1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pain and Magic by Violet - One Shot - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by knothead, Sep 18, 2008.

1. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

Title: Pain and Magic
    Author: Violet
    Rating: M ? (site rating is Over 13 Years) --> T
    Genre: Crossover (House)
    DLP Category: Alternates
    Pairing: None
    Summary: House's latest patient has some interesting symptoms. One being that he thinks he's a wizard.

I was bored and looked to see if there were any decent House/Harry Potter crossovers, and I found "Pain and Magic," which is a good story. It's a 3-year-old short one shot.

The one thing that will upset some people is that Harry Potter is not a character. In fact, he's not even mentioned, but I think the story is good enough to be mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2008
  2. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

It was an okay one-shot. There wasn't anything that really stood out besides the fact that its a crossover with House. I think that some of the characterization was off, but I don't really know the series well enough to say for sure. Rating: 3.5/5

3. azrael

azrael Professor

It was decent. I'm a House fan,so I enjoyed it, but the fact that it was Snape and the fact that it lacked the usual House drama means it gets less than it could have. 3/5

4. peregrine1989

peregrine1989 Third Year

It was surprisingly good for a one shot of that shorter length. Most that short feel rushed, or not finished, but that one wasn't bad at all. The spelling and grammar were also good, but its harder to make mistakes in one shots and easier to spot them if you do so that isn't really all that special.

The only thing I have to complain about in that story is House. I always saw Snape as the kind of person who payed his debts, no matter long it would take and how difficult it would be. I would never see House believe in Magic however unless he was levitated. And while I don't mind most characters acting OOC House is one of the few I am really picky about.

3.5/5: Half for the House OOC, and 1 just don't think it was good enough for a 4.5

5. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I'm a fan of House so I gave this a shot. Unfortunately, House is probably one the most difficult characters around to accurately mimic. Consequently, every House fic I've read has had House being massively OOC. This one is one of the better ones, but he's still OOC - House believing in magic without unconditional proof? Not happening.

This one-shot really on has the crossover part going for it. It lacks any real depth. So, I'll give it:

3/5

6. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

And now I'm not going to read it.

House is the ultimate skeptic. And he's unchanging. The fact that he's content in his miserableness is half his fucking character.

7. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

Thought the title was Palin and Magic - I was going to shit a brick. I guess this goes down under "signs you're involved in this election too much"....

8. Lorelei of the Sea

Lorelei of the Sea Unspeakable

I did it too. I guess it doesn't say much for her that the first thing that went through my head was "Should have expected her to go Salem on us by election day."

9. Maximus Higgins

Maximus Higgins Squib

House only believed in magic after it healed him but I do agree, House wouldn't believe Snape's story. In fact if he was as pissed off as he was in that new episode that was on Tuesday, he probably wouldn't have given it a second thought. Although crazy people do interest him, I will admit that. Overall, I say it could have been longer, but an alright fic. Personally, I would have written it so Snape was carted off to the nuthouse, or given a treatment that killed him. 3/5

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  10. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

You're not the only one.

The story isn't bad, it's just ... not very good. 3/5 and Trash Bin is appropriate.

11. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Not bad, not good, it just exists. 3/5