1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Absent Power Settings on windows partition.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Zombie, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Okay. So, this started several days ago. I thought maybe it was when I installed a plug-in that would dim my screen when I was streaming video. I removed said plug-in when my screen started dying after a period of time.

I checked my power settings, and the power save features, and the profiles slot it empty. Screen-shot of empty power schemes.

I did several scans of my computer, and on the spyware scan, it brought up something with IRC in the file source. Here.

This is the report. Spyware is called HideWindows. Link.

It only started this recently, and in that time, my Paint program, and my Word Processor programs have gone missing, along with the power scheme settings, and a maintience tool thats in Tune Up program also has blank options.

Any suggestions on a fix, that doesn't include reinstalling windows or installing Ubuntu, as I already have it, would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Edit to Add: Removal of the spyware doesn't stop the problem.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  2. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

I'm assuming you've looked in %SystemRoot%\system32\ for mspaint.exe and (again, assuming you're talking about word pad) %ProgramFiles%\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe for WordPad. (Though, these MIGHT be different on Windows XP. I am currently on a Vista machine, as much as it pains me to use it. At least I can run Firefox and get SOME kind of security...)

Here is a possible fix for your missing profiles: http://windowsitpro.com/article/art...power-options-properties-dialog-is-empty.html

You can also do a "Windows Repair". http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8356.html

[OffTopic]You play 2Moons![/OffTopic]

3. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Yeah, I looked, completly gone. Its XP.

Thanks, Militis. I've worked out a solution with the folks in IRC. I'll use it tomorrow. And Yeah, sure do. I think you posted in the thread I was talking about it with someone once, I have a level 43 Bagi.

4. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

Ah, alright. Good luck with your Ex Pee fix. It can be almost as painful as kidney stones.

I've got a 43 Summoner (and indeed one of each character)...I'm liking the game so far. Much more worth my time than WoWcrack. Vorym is the name in game (some faggot stole Militis...). I play Trieste mostly, but I've got a level 12 on Abaddon too.