1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Don't write another, please!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yarrgh!, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

Do you guys ever get the feeling that every inch of the universe created in your imagination will shatter painfully once the seventh book and the rest of the movies come out?

I mean, i love to think of Bellatrix as a pscho hottie, and Tonks as a fucking gorgeous girl, but when OotP comes out, it will all shatter.

I guess i just don't want the sense of finality that will come from reading the last book...it leaves som much open to imagination.

And, when we get down to the nitty-gritty, there is a plus and a minus to the seventh book coming out (possibly):

Plus: Hopefully, the book will conclusively prove to all dirty shash writers that Harry is NOT a shit-stabber. They might just stop with their oh-so-=erudite pieces of angst/fluff diarrhea. Positively disgusting, they are.

Minus: It will certainly encourage a whole slew of Harry/Ginny shippers to fill up FFNet and other such websites with their sappy bullshit stories featuring whipped!Harry and filthy!gross!slutty!stalker!Ginny.

Anyways, my point is (and i'm nit sure if this deserves a thread of its own or not), i just don't want my vision of the HP universe to be finalized. I don't want to see characters and locations portrayed in a way that as usual, sticks in one's memory.

I guess that whole freedom of characterizing people and places exactly how you want them will die down a bit.

2. Tobang

Tobang Fourth Year

I can honestly say that I read HBP, hated it, and I now totally ignore it. It’s actually a turn off for me if I see a story is post HBP. I also believe that a lot of serious authors/readers think the same thing.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that I believe that when book seven comes out it will clean up the forums from most of the 14 year old fan girls.

3. ghst.san

ghst.san Sixth Year

HBP was an actuall book??? I allways thought it was a badly written FF.
    Anyway since I didn't watch any of the movie and avoid pictures about it like the pest I dont have much problem with it.

4. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

Yes well, I and a fair number of others highly agree with that! It followed the exact same storyline for the hook up of H/Ginslut as most fanfic authors have written for fuck sake! "Felt like a raging beast rose up as Harry witnessed Ginny kissing Dean." :puke:...sorry for putting this in I just wanted to point it out.

5. Tinder

Tinder Seventh Year

I'm trying to write a post-HBP story at the moment actually (well, I have the first chapter and some mope ideas but I guess it's on hold really)... It's a challenge.
    It's kinda easy to just ignore it and go on writing post-OotP stories, even if that area is almost completely cliched out by now, but I dont think HBP, bad as it was, wiped out all potential for good fanfics.

I can see book 7 doing it though. When Harry finally destroys (note: doesn't 'kill' - thats evil) Voldemort with the 'power of love' and confesses his everlasting devotion to Ginny, a part of me will die.

On the other hand, all of Rowling will die when an enraged member of this forum takes her out in a frenzied attack with a kitchen implement at a book signing, so I guess life IS fair after all.

6. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

yeah, HBP felt like I was paying for a fanfic, which is illegal...

The answer is to not watch the films, they get everything wrong, i hated GoF sooo much. and in the others, for example, The Dursleys (petunia and dudley) are blonde. The twins are supposed to be stocky and Ron Lanky...

hmm so well casted.

I can forgive the twins since it must be so hard to find an identical pair of short, ginger people..

7. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    Maybe she will continue on after the seventh book. You never know, she just might. Look at Douglas Adams. He managed to pull off the world's only five book trilogy.

8. pimpostrous

pimpostrous First Year

Its not that HBP was extremely bad, its just FF's have gotten so much better. Without the FF's im sure every kid in the world would just love the story like a fat kid loves cake.
    but seriously, its not that hard to ignore. When i saw Fleur in the movie, i expected them to make her look amazingly hot (not like jessica simpson hot) looking at her, shes ok on some scenes but http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41150000/jpg/_41150455_fleur.jpg in that picture and many others, she just looks plain.
    but Yarrgh!, i dont think you'll have to worry about the picture being shattered, everytime i read a dark potter fic, i think more along the lines of anakin skywalker or w/e other image that pops into my mind, rarely do i actually see a daniel radcliffe when reading a FF, infact, i dont even see it while reading the original books.

9. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    Thats because Danny SUCKS at acting.

10. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

Anakin Skywalker...NO!!! Hayden Christiansen was a terrible actor!

That's exactly the problem...i can't find someone (an actor) who i think would fit the role well. Perhaps Orlando Bloom if he had a slightly less womanly voice.

But the point is that once the rest of the books come out, the playing field is set. Even if people write post-OotP stories or whatever, you can't help but think of how the books really ended, which will suck.

As things stand right now, i find it ridiculously easy to completely disregard HBP...it truly was the 9/11 of artistic excellence. I have hopes that the final book will be the same way..that i can entirely disregard it and continue reading fanfinction without the shittiness of canon banging around in my head.

Unfortunately, the movies will seal the deal, and definitely want to see them, which makes me all conflicted inside. Once the characters are portrayed in movies, i have a hard time getting over the fact that they utterly suck, and now Daniel Radcliffe is permanently imprinted in my mind, although after enough time, i can visualize someone else.

I guess, what i'm trying to say is that it sucks that they suck.[/i]

11. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

I refuse to think of HBP as an official book. It was aweful and so I'm going to completely ignore it. Heck I don't even read fanfics that say 'Post-HBP'.

Maybe we could get a bunch of authors to collectively, or singularly, to write book 7... Way things are going they can't do a worse job than JKR.

12. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

I dunno about that, man.

A couple of them get real good, but then they take a definite turn for the worse when Harry either continues going out with Ginny, or after she dies, goes with Herman.

But...Here I Come (i think) is the post-HBP story that Dark Syaoran is writing, and it is fantastic. Check that out, and there is no stalker in it either. It's good stuff, but unfortunately i can't think of any other ones at the moment.

But you are right...most post-HBP stories are shit.

I remember when the first post-HBP story, or one of the first ones, came out. It was so obvious that the author had blazed through the story with the expressed purpose of writing such a fic as fast as possible. I remmber it being terrible, and that it immediately grew in size...i think it went to about 110,000 words in maybe two months or less. Absoultely terrible stuff.

My opinion? HBP fucked things up big time for Harry. Not only did he get jerked around by Snape and Malfoy, getting his ass handed to him every single time, but he also got the shitty end of the stick.

At the end of the book, we know that Voldemort is practically immortal as well as being ridiculously powerful and knowledgeable. What does Harry get in that year? Stalker. Shittyand useless memories. The power of love.

WHY OH WHY DID JK HAVE TO DO THAT? THE HORCRUXES WERE A BAAAAAAAD IDEA. Why make Voldey so much more powerful and hard to beat? Just so that when Harry wins she can show just how powerful 'love' is? Dear god.

I think what she has missed is that many of the people who were in 5th/6th grade when the first Harry Potter book came out are now in college, like myself. After following the series for the past whatever, eight years or so (i honestly have no clue), i do NOT want to see it fizzle out as if she only wrote the first book for money and then struggled with ideas for the rest to make more of it.

13. MrMucus

MrMucus Groundskeeper

Did that scene in :hbp remind anyone of the creatues that burst out of a person's chest in the Alien Series?

Anyway i can see Harry in Book 7 shooting out highly concentrated pink beams of love at Voldy in their last fight :O_O:

However if Book 7 sucks as much as HBP at least it will make good toilet paper.

PS. Half the actors in the movies look nothing like they were pictured in the Books (Neville was supposed to be a bit chubby, but he is tall and skinny)

14. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

Well, he did look like a goober, so i geuss that's what the point was.

15. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Neville in the movies looks like the result of Draco and Harry's baby in Chuck's story, "A Nasty Birth."

16. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

Now that you mentioned it..... I totally skipped over those paragraphs in disgust. That was just so so bad.... :puke:

I get the feeling that book 7 will sux donkey nuts. It will also be bigger than the New York phone book. That said I will still give it a try....

17. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

Heh I can't imagine the Dursleys as anyone but the actors in the movies now. :( That said you reminding me of the blonde hair coloring makes me wonder if a new cliche could be created making the Dursleys related in some distant fashion to the Malfoys? I know we're supposed to be discovering something about Lily in the HBP and TFB so...?

Hah! The twins dye their hair; they're actually brunettes!

--bornagainpenguin

18. fatal

fatal Backtraced

I can't remember anything out of the 6th book, my brain has just deleted it. Without fanfiction i would have gone mad. I think JK Rowling leaves plotholes in her stories to allow tiny teenagers to overthink them and eventually go mad in the need for a conclusion therefore ensuring her next success.

19. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I read Half Baked Plot while I was on a plane back from Phoenix Arizona...

I am not sure what made me feel sick... The ridiculous turbulence or the ridiculously poor fangirl-esque writing.

20. chronic dragon

chronic dragon Seventh Year DLP Supporter

i dont really care either way. i mean when they made the first 4 movies i still picture snape and ron a different way when i read fanfics. doesn't matter what i see on screen because my imagination will over-rule my memories of something. i see snape as a taller person with a more hooked nose and greasier looking hair, ron as taller than he is in the movies, the twins shorter but wider shoulders and stuff, harry with his hair more wild than what was shown in the movie, hagrid looked just as i pictured as did dumbledore and mc gonnaggal(sp?). so no matter what they make them look like i will still picture them the way i originally did.