PDA

View Full Version : Hogwarts

Schilling
02-12-2006, 12:38 PM
I was wondering if Hogwarts and the area around it has some sort of accepted bluprints/ map

MadEyes
02-12-2006, 01:07 PM
Nope. There are some basic diagrams of what goes where and the grounds, but no ones done a floor plan for it. The fact that the castle moves constantly actually disallows that, even if it is a good excuse to cover Rowlings slip ups.

In any case, the way its represented in the first two movies is the closest to canon, in you want to know.

Schilling
02-12-2006, 01:14 PM
i was just wondering because i've had nothing to do lately and was thinking of doing this.

MadEyes
02-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Cool. I know the lexicon has some info on Hogwarts, but JK doesnt give us a detailed description of the place, which makes figuring it out almost imposible. Still, if you do try, good luck. I would be very interested to see what you come up with.

Schilling
02-12-2006, 01:30 PM
thx mad-eyes, i have a feeling that i'm gonna be busy.

LINKed up
02-12-2006, 02:45 PM
I thought that only the stairs moved.

MadEyes
02-12-2006, 02:52 PM
I thought that only the stairs moved.

As far as I remember, not only do the stairs move, but so do the paintings, the doors and the rooms. The statues move, the suits or armor move, hell even the corridors and walls probably stretch their cramped mortars once in a while. I think I read somewhere that there are some rooms that change floors sometimes, even as others just move across the same floor.

I think the classrooms and common rooms are the ones that stay still, and probably teh reason why they are classrooms. But the rest is probably fair game. Who knows, maybe its not the corridors that move, but the decorations and the furniture that changes rooms when it wants.

I dunno. It is a school for witches and wizards. Why should it be boring and...normal. Which is something that the movies seem to have forgotten.

To get to the Divination classroom you have to climb a rope later through a trap door. Did they do that, tho? nope.

LINKed up
02-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Well, athe paintings can move from frame to frame. I don't remeber anything about doors and rooms moving. Same thing with the corridors. It would get too confusing trying to navigate the school if the corridor that you used the day before was gone. Also, remeber, that school is far from normal.

Element
02-12-2006, 03:07 PM
Its quite hard to even guess how large Hogwarts is because J.K. Rowling hasn't been clear on the number of students that actually attend. I believe she said three hundred in one interview, and then backpedaled to saying one thousand students.

Well, anyhow, good luck. Even if I'm not totally convinced it can be done past the mapping of the Great Hall and a few classrooms.

MadEyes
02-12-2006, 03:10 PM
Well, athe paintings can move from frame to frame. I don't remeber anything about doors and rooms moving. Same thing with the corridors. It would get too confusing trying to navigate the school if the corridor that you used the day before was gone. Also, remeber, that school is far from normal.

It could be that the paintings and suits of armor move when they fancy and make it seem as if the corridors move. But I do know about the doors moving or disappearing, sometimes disguising themselves as a wall or something else. I know that there have been mentions by JK that some rooms move and what not, since that the way she explained some inconsistencies in the location of some things. And yes, I know that the school is far from normal, which is the whole point.

Ravenclaw came up with the floor plan for the school, and the enchantment for it, so they have to be somewhat ingenious.

Schilling
02-12-2006, 03:15 PM
well, i started out, but i'm gonna need some help/ suggestions where certain things are, so could you guys comment and suggest things and such? it'd be aprecciated much.

I've been thinking of towers and I came up w/ 4 so far,
The Astronomy Tower
the Divination one
Gryf. tower
and Ravenclaw tower, if it's a tower.

MadEyes
02-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Lets see, theres the Astronomy Tower, which is the tallest, The Headmaster's Tower, where the office and recidence is. Theres the North Tower, where Divination took place. Gryffindor Tower, Ravenclaw Tower and The West Tower or Owley.

MadEyes
02-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Heres a link (http://www.hp-lexicon.org/atlas/hogwarts/atlas-h-jkrmap.html) to the Lexicon, where they have a schetch made by JK on the distrubution of the grounds, along with the general location of a couple of things.

Schilling
02-12-2006, 03:36 PM
thanx a lot madeyes.
well crap, it seems like Hogwarts is already mapped out there.

DGD
02-12-2006, 03:43 PM
Heres a link (http://www.hp-lexicon.org/atlas/hogwarts/atlas-h-jkrmap.html) to the Lexicon, where they have a schetch made by JK on the distrubution of teh grounds, along with teh general location of a couple of things.

Not you too! AHHHHH!

MadEyes
02-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Heres a link (http://www.hp-lexicon.org/atlas/hogwarts/atlas-h-jkrmap.html) to the Lexicon, where they have a schetch made by JK on the distrubution of teh grounds, along with teh general location of a couple of things.

Not you too! AHHHHH!

Why are you twisting my words?! I havenít made such heinous mistakes! Just read for yourselves!

*tries to look innocent*

Ok, so I always slip when typing that. Itís a curse.

LINKed up
02-12-2006, 03:47 PM
Stuff like that happens when people type too fast. Get over it DGD. It's not like they're going to start typing whole posts in 1337 or AOL. THAT would be something to complain about.

Schilling
02-12-2006, 03:49 PM
*enter extremely long line of swear words here*
i HATE the Harry Potter Lexicon grrrr....
should i even do this?

LINKed up
02-12-2006, 03:50 PM
Do you want to? It's your choice really.

MadEyes
02-12-2006, 03:52 PM
lol, yes? Its a cool idea, since the inside of the castle hasnt been mapped out all that well. They make it too..regular, I suppose. Its an idea Ive had for some time, you know, actually designing Hogwarts, maybe even do a 3D model of it, but I havent had the time. It would be a nice challenge tho, so I still keep it in mind. If you still want to do it, I say go for it.

DGD
02-12-2006, 03:52 PM
Stuff like that happens when people type too fast. Get over it DGD. It's not like they're going to start typing whole posts in 1337 or AOL. THAT would be something to complain about.

Chill dude. I was just making a funny :wink: . I believe that was indicated by the " :P " at the end of my post. No need to get defensive.

MadEyes
02-12-2006, 03:54 PM

Chill dude. I was just making a funny :wink: . I believe that was indicated by the " :P " at the end of my post. No need to get defensive.

Well, I will say that I was greatly offended by your comments. Really, it seemed like you were making fun of my english, which, mind you, I have been trying a great deal to perfect. *pouts* :D

Schilling
02-12-2006, 03:54 PM
i say fuck the Harry Potter Lexicon, i'm goona do this anyways.
FF.net & the HP Lexicon need to do the following :mid2 or i'll :headshot: :axe: :chainsaw: :splatter:

LINKed up
02-12-2006, 04:07 PM
For FF.net blowing up, only the Nazi hamster that runs the place must blowup, the site itself is good, minus the abundunce of slahy fics.

MadEyes
02-12-2006, 04:08 PM
For FF.net blowing up, only the Nazi hamster that runs the place must blowup, the site itself is good, minus the abundunce of slahy fics.

...and crappy stories.

LINKed up
02-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Yes, that to. All of those stories must DIE!!!

Schilling
02-12-2006, 04:20 PM
LOL.
so, i was mapping out Hogsmead first, 'cause it'd seem the easiest.
I went to the HP lexi and there were only 11 places
they're
3 Broomsticks
Hog's Head
Zonko's
Post Office
Shrieking Shack
Madam Puddifoots
Quill Shop
Gladrags
Honey Duke's
Dervish & Banges
and the railroad station

I thought that that was barely anything for the only all Wizarding town in all of Britain and came up with mre places

the Library
Second Hand Store
Scamander's Pet Shop
Book Store

should there be anything else? should i just shut up and do it myself?

LINKed up
02-12-2006, 04:39 PM
Houses. There needs to be houses for the people that live there.

Schilling
02-12-2006, 04:40 PM
that there should be, thx LI.
nice new avi btw

LINKed up
02-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Its mine old one w/ inverted colors. I must say, though, it does look a bit more intimidating.

Schilling
02-12-2006, 05:09 PM
should i map the Forbidden Forest?
there could be Grawp, Werewolve territory, Fairies, Aragog, & lot's of other creatures

Piccaboo!
02-13-2006, 06:20 PM
LOL.
so, i was mapping out Hogsmead first, 'cause it'd seem the easiest.
I went to the HP lexi and there were only 11 places
they're
3 Broomsticks
Hog's Head
Zonko's
Post Office
Shrieking Shack
Madam Puddifoots
Quill Shop
Gladrags
Honey Duke's
Dervish & Banges
and the railroad station

I thought that that was barely anything for the only all Wizarding town in all of Britain and came up with mre places

the Library
Second Hand Store
Scamander's Pet Shop
Book Store

should there be anything else? should i just shut up and do it myself?

No mean to offend or anything but maps on Hogsmead has been done and are in the HP-lexicon so are maps on the Hogwarts grounds and department of mysteries - though i think the interior of the castle is yet untaken (:

fatal
02-26-2006, 10:25 AM
well done einstein. :lol:

I still cant understand how JK can say there are over one thousand students yet in HP dorm there are only 5 beds meaning that there would be roughly 40 pupils per year if the acceptance rate was porportional to sex.

Midknight
02-26-2006, 01:40 PM
5 beds x 2 (guys and girls in one year, in one house) = 10
10 x 4 houses = 40
40 x 7 years = 280 total students?

Aye she's WAY off on the belivability scale there.

Narf
02-26-2006, 01:54 PM
Well, you can't know how many students are in the years above or below Harry. Who knows, maybe Harry's class is abnormally small.

chronic dragon
02-26-2006, 02:33 PM
true. parents could've layed off shagging the year before harry and everyone else in his year was born. but who knows with all of rowlings plot holes.

LT2000
02-26-2006, 02:44 PM
Or maybe there were less Gryffindors than students in other Houses that year. I think it's fair to assume that there are students in Harry's year that Rowling hasn't bothered to mention explicitly in the books, especially in Houses other than Harry's.

pavonis
03-29-2006, 12:09 PM
There is always the possibility that there are more dorms for each year and JK just focuses on Harry's. The sorting was to take lots of time, and they can justify the use of an entire train with more than 3 cars on it. I personally don't see how a school like that can be economically viable with only 300 students.

Taure
03-29-2006, 12:26 PM
I think it's safe to say that Harry's year will be smaller than your average year due to the fact that the population of the wizarding world will have been hit pretty hard by Voldemorts first rise to power (through both murderings and the fact that parents won't want to bring children into a war torn world).

Also, I should expect that the years after Harry's will be exceptionally large, as it is likely that there was a post-war baby boom, similar to after world war 2.

Seraphym
03-29-2006, 02:47 PM
Its quite hard to even guess how large Hogwarts is because J.K. Rowling hasn't been clear on the number of students that actually attend. I believe she said three hundred in one interview, and then backpedaled to saying one thousand students.

How can there be 1000 students when there are only around 40 in Harry's class? Even if you consider that a low population class, it can't be that low in comparision.

Yarrgh!
03-29-2006, 10:12 PM
I wouldn't put it at above 450 people, including teachers and ghosts.

I'll go witht eh idea that Harry's class is abnormally small, and that there was a baby boom the year after and onwards.

Add in a hunred or 2 hundred house elves, and you're set.

BTW: did you guys notice something in the link to JK's map that MadEyes or someone posted?

HOGWARTS IS BUILT AROUND THE LOCH NESS LAKE!!! Apparently, the giant squid is supposed to be Nessie...she wrote Loch lake on the shitty little drawing. And, there's supposed to be a cliff by the lake.

Necrule Paen
03-30-2006, 01:30 AM
HOGWARTS IS BUILT AROUND THE LOCH NESS LAKE!!! Apparently, the giant squid is supposed to be Nessie...she wrote Loch lake on the shitty little drawing. And, there's supposed to be a cliff by the lake.

Wrong. Nessie, according to Rowling, is a Kelpie whose favorite form is a sea serpent that turns into a otter when a group of muggle researchers come by. And all lakes in Scotland are called Lochs it could also be an arm of the sea like a fjord.