1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Yes, Minister, by Taure - K - One Shot

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by deathinapinkboa, Aug 17, 2008.

1. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

Title: Yes, Minister
    Author: Taure
    Rating: K
    Genre: Suspense/Drama
    DLP Category: The Alternates
    Pairing: None
    Words: 1,242
    Published: June 13, 2008

Summary: A new Muggle Prime Minister has been elected, and it's time for him to meet the Minister for Magic. Only, things don't go quite as smoothly as normal...One shot
    Link ff.net: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4321429/1/Yes_Minister
    Link WbA: https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=9865

This is a brief, but immensely satisfying, read.

Edit by Minion, December 17, 2016
    Taure removed the story from ff.net. Instead I linked the WbA version.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2016
  2. D-Sloopo

D-Sloopo Second Year

I agree, if only tom went down this path instead of evil. Then he could have both Power and Respect without any little kids trying to bring him down. Plus he one ups the Magical Minister, just because he knows both Muggle, and Magical lifestyles. 5/5

3. excalibur421

excalibur421 First Year

Loved reading this when it was first posted in the WbA forum, still just as good as I remember it.

Would be nice to some more, maybe a prequel about the years leading to his rise to power? Or one showing why he chose this route instead?

In any case, great read. 5/5

4. Drajjen

Drajjen First Year

That was fairly awesome. I normally don't read stories that don't contain Harry in some manner, but since this was a one shot, I gave it a try. I don't regret it!

Only problem I had was Riddle's inner monologue about winning the general election. I am fairly positive that there is no such thing in Britton. As they have a full party system. Which means that the party that has the most seats elects the prime minster from their own ranks, i.e. the people don't actually elect the Prime Minster (they just vote for their favorite party members)

It's very odd system for Americans, I grant, however most of the world tends to use this system as opposed to ours.

5. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

In case anyone finds this familiar, it's been in Work By Author for a while. It just wasn't ever put up For Review (to the best of my knowledge).

A number of reviews, comments, and author explanations can be found there: http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=9865

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Good thing I'm not American then.

The Prime Minister isn't technically voted for at all: the monarch chooses the PM after the general election, asking a member of parliament to form a government for her.

The only thing the common people vote for are the members of parliament for their constituency.

However, convention is that the Queen asks the leader of the political party with the most MPs to be PM, and everyone understands this, so when voting for our MPs in our constituencies, more often than not we're looking at the parties that they are affiliated with rather than the MP themselves, thus in effect the system becomes one in which we are voting for parties and not MPs, and since the leaders of the parties are well known, thus voting for the PM.

7. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

Hmmm. Yes. If Riddle wasn't so hung up on being better than everybody and half ashamed and half hating his muggle half then he would have greatly helped the world in a way, or at least himself.

I like it 9/10. The oneshot was sort of dark in a good way. What's with all of the Riddle and not Harry centric stuff?

8. Cathal

Cathal Sir Nils' Right Hand

Now that was tasty. A little bit predictable and missing that elusive "something" but tasty nonetheless. 4/5

9. Drajjen

Drajjen First Year

Yea, I basically understand the way the system works (Politics 101 class), but I admit to still being a little confused at times. Truthfully, I didn't realize the Queen had much to do with it though, so thanks for clearing that up.

Regardless of how you wrote it (politics wise), it's still a great story, so no harm done either way.

10. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4/5 A very enjoyable little read.

11. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

Loved it. 4.5/5 (-.5 for being non-Harry centric and too damn short... I want moar...)

12. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I enjoyed it. It was the perfect ratio between buildup and payoff and written cleanly.

4/5 for me.

13. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

As my thoughts have already been said in several posts here, no point in repeating. So, I'll just rate.

4.5/5.

14. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    She doesn't, really. If she were to refuse to invite the winning party's leading MP into power then she would almost certainly be overruled and he/she would be empowered anyway.

It's just a silly custom we have kept over from when the Monarchy actually meant something.

As for the story, satisfying describes it perfectly, a very good read.

5/5.

15. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

Rin requires MOAR of this story. 5/5

16. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

I would have enjoyed a little pre to how Tom got into the position and decided not to go the way Voldemort did. It would however be missing a little sumsumtin with out the mystery that we all knew as to who the man was.

17. Alratan

Alratan First Year

A small mistake (or Freudian slip..), when Riddle says:
    he should say:
    or:

18. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Nope, no mistake. That was exactly as I intended it to be. Laws created by the Ministry of Magic needing the consent of the Prime Minister before they make it onto the books. Not the Queen, not Parliament. Just the PM.

19. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

I imagine it was quite similar to The Master's rise to the same seat, it certainly had the same vibe. Wouldn't be hard, with magic, but who am I kidding? Non-disfigured Riddle was supposed to be ridiculously charismatic, he probably could have done it (or did) the old fashion way too.

Curious about something though, was Fudge so depressed because "the muggle" had the upper hand from the start or was something else going on? Did he recognize (or did someone tell him) who the PM was?

5/5, damn good read.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  20. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Yeah, he was depressed because he had been outmaneuvered by what he thought was a Muggle.