1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Nineteen Eighty One, with a Twist by Codex Serpens - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Renzhoulawyers, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Renzhoulawyers

Renzhoulawyers Sent Back to India

Title: Nineteen Eighty One, with a Twist
    Author: Codex Serpens
    Rating: T
    Genre: General/Adventure
    DLP Category: The Alternates
    Pairing: H/Hr

Nineteen Eighty One, with a Twist is just another "what if" story. Begins with a glimpse of Harry's childhood before Hogwarts after a chance encounter, and what life circumstances have made of Hermione as well.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4441046/1/Nineteen_Eighty_One_with_a_Twist

[He tried to resist the tempting swishing his friend's furry tail made, which peeked from under her robes, but just like this morning when deciding to jump or not to jump on his exquisite wizard's bed, he succumbed to its call. Harry took a series of slower, shorter steps to fall slightly behind Hermione, and since they were the same height, took advantage of the next flight of stairs to make his move.
    "Harry!" she yelped and jumped on the air, pulling the tail from his right handed grip. She looked back and down at him, noticing undisguised mischief in those green eyes she had treasured for so many years, "Harry don't! Stay away from-- Ahhh!"] - Ch 8

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  2. excalibur421

excalibur421 First Year

3. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

It was a semi-interesting take on things and worth continuing to read. 3.8/5 from me.

4. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Started on this a while back, liked what I read for the most part. Stopped shortly after the arrival to Hogwarts, because of angst? Not sure.

Might have to give it another chance one of those days, doesn't look like I'll be getting much reading material this evening. Who knows?

5. Renzhoulawyers

Renzhoulawyers Sent Back to India

I actually found the pre-hogwarts bits quite boring and slow. It doesnt really pick up until about chapter 6 imo. The writing style is exceptionally good, if not a bit monotonous at times...

6. Illution

Illution Seventh Year

The writing was good. I understand the author is trying to build characters and connect them. However, he took way too long with the pre-hoggy days as there aren't too much interesting events. Sure there were a few defining moments but everything else were boring and pointless. describing harry being bullied a hundred times serves no purpose. Small subplots like the headteacher having an affair does nothing for the story at all. All in all, well written piece of work with a bit too much unneeded content. 4/5

7. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

3/5 from me.

The writing is decent, but far too wordy. As Illution said he simply spent too much time on unnecessary subplots. I found myself skimming far too much. Also not a fan of Nancy Drew Granger.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  8. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

I was sort of enjoying it until after the middle of the story when I just got tired of Harry not knowing things he should and no one helping him. The H/Hr thing that is eventually going to happen does sound interesting though.

9. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

This fic simply couldn't hold my interest. I agree that it is too boring and wordy, and considering this is merely PS with a few changes, the fic pretty much has 'Fail' stamped over it.

I've seen AU rewrites with more creativity than merely a piano-playing Harry whose character is not much different than in canon. Hermione dominates this fic far too much for my liking too.

This fic might have been good if the author cut out a lot of the irrelevant and uninteresting shit, and instead skimmed or skipped past a few years after the beginning few chapters to Harry's Fourth/Fifth Year at Hogwarts, where more interesting stuff occurs. As it stands, I have neither the patience nor the interest in waiting for the author to rewrite the entire series, which I doubt she will be able to.

2.5/5, rounded down to 2 stars.