1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Writing in a different century, help.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Nuhuh, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Alright, I am reminded of my Harry goes back to young Dumbledore's time story and want to take it up again. The major, major problem I have writing that story is to make the other characters of that time sound like they are from that time, and not 1990's Harry Potter.

I thought I'll just pick up a book written in the 1800's which is representative of British Literature and emulate the dialog in it...but I don't know which book/writer captures the way of speech at that time.

So any students of British literature out there have suggestions of books or authors, lets me know. The time period I am writing in is mid-19th century and onwards.

If you want to see which story it is, you can follow the link: In the Clockface, Weighted and Weary.

2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

He, my first idea was Arthur Conan Doyle. Sherlock Holmes might even be quite fun to read, although it's the late 19th century -- 1890 or something. Other than that, this is originally German (1819/1816), but its translations are from that time as well -- E.T.A. Hoffmann, Mlle de Scudéri; or even The Sandman.

I like Hoffman's style; and with a quick glance, it seems like the translators captured it well; especially in the latter case.

Edit:
    The good thing is, because of the age, the original works should be freely available. E.g. my favourite Holmes novel, The Hound of Baskervilles.

Hope this helps, Nuhuh. If not ... well, there are enough English people here ;)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  3. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

I know that the original version of Dracula is available on the Net somewhere. It was written around that time period, if I remember correctly. How accurately is represents the society I do not know.

4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Merrill is pretty good at this type of thing. Should send him a PM if he doesn't see this thread.

5. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Try Charles Dickens books, written in the mid to late 1800s, they are entertaining as well as very informative of different aspects of Victorian society.

Glad to see your carrying on with this, Ive been checking for a update.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  6. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

Find a copy of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. Its an incredible book, was published in 2004 I believe, and it is written as if it were a period 19th century work, although because the author wasn't being paid per word (which is why Dickens and the like tended to write so "flowery") she avoids being too tedious and still emulates the style.

A very good read, I think I have an ebook copy somewhere.

7. happy holidays

happy holidays Squib

Our class studied literature from the Victorian era last year in English.

I would recommend Picture of Dorian Gray by Wilde, Frankenstein by Shelley, Wuthering Heights by Bronte and Great Expectations by Dickens. Apart from capturing setting and dialogue of the 19th C they are also good reads.

Also if you like poetry you should check out Robert Browning, his work is epic.

8. failinggradstudent

failinggradstudent Squib

The only advice I can really give is to just use big words. The people back in the day had a far larger vocabulary then we did. Words such as perforate and things you would see out of Charles Darwin's book of Origin of species or even our modern day Biology text books were not uncommon.

The modern english language uses roughly 40k words currently to get by if you know about 40k words then your fine, back then they had more, i am not sure how much more might want to google it.

But I have to agree Frankenstein is a good idea. Though its a horror so in another way its a bad idea. Very bad idea.

Either way I am glad you started picking up on your work, the only other fic I found with that pairing is Back To the Place Where It All Began. If you are on this thread you probably know wha story I am talking about, I am not even going to explain it.

I am trying to be honest.

9. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

10. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

11. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Go for Oscar Wilde, fo' sho'. His is the example I try to emulate. And I'd advise against using too many idioms and phrases from that time, as well as colloqualisms. Mostly, I've found, they turn people off. If the dialogues your fic reads too much like a century or two ago, it's possible that you'd achievemore anachroism than what people like.

Just keep a mostly neutral dialogue flow, with little bits thrown in so that readers don't forget when it's all at. I guess you'd understand better than me though. :p

12. failinggradstudent

failinggradstudent Squib

Your sure putting a lot of work into this? Got any idea when you might want to release this story? That last chapter was addictive as sin.

13. Admonkeystrator

Admonkeystrator Seventh Year

Quoted for Truth.

David Copperfield would be an excellent model of comparison with Harry Potter, imo.
    Even down to the gimpy basement dwelling nemesis.

14. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oscar Wilde is too gay for me. You can actually feel the homosexuality oozing off the pages.