1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Linux distributions

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Jamven, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

I was looking at doing a Duel Boot between my XP and a Linux O/S. The only problem is that there are so many choice to choose from. So I was wondering what ones are really the stand out performers and what you would recommend someone using...

Knoppix ~ I like the screens that I have seen of this in work.

Ubuntu ~ Everyone seems to recommend this one for beginners...

Linux Mint ~ Not sure about this one. Someone mention this one in passing and I took a look at it. I like the screens that I have seen of this one as well.

Or are there other good ones out there?

2. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

You should try Gentoo from a Stage 1 tarball.

(Don't do that. Knoppix, Ubuntu, Fedora, SuSE are all pretty good choices for n00bs)

3. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

Kubuntu is about as easy as Ubuntu and it's purty.

Fedora is good for newbies too.

I'd stick to the 'buntus though. They have a damn easy command line structure.

4. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Linux Mint is Ubuntu based, so its a nice choice for beginners as well. You could also try Damn Small Linux, or OpenSuse.

Personally, I prefer Debian-based systems like Debian and Ubuntu

5. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

Debian has huge repositories. The 'buntus especially. That makes them super-easy for even COMPUTER newbs to use.

OpenSUSE has a fircken' HORRIBLE repository system... such a bitch to learn compared to Debian based stuff.

6. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Mandriva makes the world go 'round.

7. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Fedora. The Top Dog uses it and so should you.

8. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

I'd suggest any 'buntu-based system. Though Debian is what the 'buntus are based on, so it could be good too.

When I broke the shit out of my laptop (dunno how, but /boot wasn't /boot anymore...>.>), I downloaded KNOPPIX to fix it. It was more of an advanced-Linux user flavor than anything else.

I'm going to be trying Linux Mint here soon on my extra desktop (that just so happens to have been put through the ringer on as many flavors as I wanted it to). I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Also, Vash uses Linux Mint. (I think he told me so once in the Screenies thread. Can't be assed to get the link though.)

9. Jamven

Thanks for the recommendations. I have gone with Linux Mint for the time being. Though I do have one other question...

When I logged back into XP, my SATA Hard Drives are reading as SCSI. Honestly as long as it doesn't affect my systems performance. I can't be fucked to fix it.

Is there a way to fix it, if it does cause my performance to go down?

10. Jangel

Jangel Earl of Someshit

This is excellent for really old computers.

/sarcasm

11. carl

carl Seventh Year

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS :)

12. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Just make sure you read up on compiling programs from source (./configure, make, make install)...a lot of packages don't come in easily installable .deb's, and it took me forever to figure this stuff out with a lot of fruitless googling.

Also, try out Compiz. It's pretty neat.

13. Breed

Breed Third Year

SUSE or Fedora are probably the best for Linux Starters I reckon.

14. maidros

maidros Fourth Year

Really. it depends on what you want. Linux distros generally have a target audience in mind. Take a look at distrowatch and decide what you want based on your needs and your ability.
    Regards,
    Maidros

I don't know what exactly you needed to compile from source, but Debian has the largest number of packaages available in binary form, I think. And if you are complaining about having to compile from source in Debian, you should wait until you are on OpenSolaris, where you need to be even more compile-savvy just to use it.
    Regards,
    Maidros

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  15. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

SUSE sucks balls, plain and simple. And no, it's not for beginners. YaST is the worst package manager in the universe. People say it's just like Windows, but no: that's KDE. You can install KDE on almost ANY Linux flavor, if it didn't already come installed. Fedora is close to the edge of intermediate-user-dom, but easy enough I guess.

Any Debian (more computer literacy needed) or Ubuntu based (yes, I know Ubuntu is based on Debian BUT it has it's own little branches too) is the best for a new user. There is a GUI for anything that anyone new to Linux would need, plus the command line is easier to learn than most other flavors (sure, they're pretty much all the same, but installing things from command line is so easy, it makes Jesus cry in relief). Trust me, I know. I'm a convert.

16. mjc

mjc Seventh Year

Come on...the only 'real' distro is LFS. If you are too much of a wimp for that...Slackware.

17. Jamven

Thanks for the rec's all. Now I have another question

Within the next day or two, I'll be receiving a laptop that one of my teachers don't want anymore. He told me that it only had 64MB of ram in it, maxed out. At this time, it supposedly has as working Win 98 installed.

All that I am going to be using it for is to write assignments and rarely surf the internet.

Would I be better off keeping the installed 98 or going with a linux distro?

If I do go with a linux distro, what would you recommend running with only 64MB ram?

18. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Damn small linux (DSL) is probably one of the best for such an old machine.

EDIT: And Win98 is fine for writing assignments. Internet probably won't be great though (not sure though as it's been a while since I've used Win98). :/

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  19. maidros

maidros Fourth Year

I am not sure he will be able to use any recent desktop environment with that set of specs. KDE, GNOME, and even XFCE might be a little too much for his machine. Add to that the problem that firefox, and OpenOffice have a fairly large memory footprint, that is going to be another problem.

He might be stuck with IceWM with abiword and dillo for the GUI, text editor and net surfing respectively.

Regards,
    Maidros

20. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Lawl, I don't know why you're all pushing Damn Small Linux, it doesn't need to be damn small. All it has to do is use a small memory footprint. Any distro will do that...sans desktop. IceWM or XFCE would probably work.

Also, if you're new to Linux, avoid RPM like the plague. It fucking sucks. I've been running Debian and RPM-based distros for years and I hate RPM. Anyone who likes RPM distros can die in a fire.