1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Wizard's First Rule T.V. series

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Danjam, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Danjam

Danjam Seventh Year

http://www.legendoftheseeker.com/

http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2008/07/25/legend-of-the-seeker-debuts-on-television-this-fall/

Goodkind's Sword of Truth series is being made into a weekly, 22 episode tv series set to air November first with a 2 hour pilot.

I've only just started the first book, so I'm not really sure how well this will adapt to a TV series, but the trailer looks... decent enough I guess. It's always hard to tell with them. But, I guess having 23 hours devoted to it, instead of a few 2-3 hour movies presents a few more options.

It's a little unclear on just how much of the series the one season plans to cover, though, As originally it was going to be called Wizard's First Rule.

I'm pretty sure I've seen this mentioned around here, but I didnt see any thread when I searched, or the trailer, so correct me if I missed it.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  2. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

Firstly... After the first book I couldn't take the grammatical errors of the series so I didn't finish it. I look forward to how they make the gars look though.

3. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Loved the books, was always feeling rather dubious on the idea of the TV series. I'll watch it, see how it turns out, but I am expecting it to be complete and utter crap.

With expectations that low, hopefully i'll get a decent surprise.

4. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The books were good, but I got sick of the constant moral dilemma stuff, and all of the anti-communist/fascist/fuck-up narrative you see later on. I'll maybe watch the series, though. Just to see how well it's adapted. Thanks for posting this, btw. I hadn't heard about it before.

5. Lecter

Lecter Seventh Year

I pictured Richard as less...wet-behind-the-ears, I guess.

6. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I can't say I'm too enthusiastic about this, sorry. In fact, I'll share that there are three books on my most out-of-the-way bookshelf that I'm embarrassed to say I own. One is Moon's "The Deed of Paksenarrion." Another is Salvatore's "The Dark Elf Trilogy." The third is Goodkind's "Wizard's First Rule."

Batshit-crazy gender politics FTL.

7. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

All I could think about was Orson Scott Card's homecoming series. MEN SUCK! WOMEN KNOW GOD BETTER! MEN MAKE WAR! SOCIETY RUN BY WOMEN IS SO MUCH BETTER!

If it wasn't a parallel of the Book of Mormon I never would have kept reading...

What're the gender politics like in this?

8. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

This looks... meh like a bad lord of the rings.

On another note, did anyone else see the first episode of that new TV series 'Lost in Austen'?
    Fangirls will spontaneously combust at there Darcy fantasies becoming a TV series.

9. Moeed

Moeed Third Year

My God the latest episode "Bloodline" just blew me away, beautifully done!
    Anybody else into this great show?

10. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I actually rather liked that o_O

11. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I forgot this thread was around. Right, comparing the T.V. series to the books: It sucks. Horribly.

What was the point of Terry Goodkind getting huffy about how he wanted a visual representation to be true to the books if he just goes ahead and lets this shit be created?

12. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

I'll have to give this a try when it comes out. Chances are this is will epically fail, but there's always hope that it's well made and popular . . . like Xena: Warrior Princess D:

In other news, I read somewhere that HBO is working on making A Song of Ice and Fire into a TV show.

13. Rhapsody Belle

Rhapsody Belle Sixth Year

I gave up reading the Sword of Truth books somewhere around Pillars of Creation because the proselytizing and lack of a plot with forward momentum was getting old. But I did enjoy them up until then, which leaves me more or less ambivalent towards the TV series.

I watched Legend of the Seeker for a few episodes, and still occasionally check out more, but it's not something I'm devoted to following weekly at all.

Bruce Spence nails Zeddicus Zul Zorander admirably, but neither Brigid Regan nor Craig Horner are comfortable with their roles as Kahlan and Richard, and it shows. Horner at least has grown into his role a little in more recent episodes, but I have little faith in Regan to ever truly wear Kahlan like she was meant to be worn.

They've made a lot of little changes to the backstory, which are just enough for anyone who's read the books to notice. They've marginalized the roles of half the minor characters, most notably George Cypher, and in doing so, have changed the fundamentals of the story in a way I'm not sure I like.

I do like Craig Parker as Darken Rahl though.

It's still a young series, being roughly halfway through its first season, and while it's visually appealing in its presentation, it still has a long way to go in order to really be a great show.

14. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

It's really a completely different beast to the books - lots of changes have been made that really fuck up the ending to the first book. I gave up seeing it as the TV version of Wizard's First Rule, and started seeing it as its' own thing, and that actually helps me watch.

The fact that they brought in a character from Pillars of Creation this early in the series, and the fact that Kahlan's story is that different (She only became Mother Confessor in a midseason episode, rather than being one the entire run of the books.) makes me wonder how they're going to treat the story.

I really expect it to cover the first two books, at most, with pieces stolen from the later ones.

It's not the same as the books, and the preaching seems to have been laid by the wayside in favor of swordplay. Good move? Maybe, maybe not, but I like the show more than I liked the books.

15. Same here, I don't really think they could do a good job with a tv show without screwing with the chronology, which they did, and severely fucked with the back story, as well as a hundred other little changes, but I like it.