1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Sins of a Solar empire

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Erotic Adventures of S, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Anyone got it?

I've heard nothing but good things about it and three of my local games stores are sold out of it.

Apparently its one of the only true stategy games to come out in the last few years, very well designed races with good strengths and weakness.

Apparently each level can take upwards of 7 hours to do becuase you really do need to have a strategy and build a base and fleet and plan an attack. Its almost impossible to Zerg this game which is a big reason why I find Warcraft III so boring.

Looking foward to getting it but the soonest I can get it is like 2 weeks.

2. MellowYellow

MellowYellow Fourth Year DLP Supporter

I agree on this part, most strategy games released in the last few years have sucked balls (cant wait for starcraft 2), except for this one. If you can stand some levels taking over 5 hours to beat than you should get it.

3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This sounds like just the type of game I would enjoy. Considering how often I play general strategy games like Risk and Diplomacy, where having a strategy is a must, and how I like taking my time over these things... Yeah, sounds about right for me. I'll order it through Amazon, and review once I've played it a bit.

4. The Duke

The Duke Seventh Year

If your looking at it for single player experiance then don't get it simply doesn't have a campaign, only a few stand alone huge maps against enemies that suck ass.
    But if your into serious fast-paced multiplayer then its for you.

5. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So what's the verdict on this? Good? Bad? I'm kind of undecided at the minute cause I can't find a strategy that works on the smaller maps, though I haven't tried multiplayer yet. I want to memorise what units do better against what before I try attempt it >_>.

6. Nocdia

Nocdia Sixth Year

I have the game, its great as far as space strategy goes. The amount of content is great with different factions with multiple tech trees and units
    levels can be huge and micro managing 20 or so planets with multiple fleets engaged with other factions is common place. Downsides? well there's not much of a story, or a even a story mode, hell even Supreme commander had a story mode. Games can be long, very long a single game on a large map can last days. Sometimes there are moments where all your doing is waiting for resources, this only really occurs at the start when your trying to fund your expansion into nearby planets. The multiplayer is probably great, haven't tried it yet but it had great potential.

All in all its probably worth getting if your looking for a space strategy game. As far as normal strategy games i would hit up Supreme Commander. It had an interesting story mode as well as fantastic multiplayer. Which you'll play doing a lot as the computer AI has 2 settings. Bush retarded and devestatingly amazing.

7. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

I played it for a month a while ago...

The three races are pretty welll balanced (but too much alike in terms of playstyle) and the battles can get epic and very cinemactic. Modding holds even more potential for this game (though when I played it, the mods out were fledgling).

But the game (vanilla) is very, very, slow. An online match, even one where your opponent is clearly more skilled than you, can drag on. Even on the fastest resource gathering/build time settings, the game is just too slow. There's very little macro or micro to be had, too. It's mostly about taking over planets, opening resource plants in their atmosphere, and figuring out how to defend them all while keeping your income high (there are upkeep costs that don't go away even when your entire fleet is destroyed).

You can have 9 capital ships (which level up and gain skills), and hundreds (or thousands, depending on your computer and the settings/mods you have) of ships, approx. 50~ ships per captial. Carrier ships that launch fighters and seige ships, frigates, etc.

What micro is there is learning how to retreat (when your capital ship's shields go down, you need to know when they're in danger of going down), where you manage your fleets (in this game, you CAN break up your army into smaller cluters to defend homeplanets, since the time to warp between areas is long and it's risky to send an entire fleet into battle).

It's really an interesting, tactical (not really strategic) game. I wonder where the mods have gone with it by now? I reccomend it, though be prepared to be disappointed (It may not be your cup of tea, considering the slow speed and unvariety this game presents).

You can torrent the game mostly free of conscience, as you'll need a serial key to play online. Test out the game against a computer for a few days and then decide if you want to buy it (this is what I did). Of course, I ran out of space and had to uninstall it (even though it's only like a 1.5 gig game)... I should go find the CD, heh.