose it. But damn, the computer is so fucken slow now!

*cries*

2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Better start backuping...

3. Rain

Rain Pirate Navigator of the 7 Seas

Oh, that sucks! I'm still crying over mine. (In short, I have no idea how to help you.)

Mine crashed (Not crashed, my computer is dead, totally unsalvagable *sob*) a few weeks ago, I lost over half of my stories, and most of my edits (because I am an idiot and don't remember to backup my files). Sad, sad day! So I moved in with my father, lol! How sad, move back just for the computer, I'm sure he was feeling appreciated. Anyway, while we are on the subject of computers...

Anyone know where I can find a cheap, reliable computer? A particular company not to buy from... I'd appreciate it.

4. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

That warning means time to go shopping now. If you have a cd-burner on the box or better yet-- a DVD burner start burning all your important files now. If you can afford to replace the hard drive and copy everything over to the new one that'd be better of course but if not and you have a burner start burning NOW. If you have DSL or broadband and a friend with a FTP server you can trust with your files see if you can start moving things to his server temporarily.

As opposed to the Windows error which would be just a few sectors were written to wrongly; this is an actual hardware issue. You hard drive is living on borrowed time now. It may not happen today it may not happen tomorrow but some time in the near future you'll be unable to read or write anything off that machine. Until you buy a new hard drive.

If you know what one is I'd recommend trying to use a 'live-cd' version of Linux and living there as much as you can (assuming you can make the live cd connect to the net) so as to reduce the wear and tear on the hard drive as much as possible. You know that slowness? That's the end approaching...

If you're tech savy I'd recommend shopping around for a new hard drive at various computer stores as well as odd places like Target which is where I picked up my secod drive for under a hundred.

Since I doubt you're as tech savy as to install it yourself (else you'd not be asking about the SMART warning message. I'd recommend you save up your money and bring it to a shop to buy and have a new hard drive put in. Given the cost of 'labor' these days I'd check and see if buying a new box were an option beofre shelling out to have the box serviced. Depends on how old it is.

--bornagainpenguin

EDIT - added some more information

5. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

Total amount of damage i've done to computers over the years....1 fried motherboard...4 crashed harddrives.

6. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

7. Violent Seas

Violent Seas Sixth Year

:( how long have you had the computer and drive?

SMART is just a self-monitoring system for your hard drive, that gives you a message when your hard drive is going to die. But ya, definitely time to buy a new drive or computer.

8. bornagainpenguin

The thing that worries me is the fact that he says the machine is slowing down...

--bornagainpenguin (who recommends that if nothing else Spacks be sure to export his bookmarks to a safe place! If I had a half cent for every post I saw with the words.. 'I lost my bookmarks due to a hard drive crash...")

9. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

While it is worrisome, and I would recommend keeping a backup handy, and possibly another disk, I would worry too much. Usually when SMART drives get enough ATA errors, they begin reporting "Imminent Death!" This server has been telling me for three months that my server's main drive is at risk of burning up.

The bogging down may be completely unrelated. If disk seeks are taking a long time, I'd be a bit more worried, but it may be that the I/O buffer is just filled (the RAM is all used), and so it has to wait for space to clear before more data can be read. If the RAM is all used, then it also means it's swapping (or paging as the Windows term is) memory out to disk to make more room for applications that need it.

Dealing with high-volume servers, I tend to come across problems like these. They'll have some web application drawing huge amounts of data (possibly from MySQL) and end up bogging down due to I/O buffer issues.

That said, I still recommend getting another drive, possibly setting up a RAID 0 (striping, or the replication of data) so if it does go out, you'll keep on running, even though one of the drives in the array is dead.

Good lord my internet sucks today. 4kb/s...

10. DGD

DGD Headmaster

Is a "Windows virtual memory to low" anything to worry about?

11. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

It means you're using a lot of memory, and it's paging it out to the hard drive. If your virtual memory is low, something is using a bunch of memory, or you're just running too much stuff at once. *looks guiltily*

If it asks to make it bigger, go for it, but I'd recommend adding another stick of ram. Preferably matched sticks.

12. Violent Seas

Violent Seas Sixth Year

:shock:

it doesn't really matter that much, does it? I mean, sure, in the long run it will have adverse effects, but hopefully you'll buy a new comp/new drives later anyway.....

...huh?

13. Spacks

I know how to install a HDD into a PC but not a laptop. It's probably the same way, but I don't want to tinkle around inside a rented computer.
    Since it's rented it's on a 3 year contract, meaning we have to use it for 3 years, so no computer until the 3 years up (1 more yr w00t) so we'll probably end up getting a new HDD.

I'm going to put my backup my entire /Application Data/Mozilla folder. That's pretty much all I care about :p

Though it'd be sad to see my Lost and SGA and SG1 go :( but I can always download them again :D

14. bornagainpenguin

If you've got a burner try burining them.

--bornagainpenguin

15. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Change your page file to be 1.5 times the amount of your physical ram if it isn't already, and uncheck Let Windows manage my swap file, change that to custom and enter the above amount, preferably on a drive that is not your windows installation drive.

I followed the above tips and stuck a 2 gig swap file on my D drive (windows is on C) and the improvement I got in memory intensive stuff like video editing and BF2 was astonomical.

16. DGD

DGD Headmaster

Err. . . one word, what?!

:O_O:

17. Spacks

I think he's partitioned his drive and allocated 2GB on his HDD for page file?

18. DGD

DGD Headmaster

I really need to take a computer course. . . I'm clueless.

19. Rain

Rain Pirate Navigator of the 7 Seas

You're not the only one. :?

20. Spacks

I would but the HDD would probably die...

I backed up my bookmarks/extensions for firefox onto my gmail account using an excellent little extension called Gspace