1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Drink Up, Me Hearties by Tinn Tam - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Tinn Tam, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

Title: Drink Up, Me Hearties
    Author: Tinn Tam
    Rating: T
    Genre: Action/Adventure. Crossover.
    DLP Category: The Alternate's
    Pairing: None as of yet.
    Chapters: 6
    Words: 44,326
    Updated: November 9, 2009
    Published: May 10, 2008

Summary: When Harry and Hermione's visit to Godric's Hollow goes terribly wrong, they escape into a parallel world where greed and rancor rekindle an old war for the mastery of the sea. And it so happens someone they thought dead crossed too, long before they did.

Links
    :
    FF.Net
    PatronusCharm

Checked by Minion, January 1, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2013
  2. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

As I said on the WBA thread, awesome story.

My only complaint, if it can be called that, is that I wish that magic would make a reappearance.

5/5

3. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

I really like this story. It's a different spin on the whole HP/PotC crossover, and I like it. It works. The pacing is really good, and I like how Harry and Hermione act in the new world. It feels and reads like how they would actually react, so that's a plus. My only complaint is how quickly they found James Potter. Seems a little sudden, but I don't know.

5/5

4. Shujin

Shujin Second Year

So far, its the best HP/PoTC that I have read so far. Nothing too much to complain about, other than the convenience of Hermione reading up on disappearing AK victims but I can over look that.
    4.5/5 from me.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  5. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

You updated, Tinn!

Yay!

This is a fun story, and a well-written (duh if you know the author) crossover, which puts it in a fairly small group of stories.

5/5 for me.

6. azrael

azrael Professor

This is the first HP/PotC I have read, but I liked it. 5/5, and I really want to know, will magic be making a comeback?

7. Jaba

Jaba Backtraced

The redneck infested area of Fl. Panhandle
    Better than the Song of the Trees fic Tin Tam already has out. And since it's POTC and not slash it deserves a 5/5.

8. Dante

Dante Slug Club Member

Tin, you're evil. You just don't leave cliffies like that! :D Anyway, amazing, original story. 5/5.

9. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

@ Pirates crossover +1
    @ No slash +1
    @ Bloody amazing story +3

5/5. want MOAR!! ...pretty please?:rolleyes:

10. J22

J22 Seventh Year

As Iztiak said lack of magic was slightly annoying and to be honest I've never liked Pirates all that much but this was good. Well played sir, well played...
    4/5

11. Dirk Diggory

Dirk Diggory Seventh Year

Yeah. Not full wand casting, 40 foot tall dragon made of fire magic. But little bits of wandless magic would add some flavor and make it more HP instead of Random Characters Thrown Into Crossover.

12. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

This story is very good. So far it has the feel of a 4-star story, but it's too early for me to rate it 4 stars officially though.

13. Jenkins

Jenkins Forum Bike DLP Supporter

I like it a lot. Not a huge fan of the HP/PotC crossovers at all, same reason I hate a lot of fanfcition really though, so it's not genre discriminative. Writing is awesome like your other stuff and it all flows really well.

However, I don't feel as though you've done Jack well. Harry's character I like, same with most of the others, though Jack's just feels...different. Not really like him in the movies, and not how I like him in writing though. Just what I thought, it doesn't seem to suit the way the movies potrayed him though.

Still, great fic 4/5.

14. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

This is Jack before Barbossa's betrayal, before the crew turned on him, before being dumped on a spit of land and left with nothing but rum to keep him company for gods alone know how long. Of course he's different.

I'm enjoying this fic, shameless indulgence of Tinn's Johnny Depp fangirlism notwithstanding. Full marks.

15. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

Eh, I don't see what everybody else is seeing. A crossover with a fandom that isn't that crash-hot and an utter lack of magic. I might change my vote later, but 2/5 for now, mostly because of characterization and that.

16. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Better than I thought it would be.

The utter lack of magic as Shezza put it is a bit of a dampener, but knowing Tinn, there is probably a reason for it and probably not permanent. I hope, anyway.

Characterizations are mostly good, with Jack's being pretty off. He's way too serious, especially for Post-AWE. The only time he got truly serious was when he knew the world was going down the shitter and something needed to be done. Even before his death, he joked a bit.

Your Jack and canon Jack feel like two different people, for the most part.

Writing is solid, very few mistakes if any. I find it hard to believe you are French sometimes and English is your second language.

Enjoyable, but mostly because of how the characters interact. Nothing has really happened yet, plot wise, and the lack of magic is a sticky part.

I thought two out of a five was a bit harsh from Shezza. Probably not a PotC fan, for whatever reason. I'd give it a three.

17. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

Quite true, Raven. PoTC, imo, was overrated. Past the fangirls/boys screaming for Kiera Knightly, Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom, was a substandard trilogy about crappy pirates.

18. Tinn Tam

Thanks for the reviews. Now,

Not completely away. Part of James' successes at piracy was due to minor uses of his magic, the fog in the last chapter really was unnatural, and there are more specific uses of magic to come. The characters will find a way to recover their own magic, and eventually, they'll go back home.

I considered dragging it on but the lack of magic bothered me as well, and they have no way to know more about magic if they don't meet James. Although they won't be One Big Happy Family from this chapter on -- Jack had a reason to help Harry find his father; he knew perfectly well who was James.

Yeah, I know. I didn't have time to waste on the explanation, so I did it the JKR way. :p
    I'll start getting complexes if I keep seeing that.

...Lol.

Now that's precisely the criticism I feared. Even worse, the only answer I can give you is "Sorry, I don't think I can do better."

Jack's character is hard to portray, especially since he's a movie character and not a book one; everyone imagines what goes on in his head differently. Even so, I'm not too happy about the job I did on Sparrow. There's something missing, and I can't find what.

For the first chapter you're right -- in fact I'm reasonably happy with Jack in this chapter; oddly enough I'm usually happy with Jack when I'm writing his PoV, it's the way he's seen by others that's hard to write. However, 16 years later, all three movies have occurred (except the very end of the third one).

That's the problem. Some gave a good rating partly because of this "not crash-hot" fandom, regardless of how it was executed; since you're doing the exact contrary, well... it seems to be a matter of personal tastes.

19. MysterioX

MysterioX Professor

I disagree, while I am no fanboy of Johnny Depp, Kiera Knightly or Orlando Bloom tho’ I honestly think part of the success was due to the way Depp played Jack Sparrow, PoTC was a great trilogy in fact I hope that the rumors are true and they end up making another trilogy.
    But not had good as LoTR set.

As for this story, I am hesitant to read due to the comments about no magic.

20. Tinn Tam

Guhhh, a good thing I posted to confirm magic will return (and say there's already some kind of magic subsisting).