1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dragonlance comics

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Midknight, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

2. MrMucus

MrMucus Groundskeeper

For me, Huma was the best thing that came out of the Dragonlance series...well next to Raistlin and perhaps Lord Soth. Instead of having the usual elf and dwarf sidekicks he had a bloody minotaur. Legend of Huma was what originally got me into Dragonlance as a kid. /fanboy

[​IMG]

/boggle

Anyway, tell me what they're like if you do decide to pick them up Mid.

3. Midknight

Same. The first book I read was Legend of Huma. Epicness. Then I moved onto the various stories about the friends, then the Chronicles, then moved onto reading every book made.

What bothered me though was, after Magius, no mage really ever got to that power level again that they showed you that much of. Raistlin had to be there or close, if not way over Magius, but mostly they didnt show his enourmous power.

I've got them now, they seem to be fucking incredible just flipping through the pages. The Artwork is awesome, and stuff like Dragon Mnt. is boner worthy.

4. Evran

Evran Dark Lord Grimwulf DLP Supporter

I started off in the total wrong point in the series when I first got into dragonlance. The first books I read were the Dragons of a New age trilogy by Jean Rabe, was totaly confused but couldn't put it down to figure out where to start. I guess this is the reason Dhamon is my favorite Character.

5. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

heh. I did the exact same thing.

I read Rabe's series and then went back and read the Chronicles and Twins series.

6. Evran

You were confused as well weren't you? I didn't know what kender were for the longest time lol.

7. Midknight

meh Rabe raped the world so badly they had to bring in the big guns to fix it.

Interesting concept, but she used the alien dragons wrong.

8. Evran

I agree, its kinda wierd for dragons to come through space to end up on a planet and introduce that new type of magic. (dragon totem poles) But she's my favorite author for the Dhamon series and the Lake of death.

9. Novera

Novera Seventh Year

I read the annotated chronicles and absolutely hated it. Is the AC a good example of the type of series Dragonlance is?

10. Evran

Well Annotated Chronicles is for a person who already read the story, otherwise it gives it away.

11. Midknight

Chronicles is good, but it by itself is information overload. It started everything, but you really should start with stuff like Legends, or Soulforge/Brothers in Arms, or The Legend of Huma.

12. Anarual

Anarual Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Hmm. I started with the Cronicles, later on read pretty much every Dragonlance book I could find over here then I ordered some over the net. I read about 30 - 40 Dragonlance books. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dragonlance_novels

And when you look at that list there are stil a lot to read ;)

Right now I am reading the Dark Disciple Saga, although Mina is not my favorite Character.

As per the level of Magic you mentioned. It is impossible to compare Magius with Raistlin. Magius was powerfull beyond believe because he breached the laws of Magic by becomming a Renegade. I remember a quote in the Legend of Huma, when detailing a battle someone said that that storm is too powerfull for normal magic users, it must be renegades or something to that extent. Also it happened during the Age of Dreams which also is also of major significance. Aside from that, the Dragonlance magic system is very complicated and everything has a meaning, Magius being one of the most powerfull mages in history couldn't even cast all his spells, whereas a not so proficient and powerfull Palin being a white robe which automaticallyh restricted a lot of spells was able to cast Magius most powerfull spell during the War of Chaos, which banned chaos back into the Greygem. Also looking at it from a different perspective Magius lived during the hight of Sorcery and magic in general, there were hundreads of mages then and the possibilities to learn were much bigger, whereas Raistlin who even managed to become a god in one of the time periods which was later on reversed lived during times of chaos where there was only 1 ( ok there were more but only 1 was active when Raistlin was learning) Tower of high sorcery, the one in Wayreth.

The next Mage to consider here is Fistandantilus, without him Raistlin wouldn't even have lived, at the same time Fistandantilus was a black robe, although also loyal to Takhisis.......

IF you are interested I'll gladly talk about the most powerfull mage in Dragonlance bit ;)

Sorry for the mistakes, I am dead tired and already laying in bed.

As to starting the Dragonlance saga:

Meetings Sextet

Kindred Spirits (April 1991), by Mark Anthony and Ellen Porath, (ISBN 1-56076-069-9)
    Wanderlust (September 1991), by Mary Kirchoff and Steve Winter, (ISBN 1-56076-115-6)
    Dark Heart (January 1992), by Tina Daniell, (ISBN 1-56076-116-4)
    The Oath and the Measure (May 1992), by Michael Williams, (ISBN 1-56076-336-1)
    Steel and Stone (September 1992), by Ellen Porath, (ISBN 1-56076-339-6)
    The Companions (January 1993), by Tina Daniell, (ISBN 1-56076-340-X)

That will give you a great intro to the Cronicles starting with Dragons of Autumn Twilight. The Cronicles will give you a basic idea about the rest of the books. You could also read by the timeline, which is only possible if living in the States, seeing as everywhere else you'll have problems with getting the books like I do, having to buy them over the internet and shipped to Europe or ordering them in bookstores and waiting a month at a time :(

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  13. Midknight

Raistlin was a renegade a much as Magius I'd say. Raist had the black robes, but did what he wanted, everyone be damned. I think the main thing if you have to define it, is Raist was in a different time, where straying too far out would of gotten him axed by a God actually paying attention, where as Magius in that war had a lot of leeway. Seems there were renegades freaking everywhere at the time.

Raistlin however had an assload of powers, thousands of years worth of memories, but they just didn't power him up enough/show him using it. The guy's epic and amazingly written, the tower and the living/dead ones are awesome, him burning up Dalamar, etc, I just think they made him seem to be a shadow of his true strength.

14. Anarual

Another thing is that whereas both of them ( Magius and Raistlin ) went deeper into Magic they concentrated on different fields: Magius was a Battle Mage, and a scholar of Ancient lore ( From the age of Dreams ) whereas Raistlin went into the same field as Fistandantilus did:
    Alchemy, necromancy, immortality and manipulation of time, most of his live he tried to find out more about the darker aspects of magic, Magius on the other hand just looked for Ancient lore and battlespells that need more power than a normal White, Red or Black Robe could perform.

Also did you read the Defenders of magic trilogy? Because I bought the first book 4 years ago in Taipei and I was unable to order the other two anywhere :(

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  15. Midknight

16. Anarual

I've read the Night of the eye but I can't find the rest :(

17. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Okay, first off, the Dragonlance comics look sweet. A pity my monetary supplies are so limited...

As to the actual books... well, I've been a Dragonlance fan since I got the Legends series (rather a bad place to start off, but I still consider them fantastic books, especially 'War of the Twins', and after I got Chronicles, Dragons of Summer Flame, and the Soulforge/Brothers in Arms books, I bought Legend of Huma.

Besides being the most brutally epic Dragonlance book ever printed (and the fact that the author is excellent), I really enjoyed the characters and their evolution. One reason why I couldn't stand anything Jean Rabe wrote was because she didn't know how to make her characters evolve into anything significant (and that she ruined the 'alien dragons' concept and twisted the storyline so badly they need the War of the Souls just to make things make sense again). Legend of Huma was an epic story, and it's extremely difficult to find Dragonlance books nowadays that even approach that level.

I own all of the Defenders of Magic trilogy - I confess, I bought them all used, but it was one of the best investments I ever made. Once again, I agree the first two were far better than the third. They are solid novels, but I never really got into them the same way I got into Legend of Huma or the Legends trilogy.

Just a friendly warning to everyone who reads Dragonlance: the new Lost Chronicles are NOT at the same calibre as the other books, and I feel the original Chronicles (flawed as they may be) lose a lot of their magic. Dragons of the Dwarven Depths wasn't bad, but Highlord Skies was approaching fail. I'm worried about how well Hourglass Mage will turn out - considering it's a Raistlin-focused novel... and considering Raistlin resides with my all-time favourite fantasy characters (along with Zaknafein, Chainer, Kaz the Minotaur, and others).

As for the comics... hope they're good. Wish I had the money to get them.

18. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

Huh. Now I know where 'Lance the Dragon Master' in Pokemon came from.

19. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

20. Anarual

Angel I'll buy the 2nd and 3rd defenders of magic books if you want to sell them. Right now I have 4 Dragonlance books that I still haven't read but thats because I got too much Schoolwork and actuall work to even consider starting them because I know that if I do I won't do anything else except for reading.