1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Watcher by Mira Ceti - T

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by ip82, Feb 7, 2006.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: Watcher
    Author: Mira Ceti
    Rating: T
    Genre: General
    Pairings: None (probably fem!Blaise)
    Summary: Harry Potter who enters Hogwarts is not the boy everybody expected. Dursleys treatment made him learn his lessons too early. (does not follow the storyline of PS after the sorting)
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2209550/1/

This is one of the best Slytherin!Harry AU's I've ever seen. Now that the author had finally updated, there was no more excuses to postpone posting it here. So here it is...

In this story, Harry is neither vampire, nor super elemental mage, nor genius but... a voyeur.

Yes, that's right, he's a little creep who likes to watch other people unnoticed and analyze their behaviors and emotions. Oh, he is reasonably powerful and sly and all that, but him being a voyeur is probably the most orriginal aspect of this fic and one of the better AU ideas I've seen so far.

Aside from that, this is very good Slytherin!Harry story, with strong fem!Blaise/Harry interaction and not-so-friendly attitude towards other canon characters (Ron & Malfoy). Snape is somewhat redemed here, but there's no mushy friends crap (yet).

All in all, a truly excellent story, I'd say. It's only shame it's being updated so rarely.

2. Belgarion213

Belgarion213 Slug Club Member

It is one of the better Slytherin Harry stories I have read. One of the best aspects is the way he wrote Crabbe and Goyle. It was origanal(I have not seen it done before) and the way it was excuted made me believfe it. This is however coming from a six month old memory so it might not be as good as I thought.

3. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

It's been updated? About time. Will it be updated again though? Or will we have to wait a few months...

4. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

At the bottom it said 3 or 4 months till next update.

It is intresting, I will give it that... But it needs to update more regularly.

5. SmacksKiller

SmacksKiller First Year

Yeah, it's a shame that I always have to read it from the beginning when he finally update

6. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

This was one of my favorite Slytherin!Harry stories.

Then I kinda forgot about. Hope he updates sooner. I keep forgetting what has happened.

HIGHLY recommended.

7. Nymph

Nymph Second Year

I've never seen, or heard about, this story before. I liked it very much though. It's definitely a lot better than most of the other Slytherin Harry stories out there. It also has a big bonus of not having any of the more known cliches (exept the snake). It's a shame that the updates are so slow. This story has potential and I would hate to see it abandoned.

8. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

It's good..I like it...but the only set back is that the chapter are short.[/quote]

9. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Ah, I remember reading this story a while back. It seemed pretty good back then, but I think I just lost the link or maybe lost interest. Meh, I'll re-read it anways.

Edit - Read it again, and loved it. Refreshingly original.

10. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Not a bad idea, but the misspelled names are kinda starting to irk me. Hermione Ganger, Adrian Puckley, et cetera. I guess I'm just getting too nitpicky with my stories.

11. Aura

Aura Seventh Year

Do you mean a voyeur?

12. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Right.... edited.

13. KANE

KANE Groundskeeper

Not a bad story, one of the best slyth harrys ive found. Updates should be sooner...

14. Great story, best i have read in awhile, shame about the time taken to update, will still follow tho!

15. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Not bad at all. Pretty interesting really. The Voyeur!Harry really gives it a flair other stories don't have.

16. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

Really like this. Love Harry here. The way he observes and manipulates. I've not come across a manipulative!Harry before... I dont think. He operates much how I imagine Voldemort to. Just wish updates were more frequent....

17. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

This is decent, but not quite up to the library's current standards. It's 32k words, and it's been abandoned for over two years.

I was excited by IP's description of voyeur!Harry, but really this is just another Slytherin!Harry story. He's cunning, sly, and ambitious, but he unfortunately has no desire to stare at the older girls in the shower. What a shame.

Anyway, this is not really 32k words. It's more like 20k because of the massive A/Ns at the beginning and end of every chapter. It's decent, and it doesn't follow the PS plot, but nothing much happens. Harry becomes friends with fem!Blaise, acquires a snake, and learns how to manipulate Snape and others, but then the story ends. There's a plot against him, as Voldemort has managed to return earlier than fourth year, but we never learn what it is.

tl; dr: This one had potential, but it's abandoned and there are far superior Slytherin!Harry stories out there. 3/5

18. Lillith

Lillith Guest

It was an okay story, but I have read better. It is a rather plain writing style and the spelling mistakes are a bit annoying. I quit reading after chapter 10, not because it was that bad, but because it could not hold my attention any longer. Though that might say something about me, and not the story.

19. Padfoot85

Padfoot85 Sixth Year

So.....thanks to the necro, I checked this story out.

I have to say the premise definitely intrigued me. But, like most of the previous posts has stated, it left me wanting more. There was definite potential, but it seemed to me like the author wasn't really committed to the story. The authors notes, both pre and post chapter, were almost as long as the chapter itself. I get wanting to thank people, but she (no idea about the authors sex just taking a swing at it...the tone makes me think that it's female) took it way too far. I dunno if she was just tired after writing such lengthy A/n's or if she just wasn't prepared to write an actual novel.

She also made a point in saying that one of her chapters, which was really two scenes and pretty short was "one of the long ones and a shorter chapter would be up next." At that point I was almost begging her to combine her chapters to make it actually worth reading. For instance she didn't need the approaching Hogwarts and Sorting to be two chapters..it could have flowed very easily as one.

And then to find out that it was abandoned really left a sour taste in my mouth. She was barely committing as it was and just gave up? Weak.

And Ron and Draco sitting in the same compartment just because of Harry's 'superior arguing skills' kind of fell flat.

Bottom Line? I really wish this story would have been expanded upon or at the very least finished. The idea of an intelligent, observant Harry definitely has promise.

I also learned to read through DLP's posts of a fic before jumping right into it and clicking. Especially if it's in the RB.

First two chapters/premise 3.5/5
    Remaining chapters/abandonment 2/5

20. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

The cool thing about the story is how it does the monologue in the first part of the 'chapter'. That's why it has a relatively large review count, because it hasn't really been done that often.