1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Destroying the coins

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by JohnThePyro, Aug 27, 2008.

1. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

I was just reading through SmallFavor again, and came past this passage:

Now obviously this has been said in most of the Dresden books at one time or another, but it got me thinking. We know that the swords can be destroyed by committing an act of evil with them (or at least changing them from a sword of the cross to a normal sword). Could the coins be destroyed/changed to a normal coin if the Fallen was to change his/her ways and stop working for the destruction of God?

What do you think?

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

If we were to follow the word of the Bible, as soon as the Denarian repented his/her dark ways and let go of his/her anger towards God, He would forgive them. Thus, they wouldn’t be destroyed, but perhaps they would go back to being in God’s service as one of his Angels again.

3. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

If that was the case then, after God forgave them, he'd welcome them back into Heaven, correct? So, the coin would just be an ordinary coin.

4. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

It's really only man that gets instant forgiveness for repenting. Angels don't get that luxury.

At least, that's what they said in Constantine.

5. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

... Constantine as in the movie? -_-

6. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

John its not so much that swords lose their power. I think its that the loss of the wielder's power.

7. azrael

azrael Professor

From what I recall, if the sword is used for something other than justice, or for purely personal reasons like revenge, then it loses its power.

However, I do not believe the opposite applies to the Denarians. The coins are not instruments of evil, they are the medium for the Fallen to interact with humans. Using the power granted by the fallen for good would not affect the coin in any way.

As for one of the Fallen repenting, I do not think that can happen. Humans have free will and freedom to change their mind and repent, but angels have no such luxury. By defying God's will that one time, their choice is made, and they are confined to Hell. The Fallen being what they are, repentance is outside their nature and ability.

8. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

You can't destroy the coins.

And as Lash said, eon old beings don't really just change their ways.

9. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Word of God aka Jim Butcher has hinted at a way to destroy the coins.

Also using one of the swords in a selfish act like revenge takes away all divine protection on the sword, anyone can use it then. To destroy or unmake it however it must take the blood/life of an unwilling innocent.

10. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yet Dresden changed Lash enough for her to sacrifice herself for him? Granted, she was only a shadow, but still.

11. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Urge to break your legs rising.

As is obvious, Lash isn't Lasciel, thus is not 'Eons' old. In fact I'd hazzard a guess that she was four years old when she died.

12. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Speaking of Lash not being dead, I was re-reading Small Favor earlier and in Chapter Sixteen-ish where Dresdne falls asleep on Michael's couch. Right before he wakes up and tells everyone to trust Molly's judgement he's in a white room with someone whispering to him. As this happens his hand starts twitching and itching (the Soulfire one) which wakes him up. Methinks Lash and Soulfire 'residue' don't mix that well.

13. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well it took Jim long enough to introduce Lash, there could still be a remnant of the shadow lurking around somewhere. Would be amusing if it was retarded because of the damage done to it though :p. Having a mentally retarded Fallen Angel residing in your brain would be epic lulz. Imagine the fun she could have with her illusions XD.

14. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was under the impression that Lash was basically a powerless(compared) clone of Laciel into Dresdens mind.

So i guess its how you choose to really.

15. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

There is no reason to assume that Lash didn't have all Lasciel's memories, and so, in the psychological sense, she was as 'old' as the real thing.

Besides, why do you even argue that 'eons old beings can't change,' when it's clear that they can? They did fall, didn't they? If that isn't a change, then I don't know what is.

16. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    I thought the thing about Lash is that either

a) Because she was disconnected from Lasciel the shadow was not forced to be evil due like Lasciel was, i.e. no innate evil in Lash. Because of this she could be influenced by Dresden and thus become semi-good.

or

b) It was all a trick all along, she was trying to get close to Dresden, make him trust her and get him to eventually free her coin.

17. Aekiel

High Score:
    I believe the reasoning he used was that she was imprinted on his mind, which is innately malleable, so Lash was able to change just as much as Harry is. Since Lasciel is bound to a coin that cannot be destroyed by any so far discovered means I would assume she is pretty hard to change.

18. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Besides, Jim has stated that destroying the coin's would be a Bad Idea.

19. Aekiel

High Score:
    Heh, so destroying a coin would unleash the Fallen confined inside it? Awesome. Is it canon or fanon that they tried to dump one in a volcano and made it erupt?

20. Sol

Sol High Inquisitor

Fanon. Shezza.