1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Doorway to Dawn by Kensington - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Mindless, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

Title: The Doorway to Dawn
    Author: Ram Boy (Kensington)
    Rating: T
    Genre: Drama/Adventure
    DLP Category: The Alternates
    Pairing: Harry/Tonks
    Chapters: 4
    Words: 39,262
    Updated: August 28, 2008
    Published: July 29, 2008

Summary: Sirius Black fell through an unnaturally shaped redstone doorway during the Battle of the Ministry. Now it calls to Harry. A HP/WoT xover.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4434198/1/The_Doorway_to_Dawn

This is a good one. Kens' summary may be a bit... fail, but overall he's top-notch on writing and length, with already nearly 40k words in the bag. The premise is a tad cliche (Harry falls though the Veil, ends up in Randland) but the execution is a lot better than that makes it sound. Note that the story is set in the HP verse. Anyways, it actually interested me, unlike most everything else I've read today. 5/5

Checked by Minion, January 1, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2013
  2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Would I have to read the series to understand everything or does he explain the non-HP concepts?

3. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

The basics are explained as the story goes on. The use of the One Power, the basics behind what Harry and the other WoT character are all explained.

There are however references to people and events from WoT that aren't explained though. It's partly to keep the characterization intact - rationales to the ways the react to certain situations. I do highly recommend you read the series however. It's a beast of a completely different nature to Harry Potter and the Dresden Files.

Plus you should catch up before the last book is released next fall.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  4. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Story is great, the writing is definitely good, the only problems i see upcoming, and i have already mentioned this, but is with the power discrepancies, Randland vs HP can be very one sided depending on how it is written.

I honestly would of waited a while before putting it in the for review section, give it a bit of time to see where the fic goes, and how it goes there.

Right now, 5/5, I can see this either being an excellent fic, or it just loosing pace and dwindling away to shittiness.

5. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I like this fic alot - it's one of the best WoT x-overs. Having the main character as Rand is a huge plus - he's just that awesome. You have excellent writing style and characterization to me - but then again it's been years since I last touched WoT. Not enough Rand :(

Nevertheless, 5/5

6. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

WoT=Wheel of Time, da?

7. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

Yar.

fillerfillerfiller

8. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I didn't really like the beginning, but later it got much better.
    4.25/5 for now, will wait with voting until there is more chapters, though.

I wonder how will they approach DG, this could be major plot-hole in the story Imo.

9. PhantasmagoricBlade

PhantasmagoricBlade Backtraced

Saldaea, bitches! Got to love them Saldaean farmg
    Yes. 5/5. This is the only Harry Potter/Wheel of Time story I've encountered period, which makes it epic win. Then again, well, read sig.

But yeah, writing is great, a bit too much bashing in the story, and that summary is really bad, so erase the 5/5, and replace it with 4/5. Sorry Kensington! Write more chapters so I can heap another point on you!

10. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Phantas: I take it that's Mat in your avatar? ^_^

I'll give this a go when I finish WoT (on the 5th right now) but it sounds promising.

11. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Ah, shall avoid this like the plague then.

12. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Aww, it's another faggot who can't read big books.

/me hands Tenhauser a Dr. Seuss book

5/5 for sure.

/me goes back to planning his own HP/WoT crossover

13. dyslexicfaser

dyslexicfaser First Year

Very well-written. It's only as low as a 4 because Rand-Harry just didn't do it for me personally.

4/5

14. azrael

azrael Professor

I haven't finished WoT yet, but I don't mind, I still think this is an excellent fic. Even when it was unbeta'ed and in WBA, it still had excellent spelling, grammar, and characterization. The first chapter could have been better, but the rest so far has been excellent. 5/5.

15. Breed

Breed Third Year

This is, admittedly, the first I've heard of this Wheel of Time series. Is it any good? I'm always looking for some new books to read.

16. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

It is my favorite fantasy series.

The sheer scope of the world Jordan created is astounding. The rich history, complex cultures and enthralling plot makes for a great read.

That said, it is also quite the commitment. The series is currently at nearly 9700 words long, with the last installment due next fall. After book six the story decentralizes rapidly to include almost too many points of view. You need to memorize nearly a thousand fictional names to keep track of who is who. And you will need to read the glossary.

It still makes for one incredible read. Go forth and buy volumes 1-11.

17. The DarIm

The DarIm Groundskeeper

First of all, Kens I applaud you for pulling off a Wot crossover and not mangling Jordan's work. Even Harry/Rand and Egwene seem to be mostly in character, mostly I say because there are some places where the way they act seem off.
    Heck I once tried a WoT cross myself, it's still up on FF.net to remind me why small time idiots like myself shouldn't attempt to touch at Jordan's work.

But its pretty well done, 4/5, because I really don't like Egwene all that much.

Edit: And to all the people who are wondering....Wheel of Time really is a fantastic read, you won't regret it. I know I haven't and I've read all 11 books thrice.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  18. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

I was honestly surprised by how good this fic was. The only Hp/WOT crossover I've ever come across that's worth reading past the first chapter. 5/5 Thanks for the find.

19. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

This fic is off to a good start. Writing seems strong, characterization is consistent, etc. Easily the best HP/WoT crossover I've ever seen... well, next to Shezza's abandoned one's. Still, I'm looking forward to Rand/Harry encountering some actual challenges.

This series was excellent up until book 5 or 6. After that, I thought it was a pile of crap. It just spiraled completely out of control.

He could take ten pages describing in detail one irrelevant scene and the background filler overwhelmed the main story. Side plots with minor characters were given more precedence than the main plot and he'd go on for a couple hundred pages about one minor character and then that character would be ignored until two books later when there'd be another hundred pages on him, while I’ve forgotten who the guy was in the meantime and then when I figure it out I don't care.

He had thousand page novels where absolutely nothing happened and then the next novel happened concurrently with that one, talking about other characters that almost nothing was happening to, so the series didn't move forward at all.

Some people must like that, I suppose, but I found the later books to be the height of boredom. Maybe I just don't have the patience to wade through thousands of pages for minor payoffs.

Robert Jordan hooked me in the beginning, though, so I keep coming back for more because I want to see how it ends. You could see in the last book that he was trying to wrap it up a bit, since certain threads were almost arbitrarily finished up and lots of stuff with three books worth of buildup are virtually ignored. I'll get the last book to see how it ends. Hopefully Brandon Sanderson can finish it off well.

Also, every female main character in the books had almost the exact same personality and it was that of an annoying, insecure bitch. Why Rand would marry three when he could have married none and just had some fun with the maidens on the side is beyond me. Robert Jordan wrote women as poorly as any published writer I've ever read.

It seems even worse because the first five or so were so good and this could have been one of my favorite series ever. It drew me in with promises of high fantasy, and characters that may, someday, possess actual depth. Then it buried my hopes in thousands of pages worth of braid tugging and sniffing.

On the other hand, the main character, Rand, is one of the few main characters in fantasy that actually kicks ass. Big plus there. Too bad he's hardly ever on screen in the later books.

20. PhantasmagoricBlade

PhantasmagoricBlade Backtraced

Saldaea, bitches! Got to love them Saldaean farmg
    ...Must...not...murder...nonbeliever...urgh...Must...consider...points...gah!

Breed. Read the series, before I fucking(claps hands over mouth)- I'm having difficult time controlling my fanboy-ism. (Takes deep, steady breath). Okay. Read the books, even if you don't like them WHICH YOU WILL!!!!...They'll be a great experience despite what CosmosGravitation is saying (Don't listen to h-mmph!!!).

The series got a New York Times Bestseller Award on nearly every damn installment, and like mentioned before, there's always around 800-1000 pages per book. There's currently eleven books out.

Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, The Dragon Reborn, The Shadow Rising, The Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos, A Crown of Swords, The Path of Daggers, Winter's Heart, Crossroads of Twilight, and Knife of Dreams (In that order.)

The ninth and final installment, not written by Jordan(He died...I cried many manly tears of sorrow when I discovered this.), called a Memory of Light, will be released some time in 2009 by some Brandon Sanderson guy. This is because he left a shitload of notes behind so the series could be finished, even when he was dying of a rare blood disease. Now THATS what I call a dedicated author.

What Cosmos said...may PERHAPS IN A VERY SLIGHT MANNER be true. Now that I look back, there was a bit of repetition in the women's characters. But still. Read it.

Or I'll kILL J000000!@!#!%#!(Gets dragged away by asylum handlers after being tranqualized)

EDIT : Ha! Only three times? The number of times I've read the books (all fo which I own two copies of), is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAND!!!