1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Path of Decision by lulu42 - T - HP/Sandman

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Vorpal, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Vorpal

Vorpal Third Year

Title: Path of Decision
    Author: lulu42
    Rating: T
    Genre: General
    DLP Category: Alternate Universe
    Pairing: None
    Chapters: 60
    Words: 244,659
    Updated: December 7, 2009
    Published: July 31, 2008

Summary: Cunning, resourceful, powerful and ambitious, Harry has little trouble finding success. But not even that can prevent the pages of Destiny from turning. Sandman Crossover.
    Link: ff.net

Some things in the beginning were a bit of a turn-off for me, the whole assassins microplot in particular; nevertheless, I've grown to like this fic. My only real complaint is that I wish that the story was fleshed out a bit more--the author seems to plan the overall plot fairly meticulously, but the chapters are a bit short (although written at a respectable speed), making the steps from A to B to C still seem a bit rushed.

Checked by Minion, January 6, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2013
  2. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

I've finished the most recently posted chapter, and it's pretty good. I agree that the assassins vignettes make the story a bit disjointed. But is that really a bad thing?

If I voted now, I'd say 4 stars; however, I'm not voting until I see what happens in the fourth year.

3. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

Hmm, just finished reading it. Its good but I have to see how far it'll deviate from canon.4/5 for the now.

4. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

What's Sandman, and do I need to know it to read the story?

5. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

I don't know shit about Sandman, but I was able to follow the story quite easily.
    This is actually one of my favourite stories at the moment, with its update speed and intelligent writing style. I also liked how the author handled CoS.

The story still has a few rough patches, and a few things probably won't go too well down here. But when all is said and done, I'd give this a 4/5.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  6. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

Google and Wikipedia are your friends. You may not need to know it for the story; however, it might be helpful.

Apropos of nothing...
    I've been wondering if Harry is going to succeed Dream-- based on what's been mentioned in the story as well as what's been covered in Sandman.

7. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

I love it. I'm all a twitter for the next chapter. I don't know shit about Sandman, but this story is great. Read it.

5/5

8. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

For now I'm giving this a four star rating.

The author does a magnificent job so far of Harry's interactions with the students. It flows naturally and makes for an enjoyable read. I am disapointed at the minor role the Endless have in the latest chapters. Hopefully it is only due to the memory charm placed on Harry.

I did note several grammatical errors in the beginning of the story that also weighs down upon the score.

If the author maintains the quality, this is a shoe-in for a four star rating. If he/she manages to ratch it up a notch, then I'll modify this up to a five star.

9. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Bah. For a supposed assassin!Harry who's killed hundreds, he's a pussy. It got pretty boring fast. The Endless were intresting since I had no prior knowledge of Sandman, but otherwise it was quite bland.

3/5, and that's stretching it.

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This always happens with assassin!Harry. I don't think I've ever seen an assassin!Harry fic that actually has Harry behave like an assassin.

11. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

This.

But other than that minor point, the story is very good so far.

I haven't read Sandman (didn't even bother with a quick Wiki), but I had no problem understanding what's going on, and I'm intrigued enough that I might check it out.

I thought the part where

Harry orchestrated Quirrel's death was awesome. Even if he doesn't act like an assassin, he clearly has no compunctions about removing people who are a threat to him and his friends. Hell, he even contemplated killing Ginny when he discerned her role in the short-lived Chamber incident. Personally, I think he should have killed her, but I'm not too disappointed that he didn't.

This story has a lot of potential, and I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for updates.

4.5/5

12. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

That does raise a good point. I guess we just need a real assassin to write a HP fanfic.

Any takers?

13. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

New chapter posted.

I'm liking this story more and more. I like how the author dealt with Year 3, and if she does well with Year 4, then I'm voting 4 stars for sure-- maybe 5.

14. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Sweet. Finally we are getting to the interesting parts (GoF).

It seemed like she blew through the first few years a little bit too quickly though, and her chapters are a little bit too short for my liking, but overall it's a great fic.

still 4.5/5

15. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Yeah, short chapters like DitN said, but that's not too big a deal. The story is really vague in spots, but it's interesting as hell. I'll keep reading as long as she keeps writing it.

16. Illution

Illution Seventh Year

I love the idea of the creation of dementors. This story would be great if the assassin sub plot never happened as it wasn't too relevant to current event. The fic overall is enjoyable to read, and deserves and solid 4/5 and more. I'd rate 5/5 without the assassin's subplot/flashbacks.

17. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

I really like this. I am yet another person unfamiliar with the Sandman 'verse but able to mostly follow tidbits, though any extra little hints I may be unaware of. Though Harry is an assassin, it isn't really his choice to do so, as shown with his uneasiness about killing the young boy who looked sort of like him. Harry is able to 'kill' Tom with Fluffy because the sort of goings on his side weren't at all innocent.

SOmewhere I must have gotten sidetracked.

5/5 with interest for me so far. I look forward to more.

18. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

2/5
    Story is rushed and confusing, Harry is a stupid pussy who is supposed to be "assassin", but from all his recollections he just killed men tied to chairs.

19. Lincos

Lincos Professor DLP Supporter

So we have a MagicallyIncompetent!Harry story? And a NonKilling!Assassin to go with it? Awesome, just what you want out of a story.

20. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Alright, after trying to pick up where I left off reading this story, I've got to say that it feels more and more vague, rather like a collection of scenes instead of a story, the further it goes.

I know nothing of the Sandman-verse, and I like that I didn't really need to know too much about that to like the story, but the more vague it gets, and the less coherent it guess, the smaller my interest gets. Anyone else feeling that way?

Meh, maybe the author will put some cohesive scenes together soon.