1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Measure for Measure by FrackoftheHeathens - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Lord Osiris, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

Title: Measure for Measure
    Author: FrackoftheHeathens
    Rating: T
    Genre: General/Indy
    DLP Category: General
    Pairing: Harry/Daphne
    Chapters: 19
    Words: 84,716
    Updated: March 28, 2009
    Published: July 20, 2008

Summary: Harry Potter's fifth year. Featuring a believably sarcastic!/slightly independent!/STRAIGHT!Harry Harry/Daphne
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4410768/1/Measure_for_Measure

Relatively ok, nothing hugely awesome like Joe's wastelands of time but it is HP/Daph. While there is spelling and grammar mistakes it is a fairly easy read, especially as good fics are not updated everyday. The author has a Bleach and a Dresden fic out as well so there is good taste, all in all i'd say this is a 3/5 at the moment with grounds to improve in the coming chapters.

Checked by Minion, June 9, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2013
  2. azrael

azrael Professor

At the moment, I'd give this two out of five. Grammar mistakes, lack of plot, and short chapters are only slightly balanced by some mildly amusing humor. Seriously, there are seven chapters and it hasn't even reached the hearing for underage magic use yet. Also, this Harry is inconsistent. He seems to fluctuate between being mildly intelligent and being dumb as a sack of hammers.

3. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I dunno... I kinda liked it. No idea why, I just didn't get any vibes of horribleness off it.

Very different kinda read. I'd go 3.5/5 for keeping me mildly amused.

4. azrael

azrael Professor

It wasn't completely horrible, I agree, it was even mildly amusing, but as of right now I don't really think this is even worthy of the Recycling Bin. The author needs to stop talking about Grimmauld and how Harry's summer was "absolute shit" and try to actually advance the plot.

5. Innomine

High Score:
    Meh, I just liked the writing style. Didn't really feel a huge need for plot, it was simply a pleasure to read, since it was actually different to 99.99% of other fics that start off the same way.

I also enjoyed Tonks' characterization. She is normally the 'amazing' auror, here however, she is different. And not bad different.

Was also nice to see Hestia Jones talk, probably the first fic I have seen her talk in.

6. blablablub

blablablub First Year

I think it should be noted that its written in a POV, thats a down for me.

You were right azrael the author kind of talks alot about how Harry's summer was/is, but I like the way he is trying something "new" and didn't do the worst job doing it(no real big screw up yet).

I dont know what to think about this fic to short for me yet to actually judge but untill now I would say 2,5/5.

7. reggin

reggin Filthy Half-Breed DLP Supporter

2/5

Lack of advancement, grammar mistakes, etc.

8. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

I've been following this for a while and it is rather enjoyable, although that may just be my preference for post-GOF talking. Not quite library material however. 3/5.

9. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Damn it, I got a stupid error.

It's not my Internet connection, wouldn't be posting this if that was the case.

10. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

It's not just you. I got the error message too. If I remember I will come back in a day or two.

11. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

It's decent enough 3.5/5

12. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

Not good. Not bad. Not interesting either.

It's been stated already, but some plot advancement would be nice. Also, the author needs a good beta what with the grammar errors and excessive use of adverbs.

The saving graces thus far are that Hestia Jones & Mrs. Black's painting are at least somewhat different-- they're a bit different than canon and most fanon that I've read. For that, the story gets an extra half star for a total of 2.5.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  13. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

It's okay to read but I got one of those annoying stops on teh first chapter where I can't read the end.

It isn't to plot-worthy. The Dursleys aren't there at #4 for the moment and Harry isn't absolutly a stupid F^ck or anything; though speaking to Rita about anything may be seen as such. Tonks and Lupin are there somewhere, and the twins are usually a hoot.

God I hate Dumbles right now. Isn't there just something so wrong about listening to your headmaster dictate your holidays, 'home life' and anything you do?? The unrealistic part about 'taking down' McNair and not being investigated or something was dumb. Eh. 3/5.

14. Innomine

High Score:
    Updated, i'm still really enjoying this.

Nothing huge on the plot department, but the writing is extremely clear, and has a sarcastic!harry, probably my favorite type of Harry.

15. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

A new update, and I think I found plot! o_O

That's not to say I know where the author wants to take the story, but the trial is just around the corner, we've actually made it to the Ministry.

Other than that; it's still annoying me in some parts and Harry needs to do Hestia so she shuts up, but as for something in-between, it's not bad.

It could be much better, though, if it was more cohesive and less random. Hopefully, this is the first step.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  16. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I'll echo earlier comments and mention how irritating it is that we've had nine chapters and barely gone anywhere. A lot of the interaction seems to serve little purpose except to get a laugh, which it doesn't really do to me anyway. It may all come together... but I doubt it.

The Harry here bugs me a little, too. It reminds me of the 'Unchained' Harry - who irks me to no end - but tamer, and a lot less sexual.

That aside, presently I can only give it a 2. I have to struggle through the last couple chapters. I'll see what develops in the next couple chapters before making a final decision, though.

17. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

Gary Stu at best.

The story started well but developed into this pseudo-witty mold that's highly boring because the author completely lacks the skill to pull it off. 2/5

18. h2o

h2o Professor

Oh I dunno... I found it sort of interesting. Until...
    She wasn’t really trying to hold me back so slipping out of her grip wasn’t a problem. I pulled away and grabbed her. A flash of something coursed through my head, but I wasn’t paying any attention. My hand was around Hestia’s throat as I slammed her into a cold stone wall that hadn’t been there a few seconds prior.

“Don’t play games with me,” I growled out, it sounded a bit more guttural than I had expected. She couldn’t answer, I was squeezing too hard. My eyes widened and I let go. The Healer slumped to the ground, her eyes wild with fear. I hadn’t meant to hurt her, no something had influenced me. The same flash of emotion burned through my mind and my scar prickled.

This was good up until you find out that its Voldemorts emotions have too much inpact on Harry. (I was thinking "Oooh, Harry can smack a bitch! Sort of, I like!" then he felt bad about it) I can't stand a Harry who starts laughing like a maniac all of a sudden cus' Voldemort is happy (This happens later). Fuck that. He gets surges of emotions in canon, he doesn't go all APESHIT on some bitch or start cackling like a madman.

Still... there is promise here imo, it had me interested despite its extremely slow pace (Something needs to be done about that quickly tbfh). And that's if we're spared any more shitty Kingsley (Or any other character) flashbacks. I don't give a shit about their memories unless its completely vital to the plot. Kingsley's wasn't.

2.5/5 now (Do I give it a 3 or 2 in that case? :p). Its getting a 2, not feeling generous atm. If you're thinking about reading this, do. Its not a complete waste of time, mind you... it will probably just get you hungry for moar fics. Evul that is :(

Edited to add: Oh... 2 = bad. Its getting a 3, Average fits this story much better.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  19. failinggradstudent

failinggradstudent Squib

Its good, i like it its enjoyable. I'll give it 5 out of 5 for just pure originality. I hope he keeps updating.

20. Innomine

High Score:
    It has been updated a few times since this post was last visited. I find myself continually enjoying this fic, I guess it could be called a guilty pleasure, and I seem to be the only person who really think this deserves a spot in the library.

At least now, a plot is starting to come to shape.