1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

By Any Other Name.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Antivash, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

As with various other pairings, we have yet another dedication thread for discussion, idea brain storming, and all around living up the forums with an attempt at bettering the fandom.

I expect, with the end of the series having been passed, the fandom has been slowing down and many of the imbecilic authors who plague the fandom with garbage will be moving on to the next fad.

So lets build upon the dying empire and rebuild it in our image.

Also, please feel free to use the threads existence and growth to mock the members who dislike the pairings of 'Near-OC" characters such as Daphne, Su, Milicent, or any other vaguely used character who has had near-to-no screen time in the books but has been mentioned by JKR.

And a note for those of you who do dislike the pairings... Feel free to state it, but keep it in context of the thread. Contribute to the discussion or expect to be tossed the fuck out.

Proceed.

2. Admonkeystrator

Admonkeystrator Seventh Year

I feel that the Luna/Harry pairing has probably the most potential - simply because Luna is Luna - she stands by harry no matter what, and despite her quirks, relates to Harry's angst more then any other character. imo.
    She offers independence, by way of the Quibbler and relative character obscurity, she offers stability of Harry's moods, She is an enabler and focus of Harry's "saving people thing", especially where it concerns "un-naturalness / freakishness" and bullying etc.

Additionally, they are a duo that not only is the perfect dynamic in the trio, once R/Hr are together, but also bring out both Ron and Hermione's bigoted personalities, but also they are a duo that is adaptable into almost any category fic, imaginable.

Then again, the Susan/Harry pairing isn't bad either, but fics with it, tend to lean toward dumbles bashing and independent!harry more then anything else.
    Come to think of it... what does DLP think about Hufflepuff!Harry?..i've never even seen one

3. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Alright... you know, I like reading a Harry/Luna as much as any other guy. If you can pull it off well, good for you. I'll read it, and most likely enjoy it.

There's only one problem. Luna's batshit insane. She's a crazy person. I don't mean crazy as a fox, either. Literally off her fucking rocker. And let's face it.

Nobody wants to date the crazy chick.

That being said, I do enjoy Harry/Luna. It's just... meh. Luna doesn't relate to anybody, much less Harry. The only thing she relates to are nargles, and even then it's iffy.

Personally, I've always wished there were more stories with Hannah Abbot. She's an almost completely blank slate, so you can do what you wish with her.

It also helps that my mental image of her is smoking hot.

EDIT: o_O Vash. Your ava is... entrancing.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  4. Admonkeystrator

Admonkeystrator Seventh Year

....i'd date the crazy chick
    ......and yes Vash's avatar is quite amazing.

Still the only evidence we see of Luna being totally off her rocker, is the Griffindor bigot points of view, and the Ravenclaw bullies. She strikes me more as a simple introvert... an image of an angst free harry - with a bat shit crazy dad.

5. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

One pairing I've always been curious about, but never seen--ever--is a Harry/Penelope Clearwater pairing. Sure, she dated Percy and that might make her a little boring, and we know she cares about learning so she might be bookish...but other than that, she's a blank slate as well.

Since she's older than Harry, she wouldn't always be around to interrupt the flow of the plot and/or action of the story. It also gives Harry eyes or ears elsewhere if you want to go that route. You can pretty much make up anything you'd like about a job, living accomodations, and anything else.

It's not something I'm interested enough to write, but it would be an interesting pairing to read. Or at least I think so. Depending on how the author handled it.

There's also a character like Eloise Midgen that could be used. She's mentioned as having an acne problem and Ron seems to think her facial features are off-center, but girls grow out of acne everyday...and Ron's an idiot. We don't know much about her, either, so you could go nearly any direction with her character. Another blank slate, really.

@ Samuel Black...crazy bitches are where it's at.

Edited to add content.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  6. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

A well-written (read: not posted at portkey) H/Hr can sometimes have potential. But most are awful.

H/Luna...I enjoy a good one. Like it's been said, though, I'd stay away from Luna because she's batshit crazy - functional schizophrenic, at best. Her things were stolen? Sounds like paranoia to me...

H/Daphne? Good, as long as the words "Ice Queen" aren't anywhere in the story.

H/Tracy? I really enjoyed Big D's portrayal and fleshing out of Tracy in his WWSHD, so yes.

H/Patiltwins? Yes. If both, even better. Probably not, actually, because that sounds too much like something a 14 year old boy would write while fapping. But there have been a couple of good H/Padma I've read recently that gives me hope for the pairing.

H/Fleur? Yes. She's the only canon-babe, so yes. As long as it doesn't get too freaky with the Veela-bonding or some shit. H/Gabby is the same. Only she's a tricksy loli, so maybe better.

H/Tonks? I grew kinda tired of it after lorddwar's Summer of Change, but as long as it isn't a rehash of that story - and so many of them seem to be - I'll read it.

H/Pansy? Probably my favorite right now. But she has to stay in character as a bitch; none of that Jeconais stuff where she's basically the same character as whichever girl he writes in all his stories. (Seriously, as much as I enjoyed them, in his various stories, Gabriele = Pansy = Ginny = Cho = Daphne = Hannah...you could have most of them say the same lines!)

I'm writing a H/Pansy right now - one of six new stories, unfortunately - and I'm really enjoying the pairing.

7. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Oh, yeah, since introverts normally wear radishes from their ears, and talk about creatures that don't exist. Really, the only point of view we have of her is Harry's. Even he thinks that she's a mite strange. You're thinking to much like JBern, man. Her craziness isn't a front for her to hide her true self behind.

She's just flat out crazy.

By the way, Contemplating Clouds is a damn good Harry/Luna. Read it, if you haven't already.

I've always wanted to read a good Harry/Penelope, but I've never ran across one.

8. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

I've always had a soft spot for Luna, shes just cool though hardly ever done right in fanfiction.

H/Hr only really works as a background romance, so Harry can have his girlfriend and still keep killing/training/sunbathing ect.

H/Other house girl, you get some diamonds but often the story's all run along the same path (evil!Harry/slytherin girl or studying!Harry/ravenclaw girl) otherwise they are Ginny/Hermione clones or Mary Sues.

H/Tonks, I like this pairing so long as Tonks doesn't discover Harry's secret metamorphus powers based on him growing his hair back before he went to Hogwarts so they can have many multicolored babies.

H/Fleur or Gabby, I`m always a bit iffy on this pairing, on one hand shes the cannon babe, but one is a bit old for her to really look at Harry at school without her being after his money/fame (because lets face it without it he doesn't really stand a chance without some major OCing going on), and the other is a lollie in till they are in there 20's. What they really need is a hot middle sister.

H/Ginny, like many I started out liking this pairing but got quickly jaded by the volume of crap written with it out there. I haven't reached rabid hatred yet but things that I let go in other pairings I don't tolerate with this one, it had to be GOOD before I even consider reading it, and preferably OC after OotP where she became so annoying.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  9. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Best. new. OC. idea. ever.

10. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

QFT.

I actually like most of the characters mentioned, so long as they are written well. None of them have any real personality described by JKR, so people are usually free to do what they will with the character.

H/Luna is cool.

11. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

This thread doesn't have enough Harry/Lily love. Sure you've gotta get massively AU for it to work, but so what? That's what fanfiction is all about.

QFT. It's sad how you could take any one of the characters that JKR "failed" to fully flesh out, and make them like any other character you wanted. Major MarySue ftl.

I'm looking forward to reading this. I'll keep my eyes pealed.

12. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Personally, I have no idea what all the fuss is about this pairing... The only reason you guys like it is 'cause it's incest.

I just find it creepy.

13. Torak

Torak Death Eater

Incest is the best put your sister to the test;)

14. FollowTheReaper

FollowTheReaper Professor

Okay, will do... Thankfully my sister is hawt... Mah Aunt though she's Fugly as hell...​

15. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Reaper cracks me up.

On topic: Harry/Narcissa is a pairing that needs more exploration. I think she has the most potential to be a canon babe. Slender, blonde, Black family (They're all attractive supposedly, except for the 'spare to the heir' Regulus and his mother). Plus she could potentially be as young or younger than the Marauders - say a year or two below. It doesn't say in canon what their ages are, but since this is fanon that doesn't matter, really. It would fit well with the Pureblood image to get their wives young n' fresh.

A member here had a good Harry/Angelina, but it's most likely abandoned. Can't really picture Harry with a black chick anyways. Patil twins are annoying because everyone wants that threesome to happen; I can only see someone like Harry pulling it off if copious amounts of alcohol are involved, not some permanent lurve triangle nonsense.

But for the most random pairing: I ship Harry/Millicent.

16. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Seventh Year

Harry/Perenelle Flamel, imagine the experience she has...

17. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

I'm pretty sure Narcissa is several years older then the Marauders, as is her husband.

18. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Uh, try 'no', as it says Lucius Malfoy was a 5th year prefect who welcomed Snape to the Slytherin side after his Sorting.

19. Torak

Torak Death Eater

A pairing that I love to see is Harry/Lisa Turpin. We know nothing about her expect she is a Ravenclaw

20. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch