1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Brisingr

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Knox, Sep 25, 2008.

?

What is your take on Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr?

Poll closed Oct 25, 2008.
  1. Got it, Like it.

28 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. Got it, Hate it.

12 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. I will never read this filth!

15 vote(s)
    23.4%
  4. Eragon? Whats that?

9 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. Knox

Knox The Last Remnant DLP Supporter

At the crossroad where the demon lies. Waiting to
    Paolini's Brisingr of the Inheritance series came out recently. What are your thoughts on the series and book? For those that have read it, What was the biggest shocker, Use spoiler tags if you are going to explain it in detail. What do you think of Paolini's making it four books instead of three?

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I thought he was making two trilogies? Three books of Eragon and his quest, and three prequel books on how Galbatorix became a rider and his subsequent fall into darkness.

;)

3. Knox

I have heard no such rumors. Sounds retarded though. I could maybe see one book, but to make it a trilogy would be retarded. I would much rather see Brom's or Oromis's history.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  4. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

... you're an idiot, Knox. Especially if you haven't realized what Paolini is plagiarizing from.

5. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Wow he's not even trying to hide the Star Wars theme any more is he?

6. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Reading it at the moment. I haven't gotten much farther than Eragon returning from Helgrind, but so far I like it a lot. My guilty pleasure, I guess, since many rip the series to shreds (and not without any reasons) ... but I enjoy it and Arya is one of my favourite characters to boot.

Yeah, I have my moments.

Shocking ... so far, nothing really, but it's nice to see characters making some points I had used myself before. Talk about staying IC, while expanding on a character.

7. Knox

I got it Sree. Thought you where being serious, What with Paolini being a whore and making it four books instead of three. And just so you know Star war ripped off something, That something most Ripped off something else, ETC. -_- It's how this shit works.

8. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

Yeah but most of the time they don't rip off the ENTIRE story. Usually only a few points.

9. Knox

There is ass-loads of stuff not in Star wars that is in this. Poytin, Have you read the series or are you just taking stuff from what others said, Oh shi-.

10. Wisdom's Mountain

Wisdom's Mountain Sixth Year

I hated Eldest and stopped. Arya was such a mary-sue, I thought the author was in love with her. So my option isnt in the poll: Didn't get it and hate it.

11. Nefar

Nefar Seventh Year

I'm not planning on reading it, having been disgusted by the sheer gall of Paolini as he ripped off both Lucas and Tolkien literally wholesale. Really, more amazing than his plagiarism is the fact that he apparently has gotten away with it so far.

To those who have read it/are, how closely does it follow the plot of Return of the Jedi?

12. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

I realize that most modern things are ripped off of something else, and so Star Wars is. But Lucas took many ideas from many different sources and made it his own, you can't call that plagiarism.

But the books are so much like Star Wars, it's ridiculous. Star Wars is a culture in itself these days. These books are just Star Wars but fantasy themed. Let's see how much Eragon resembles Star Wars, shall we?

1) The Dragon Riders. Not only exceedingly skilled warriors, they were also scholars, philosophers, diplomats, etc. They brought and upheld peace throughout the land. Every one of them was magical. They all had a special sword wrought specifically for them in the color of their Dragon. This blade never dulled or broke.

Similar to the Jedi Order. All that needs to be said. >_>

2) Galbatorix. An extremely gifted and talented Dragon Rider, said to be one of the best. After his dragon was murdered and the subsequent refusal by the Council for another dragon, his already weak and warped mind views all of the Dragon Riders as enemies. He convinces one of the Riders to follow him (Morzan) and along with him, he destroys the entire Order, save for two (I think), Brom and the Elf in Ellesmera. Morzan becomes the father of Eragon, who later becomes the first new Dragon Rider.

In this case, it's slightly skewed. Galbatorix is both Palpatine and Vader, in that he's the supreme ruler and makes one of the Riders betray the Order, but he is also the one who betrayed the Riders in the first place and whose mind is warped to think that all the Riders are against him. Morzan is slightly Vader as well, in that is Galbatorix's right hand man, the most powerful of the 13, and the father of Eragon, the first Dragon Rider.

3) Eragon. A simple farm boy whose life is changed the moment he brings Saphira's egg onto his farm. His parents are unknown to him, and he was raised by his Uncle and late Aunt. Because Saphira's egg was known to be in Carvahall, Galbatorix sends his Ra'zac to get the egg. They burn down the farm and kill his Uncle in their search, only missing Eragon because he wasn't there at the time. Afterwards, Eragon has to run away, and the old crazy man Brom comes with him in order to protect him. Brom is suprisingly knowledgeable for a village man, knowing all about Dragons and the old Dragon Riders.

Luke Skywalker. Simple moisture farmer whose life is fucked up he recieves the R2 with Leia's message on it. The Stormtroopers burn down his house and kill his uncle and aunt. He escapes with the help of an old crazy hermit man named Ben Kenobi who knows all about the Jedi Order and used to be one himself.

4) Brom. Completely and totally Obi-Wan. Once a Dragon Rider? Check. No longer? Check. In Carvahall because he needs to look over Morzan's son? Check. Teaches Eragon how to be a Dragon Rider? Check. Dies near the end of the first book? Check.

Obi-Wan. Used to a revered Jedi Master. On Tattooine to protect Luke. Teaches Luke to be Jedi. Dies.

Meh, I'm too lazy to go into detail about the rest of the similarities.

Varden = Rebel Alliance

Eragon killing Durza = Luke blowing up the Death Star

Eragon finding out that Morzan was his father and Murtagh was his brother at the end of Eldest = Luke finding out Vader was his father.

Eragon has to topple the Empire = Luke has to topple the Galactic Empire

Eragon meeting with Oromis, who is another old Rider, but one who is crippled and cannot fight the Empire himself. He starts off where Brom left off when he died, teaching Eragon to be a Rider. The training is cut off when Eragon realizes he is needed elsewhere. Eragon promises to return (I wouldn't be surprised if Oromis finally dies when Eragon sees him again) = Luke meeting Yoda, a former Jedi Master who is too weak to do anything about the Empire himself. He teaches him to be a Jedi, but the training is cut short when Luke realizes that the Rebel Alliance needs him. He promises to return when his mission is over.

... I'm writing too much. ~_~

13. Nefar

Nefar Seventh Year

Exactly. There's a plot summary floating around the internet somewhere comparing Star Wars and Inheritance. I'll see if I can find it.

Hopefully Paolini has learned something since Eldest. I read that Obi-wan is actually Luke's father instead of Darth Vader.

14. Knox

..... You need a life Sree >_>

Without giving spoilers away I lol at like half of the stuff you said. Not going to say what stuff but what we knew in the second book is almost thrown out the window when the 'Real' Answers appear. And it wasn't one Dragon rider her recruited it was like thirteen.

Edit: Nefar its the same as the Harry potter one...... Hmmmm Harry Potter..... /me looks at all the stuff Sree listed then at Harry Potter. -_-

15. Lightning_Fury

Lightning_Fury Sent Back to India

Overall I love this series even if it is copied off of others. Fuck this is much more entertaining I think then star wars.

Edit:::

How can you compare luke blowing up the death star to Eragon killing Durza. I mean they are 2 totally different things besides the fact they were important to both universes.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2008
  16. Knox

Lots of explosions, And the giant rose thing blew up, Thats the best I can think of to compare them.

17. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

You can't exactly have a Death Star in the setting of Eragon. The best he could do was Durza, a seemingly invincible and unbeatable opponent who was killed by Eragon. Basically, it marked the beginning of Eragon's true rise as a Dragon Rider, as blowing up the Death Star marked the true rise of Luke being a Jedi. Both did two seemingly impossible things, and they both made their beginning steps in history at that point. Before that, what? Eragon was just a kid who had a dragon. No one knew how strong he was, no one was in awe of him. Only afterwards was he given recognition. Same with Luke.

I've only read half of Brisingr at this point, so if what Lightning Fury says is true, I'm so going to ban him because he didn't use a spoiler tag. -_-

18. Lightning_Fury

Lightning_Fury Sent Back to India

I know not how to use a spoiler tag Jolly Rancher, I am deeply sorry for this. Seriously I am, can someone perhaps teach me how?

19. Nefar

Nefar Seventh Year

I found that summary. Much lulz at those who say the first two books aren't a straight lift.

A boy of foggy origins lives with his uncle in a remote place of a vast empire headed by an evil Emperor and his right hand man, who was once prominent in an ancient order of guardians with mystical powers.

Through fate or luck, depending on your point of view, this boy comes into the possession of an object vital to a rebellion against the Empire; this object was inadvertently sent to him by a princess in the rebellion, who had attempted to send said object to an old man who once belonged to the same order of guardians as the Emperor’s right-hand man.

This boy seeks the old man to learn of the ways of this ancient order, but eventually has to return to his uncle’s farm, which, the boy finds, has been destroyed by fire, and his uncle killed. The boy then sets off with the old hermit, who also gives him a sword which belonged to his father. As they travel, they train. The boy meets up with a rogue who is full of surprises, but turns out to be fiercely loyal, for all his proclaimed selfishness. The boy also begins "seeing" a beautiful woman imprisoned and in need of help.

The boy decides that he needs to rescue her, even though he doesn't know her; further, he thinks of her only as beautiful (Luke's first words are, "Who is she? She's beautiful?" Eragon can't stop thinking about her beauty). Long story short, the old hermit dies to protect the boy, the boy and the rogue help the beautiful damsel escape.

They then set off to the rebellion to give important information and return the object which the princess had sent the boy. They were followed by the Empire, and prepare for a giant battle that will either save the rebellion or annihilate them.

The boy proves his worth with heroics during the battle, but his crowning achievement is his destruction of a noun of much power that has the ability to destroy lots of things. The boy is aided in this by one of his friends, who arrives at precisely the right moment.
    The boy is lauded a hero.

The boy has a hallucination of a powerful master who can teach him more of the ancient order. The boy travels to the powerful master to learn the ways of the ancient order's mystical power. While there, he grows very powerful. While he is away, the Rebellion regroups in a new area.

Just when the boy is on a roll with his training, and has grown very powerful, he has a vision of his friends in great danger. He decides he must go to help them. His master warns him not to go. The boy promises that he will return. He leaves.

He finds his friends just in time and is able to distract the enemy so that his friends will remain safe. He finds out that his father was the right-hand man of the Emperor--his father was the one who betrayed the ancient order and helped kill them.

The boy is shocked and ultimately defeated, but not killed. He finds out that someone dear to him has been taken by evil people, and promises to find this person.

Also, two seconds of searching the Support forum told me spoilers are [spoiler.][/.spoiler] without the periods.

20. Knox

Nefar you whore, Almost none of that applies past book two. So it is pointless, I admit yes Paolini is a plagiarizing cock bite in books 1-2 but he has broken that habit. And since Sree already called me a Paolini fanboy, Lets see you write a award winning book at 16.