1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

America

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by icarus, Aug 23, 2008.

1. icarus

icarus Muggle

Im new here and this is my first thread. ive read fanfiction for a couple of years now but what i cant seem to find much of at all is stories that America plays a part in. im not talking about a passing mention but where the US plays a part. Also, one of the first stories i read was about harry snapping while at his hearing during 5th year. i dont remember what exactly he did, but i know he wore a jester like costume. im pretty sured he killed draco and umbridge. thanks.

2. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    The sequel to Harry Potter and the Final Stray, Harry moves to America I believe.

Brave New World

Read the first one. It's pretty good.

First one is 35 chapters, 300,000 words. The second is 40, 865,000 words.

The one you are thinking about is somewhere in the library. Ron and Hermione run the Light Side or some shit. The author was super religious in his profile. I can't remember. I read it two years ago.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

???

I believe you're are confusing a few things.

There is an Intro-Forum if you want to make an Intro.

Then, why should there be many stories with Harry Potter in the US, when he is English? It wouldn't be really Harry Potter, if Harry Potter suddenly came from Nowhere, Idaho.

On the other hand, stories in which Harry snaps are a dime a dozen. Maybe you'd get better results if you included more details?

That said, if I remember right, there was Brave New World, that played in the US. Edit: Yes, that one Rostam linked.

And I never read it for exactly that reason.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  4. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

It's in the Trash Bin now, right where it belongs.

5. icarus

icarus Muggle

im not talking about stories where harry's born in the US, but like in Harry Potter and the Nightmares of Futures Past, where America sends soldiers over to help out against Voldemort. Or stories where harry runs away to America. Preferably stories where America isnt as corrupt as the British ministry is.

6. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

Why is America never as corrupt as Britain? That's something I never understood.

I can understand why Americans would be happier then the British but less corrupt?

7. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    America already has its own wizard called Harry - he answers to Dresden.

I have yet to see an example of a Potter story where 'America' doesn't equal 'fail'. It always seems like an excuse for lazy Americans who need a reason why Harry and co. don't sound the least bit English (lol, we like yur slang) or for American teenage girls to self insert. Even worse, it's a chance to pull the 'look how much better our magical society is compared to yours' - which in addition to always being poorly written, has the added bonus of offending foreign born readers and making the lot of us appear like we feel that the world would be better off if the U.S. was just the benevolent dictator of everyone (cause, you know, it's not like we're getting enough of this sentiment elsewhere...)

Also, on a more picky note, the Wizarding world of the Americas is unlikely to be anything of a super power. As wizards seem to be adverse to industry - both tradition and magic's interference - as well as the fact that there is nothing in Canon to claim that Britain is a backwater (quite the contrary, Albus' position on the international council and the global following of the statute of secrecy indicate it is at the very least among the pack, if not a leading member.) then the United States is most likely very sparsely populated magically speaking, and much more in line with its 'Britishness' than its muggle counterpart. That is of course assuming that Anglo wizards had the same level of sucess against Native American wizards as happened to muggles historically, or else the U.S.A. could be an absolute cesspit of warring factions, and more a confederation of rival, yet equally backward factions than a real state, let alone superpower.

In conlusion, American wizards saving Britain from corruption with their awesome powers of hindsight and super-special-freedom is terrible from any lens you care to craft your point of view, and if you really must indulge in reading tripe, might I recommend the 'just in' section of ff.net?

8. Immolo

Immolo High Inquisitor

The only realistic way the wizarding USA could be stronger than Britain is through numbers. We have 300 million muggles. The British have 60 million. If we have the same rate of muggle born wizard births, the US would have 5 times as many muggleborns.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  9. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

20 million? My, our V2s must have been more successful than previously imagined ...

10. Immolo

Immolo High Inquisitor

I was thinking Australia. I should have said 60 million.

11. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There are a couple of DrT's series that involve america, or americans coming over to Britain to fight.

And just a note about wizarding america, I like the way DrT writes it. He has it set up with several different factions. The most powerful are the Old Believers, which actually encompasses many different factions in and of themselves, who are followers of the ancient druidic traditions and they left for america before the muggles did, hiding great tracts of fertile and productive land as arid desert.

There are the purebloods, seemingly minor offshoot branches from the european purebloods, who like to think they're better than everyone else but really aren't. Then there are the Continental Families, who came over with the muggle settlers, founded their own settlements, either separate or as a part of muggle ones.

Then there are the native tribes.

In these series its a North American confederation, not America, or Canada or Mexico, they're all together under one government.

12. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Who's DrT and could you link some of his stories if they're for Harry Potter?

13. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Ditto, I'd appreciate a link as well.

14. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    http://forums.fictionalley.org/fics/search.php?quickjump=on&mode=Author&query=DrT

His Fiction Alley account which has all but a couple of his fics on it, though mostly broken up into smaller segments.

http://www.ficwad.com/author/12076

His ficwad account which has most of the fics on Fiction Alley, and the longer sets have been compiled together as individual sagas.

http://www.restrictedsection.org/author.php?name=DrT

His restricted section account, which has fics not on either of the other ones.

Those are his only accounts I think, if I remember correctly he doesn't have an ff.n one, or he rarely uses it or something like that.

15. Iztiak

It would explain why I haven't come across his stories before. I don't browse ficwad. It's usually even worse than FF.net.

Anyway, thanks for the links! :)

16. Sesc

He's on FictionAlley and on FicWad. But I thought he was all meh-ish smut-fics and/or Harmony ... he writes different things, too? Clarification, please.

Edit:
    Yes, yes, you beat me with the links ;)

17. icarus

icarus Muggle

I want to say thanks to those people that actually helped (Dark Lord Rostam and Mordecai). to the rest of you, i was not asking for your opinion on why America is a shithole. i realize America does have some problems, but who the hell are you to preach down on us Americans, if your country is so great, why are they not the worlds only superpower. all i had asked for was links to some stories, not you idiocy.

18. Sesc

I think I can't hear you.

But anyway, you do realise, that (apart from Mordecai, whom you graciously excluded) Belra, World and I were the only persons not from the USA here? You came off as not completely stupid -- right until now.

You're making no sense whatsoever. Especially since we were talking about DrT. Then again, no one ever said that you have to make sense all the time, right?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  19. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Lulz...

Looking back over the thread, I don't think anyone actually attacked America. The closes anyone came was me - and I was in no way insulting my home country - I was pointing out that the idea of a strong wizarding America is unlikely in the first place, and thus the idea lacks merit, and also pointed out that even if the concept might be plausible, it's generally written by people who only want to use it as a substitute to a meaningful plot.

But hey, feel free to suddenly come out guns blazing, pretty much insulting the status of the rest of the world for absolutley no reason. Between you and me, Tinn for one really really appreciates it if you let her know she'd be speaking German if it wasn't for your grandaddy - drop her a line.

20. Iztiak

Look, icarus, it's not that it's bashing America, it's closer to bashing the horrible stories that have Harry randomly go to America, where everything is perfect, and Britain is scum.

Actually going back over the thread, there are 17 posts. Two of those are yours. 7 aren't even really on topic...

...Whatever, screw that, I'm not going to waste that much time with this. In short, the ONLY post that could be conceivably be insulting to America is Vlad's, and that is just bashing the dumb story, as I said above.

Really, I don't appreciate unnecessary bashing of America either, but there isn't any on this thread. None. Look, you really need to learn how to take stuff less personally. Nobody insulted America, and nobody insulted you.