1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Hogwarts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Schilling, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Schilling

Schilling Second Year

I was wondering if Hogwarts and the area around it has some sort of accepted bluprints/ map

2. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

Nope. There are some basic diagrams of what goes where and the grounds, but no ones done a floor plan for it. The fact that the castle moves constantly actually disallows that, even if it is a good excuse to cover Rowlings slip ups.

In any case, the way its represented in the first two movies is the closest to canon, in you want to know.

3. Schilling

Schilling Second Year

i was just wondering because i've had nothing to do lately and was thinking of doing this.

4. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

Cool. I know the lexicon has some info on Hogwarts, but JK doesnt give us a detailed description of the place, which makes figuring it out almost imposible. Still, if you do try, good luck. I would be very interested to see what you come up with.

5. Schilling

Schilling Second Year

thx mad-eyes, i have a feeling that i'm gonna be busy.

6. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    I thought that only the stairs moved.

7. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

As far as I remember, not only do the stairs move, but so do the paintings, the doors and the rooms. The statues move, the suits or armor move, hell even the corridors and walls probably stretch their cramped mortars once in a while. I think I read somewhere that there are some rooms that change floors sometimes, even as others just move across the same floor.

I think the classrooms and common rooms are the ones that stay still, and probably teh reason why they are classrooms. But the rest is probably fair game. Who knows, maybe its not the corridors that move, but the decorations and the furniture that changes rooms when it wants.

I dunno. It is a school for witches and wizards. Why should it be boring and...normal. Which is something that the movies seem to have forgotten.

To get to the Divination classroom you have to climb a rope later through a trap door. Did they do that, tho? nope.

8. LINKed up

Well, athe paintings can move from frame to frame. I don't remeber anything about doors and rooms moving. Same thing with the corridors. It would get too confusing trying to navigate the school if the corridor that you used the day before was gone. Also, remeber, that school is far from normal.

9. Element

Element Seventh Year

Its quite hard to even guess how large Hogwarts is because J.K. Rowling hasn't been clear on the number of students that actually attend. I believe she said three hundred in one interview, and then backpedaled to saying one thousand students.

Well, anyhow, good luck. Even if I'm not totally convinced it can be done past the mapping of the Great Hall and a few classrooms.

10. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

It could be that the paintings and suits of armor move when they fancy and make it seem as if the corridors move. But I do know about the doors moving or disappearing, sometimes disguising themselves as a wall or something else. I know that there have been mentions by JK that some rooms move and what not, since that the way she explained some inconsistencies in the location of some things. And yes, I know that the school is far from normal, which is the whole point.

Ravenclaw came up with the floor plan for the school, and the enchantment for it, so they have to be somewhat ingenious.

11. Schilling

Schilling Second Year

well, i started out, but i'm gonna need some help/ suggestions where certain things are, so could you guys comment and suggest things and such? it'd be aprecciated much.

I've been thinking of towers and I came up w/ 4 so far,
    The Astronomy Tower
    the Divination one
    Gryf. tower
    and Ravenclaw tower, if it's a tower.

12. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

Lets see, theres the Astronomy Tower, which is the tallest, The Headmaster's Tower, where the office and recidence is. Theres the North Tower, where Divination took place. Gryffindor Tower, Ravenclaw Tower and The West Tower or Owley.

13. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

Heres a link to the Lexicon, where they have a schetch made by JK on the distrubution of the grounds, along with the general location of a couple of things.

14. Schilling

Schilling Second Year

thanx a lot madeyes.
    well crap, it seems like Hogwarts is already mapped out there.

15. DGD

DGD Headmaster

Not you too! AHHHHH!

16. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

Why are you twisting my words?! I haven’t made such heinous mistakes! Just read for yourselves!

*tries to look innocent*

Ok, so I always slip when typing that. It’s a curse.

17. LINKed up

Stuff like that happens when people type too fast. Get over it DGD. It's not like they're going to start typing whole posts in 1337 or AOL. THAT would be something to complain about.

18. Schilling

Schilling Second Year

*enter extremely long line of swear words here*
    i HATE the Harry Potter Lexicon grrrr....
    should i even do this?

19. LINKed up

Do you want to? It's your choice really.

20. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

lol, yes? Its a cool idea, since the inside of the castle hasnt been mapped out all that well. They make it too..regular, I suppose. Its an idea Ive had for some time, you know, actually designing Hogwarts, maybe even do a 3D model of it, but I havent had the time. It would be a nice challenge tho, so I still keep it in mind. If you still want to do it, I say go for it.