1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Last Chance, by Laume - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Banner, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Title: Last Chance
    Author: Laume
    Rating: T
    Genre: Gen
    DLP Category: AU General
    Pairing: none
    Chapters: 24
    Words: 51,567
    Updated: July 20, 2013

Published: August 8, 2008
    Summary: AU. In 1938, Albus Dumbledore heads to a London orphanage to deliver a letter to a muggleborn student, and decides to be reasonable when encountering Tommy Riddle.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4457149/1/Last_Chance

This is not the usual DLP concept, but I really enjoyed this Dumbledore: he's kind as well as perceptive, and willing to reach out to a child. It's interesting to see the possibilities. The universe might be changed by a bit of empathy combined with practical aid.

Or maybe not.

Checked by Minion, September 1, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2013
  2. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Not the normal thing to see around here but it is very interesting none the less. Tom is more or less in character but he still seems to be slightly less independent and sure of himself as he did in canon but not unusually so. I'll keep an eye on it but won't rate what's out so far.

3. Sully

Sully Groundskeeper

I'm quite interested in where this will lead to, Tom still seems to be in character but is submitting to Dumbledore's kindness and becoming a slightly different character.

I'll give it a 4/5 for now, since it's piqued my interest.

4. azrael

azrael Professor

Pretty good, I agree with previous posters. I like this Dumbledore, and I look forward to seeing how much of a change his empathy causes (assuming the story is updated)

I give this 4/5 for now.

5. Cy Block

Cy Block Second Year

Fair enough. That’s one giant leap into an alternative universe right there. I can’t really tell if it’s going to be any good, because the story hasn’t even properly started yet. This can go wrong in so many ways, but we shall see.

The fact that Ollivander’s was dealt with in a sentence speaks for the author. As does the fact that the visit to Gringotts served a legitimate purpose for character dev. Here’s hoping that it will be good. Too early to rate.

6. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Looks very good so far, I'll reserve my opinion until a few more chapters come in though. 5/5 for now, though.

... but the guy seems to be a devout Christian. That sucks. Meh, I won't rate the story because of the author. >_>

7. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

Its okay so far and nice to see someone has written something where a young Tom Riddle Jr isn't a little evil dick head before he hits puberty or k nows of the magical world that Hogwarts resides in.

8. excalibur421

excalibur421 First Year

It's decent so far, nice to see a Dumbledore that isn't clueless and/or obsessed with 'the greater good.'

Only thing that bugged me was Tom's dialogue, at some parts it seemed too mature for a child his age. But maybe that's just me.

Tentative 4/5 for now.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  9. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I've been following this too, but I didn't post it here because i thought I was posting too many non-Harry centric stories lately and didn't want to push my luck. :p
    It's pretty good, 5/5 so far.

EDIT: I just noticed now, there was an A/N in the first chapter stating that one of the author's premises was that Tom Riddle suffered from [Reactive] Attachment Disorder. The DSM-IV-TR remarks about RAD that "Children with this mental disorder, associated with care that is "grossly pathological," fail to relate socially either by exhibiting markedly inhibited behavior or by indiscriminate social behavior." It just occurred to me that if anything, Harry might be more likely to suffer from this, not Tom Riddle.

P. S. To the person who was whining about the author being a Christian, don't be a biggot. If you'd discount works of literature because of the authors' religion, you'd end up with very few.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  10. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Yeah, because one line about him/her being Christian counts as whining right? Anyways, when I said I wouldn't rate the story because of the author, I meant I wouldn't judge the story because of the author.

Next time you decide to go off, look further. Slightly my fault this time, but still. Shut the fuck up and go back to posting more news stories. Because no one else on this site except you reads the news, obviously.

11. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Interesting. I certainly liked it.

There are far too few well written stories about Dumbledore.
    5/5 for now, but I will refrain from rating until I see where the plot is going.

12. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Rhawr. Sree's feeling catty.

But Mordac's overly sensitive. No one cares about the author's religion. Unless it spills over into the fic and turns into a preachy mess. Considering the author created and is plugging their "Christians For Potter" yahoogroup, then it's understandable that some readers are cautious. I think it'll be an unfounded worry, but the truth is not just anyone would want to start that group.

Getting back on topic, I really liked this. I've no idea where it's going or what the scope and depth will be. But already, I'm hoping that this Tom Riddle doesn't become Voldemort. We could be headed towards a moral that his descent into evil was inevitable, but my money's on redemption being A-OK with this author.

Going to follow this, but it could easily turn boring depending on how Laume handles it. 4/5 for nothing really wrong but nothing all that special yet.

13. SirDAMalot

SirDAMalot First Year

Well I can't really see were this fic is going, which is a point about the fic I don't really like.

The whole fight against Grindelwald is going to come, so that could be a direction for the plot. It would be pretty interesting too and I really liked the one I've read so far (Altered Destinies).

I really hope this TMR will become a fighter for the rights and better conditions of children, which hasn't been done before I think and would be a nice twist.

And although the story isn't Harry-centric, which would normally mean I don't read it, I liked it so I'll give it 4/5.

14. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

The author's Snape fanboy-ism want be a concern here, which is a big plush. Especially like how he's throwing WW references into the story, really getting into the narrative and the characterisation.

Too short to rate, but it looks like a solid 4/5 at the moment.

15. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

o_o

Seeing how Snape isn't going to be born for another 25 years or so, I don't see how that plays a part.

16. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

My post becomes a lot clearer when one checks what he's written in the past, quite a bit of it is filler about Snape's redemption. Like I said, something we don't have to worry about i this fic.

17. reggin

reggin Filthy Half-Breed DLP Supporter

I liked the fic and the users have already said what I was intending to say so i'll skip the echoing part. 5/5 for now.

18. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

Yep, a little short. But a solid 3-4 average/5 so far.

Harry not being the main focus is sorta new for me.

Dumbledore is, well, being die hard about saving Tom, when in cannon it seems he is being die hard about 'fixing' his mistake instead of saving Harry, redoing that particular mistake.

...Man, he really is a fun character to bash.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  19. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

updated.

Filler chapter, but that was to be excpected.

20. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

I just noticed that I hadn't actually rated this one when I posted it for the Library. It was only two chapters when I found it. Since it's now on Chapt 11, and the quality of the writing, characterization, and background are still perfect, I'm going with

5/5