1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

External Harddisk corrupted!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by BloodRedSword, Aug 16, 2008.

1. BloodRedSword

BloodRedSword High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Ok... I got this 250GB External Hardisk by Seagates which I had been using for 1 and 1/2 years.

I went for an oversea training trip for 3 weeks. I tried to use it today and this appeared:

There are a lot of important files which I had saved in it. Is there anyway to recover them if I reform the disk? If not what can I do to recover them? The disk is my backup should some shit go past my 2 Anti-virus, Bit-Defender 2007 and AVG...

Can someone recommand a free harddisk recover programme or some thing like that?

Thanks in advance!

2. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Backups. I hope you have one.

Can you recover your data? If there is a hardware problem, then no. If it's a file system problem, then maybe.

When the drive is plugged in, put your hand on the case. If you can feel vibration from the spinning disk, and you don't hear weird clicking noises, then the data MIGHT be recoverable. I've retrieved data from screwed up file systems by using the excellent Paragon Hard Disk Manager. I've found older versions repeatedly offerred for free on magazine cover disks. That's where I got mine.

Actually, I've used Paragon to retrieve data from a hard drive that was having growing physical failures as well. You might be able to find a demo online somewhere.

If you format the drive, then your data will be lost. A program such as Paragon might be able to recover some of it afterwards, but you'd only be making things more difficult for it.

As an aside: you really shouldn't run two antivirus programs at once. They tend to interfere with one another and end up being worse than just having one good antivirus program.

edit: Paragon HDD Manager can handle NTFS file system errors. All of my drives are NTFS.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  3. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Linux live disk + dd-rescue might be able to save the data. Maybe. If it's a hardware problem it can usually save a lot. If it's the filesystem, that depends on the NTFS recovery software out there.

4. BloodRedSword

BloodRedSword High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

The disk is spinning and there are no sound other then the whirling of the disk... Thanks for the advice... Will try it now..

5. fash

fash Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I Had a problem like this with one of my Externals on my old computer, I found out it was either my USB cable or the USB port on the computer. I would suggest trying a couple of different ports on your PC, better yet try it on a different PC.

If that doesn't work try a new USB cable, worked for me.

6. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter