1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Doppelganger by HoraceCrux - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by TwilightAmbition, Oct 8, 2008.

1. TwilightAmbition

TwilightAmbition First Year

Title: Doppelganger
    Author: HoraceCrux
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure (What the author calls it, but doesn't fit so far.)
    Summary: AU. Albus Dumbledore keeps a secret that may be the very downfall of the wizarding world. Will Voldemort learn of this secret which Dumbledore values more than the prophecy? Or, will someone find out what it is?

Link: ffn

Has a very interesting (unique) idea and relatively strong (though amatuer) writing, however the updates are extremely slow and the plot isn't advancing fast enough for my liking. Still I throughly enjoyed it. 4.5/5

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  2. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Haven't read it, but I just wanna point out that you are linking to the 9th chapter, not the first.

3. TwilightAmbition

TwilightAmbition First Year

Well, had to fuck up somehow in my first For Review thread.

4. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Just for that I'm going to give this story a try. Will edit with thoughts...

EDIT: I have mixed feelings about this one. On one hand, it's an idea that I've never seen before (which is almost always a good thing), but on the other hand, it's not written well. At all. Seriously, I couldn't stomach more than two chapters.

It's an AU, but almost everything is exactly the same (except for Sirius going to Azkaban). I mean you replace Harry with Neville and that's it.

I'll give the story idea a 4/5, because it needs a little work... but even though I only read the first two chapters, I can't give the story itself more than a 2/5. It might be Trash Bin material, but even that is stretching it.

The best thing for this story is to get a DLPer to rewrite it.

5. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

You might want to read the next few chapters before rating it. The fic takes a turn after a couple of more chapters.
    I am currently at chapter 6, and I am liking it.
    The fic is promising, even though the writing isn't the best, but it is good enough.
    Also, the author really needs a beta, but if you can ignore the small errors, the whole concept is good, and filled with suspense.
    I will rate it properly after i finish it. As of now, I would rate it 3.5, only missing 4, because of the errors, a beta could have taken care of.

All right, I have read the 9 Chapters. My rating for this fic is 4. If the author doesn't drag it anymore.

6. h2o

h2o Professor

Its hard to say when it comes to this story... the good parts are a very interesting plot so far, the author can make this into a brilliant fic. Three of the characters are already very interesting, Dumbledore, Sirius and Harry (Thankfully). I can't take a booring Harry. The strongest + is the plot for sure, as well as a great scene with Luna & Harry fairly early on that I just couldn't help but smiling at. Then we have rather booring and how shall I put this... "Fanfic written" characters like Hermione & the Weasleys (Except Fred & George, then again its hard to fail at them unless you have them doing "Twin-speaking" all the FUCKING TIME! I fucking hate it when they abuse that.) It looks like Harry is going to be getting chummy with them anyway... a bit sad.

Then we get to the not so good parts. This author has either no clue about the rules of commas & punctuations or just doesn't care about them. Its terrible in the first 3-4 chapters (Sentances being cut of with a . only to be continued with a "But" or a sentance starting "But, then, word, here, and there,), get's a little bit better later on though. The grammar isn't stellar either, still... its not terrible.

Still, despite the flaws this is well worth a read so far... a big plus is that 9 chapters have so far given us almost 50k words, not too shabby! I'm looking forward to the next chapter and there's not many stories atm that I can say that about. This author needs a Beta or two tho, hopefully someone who can steer him away from getting all chummy chum chum with Hermione & the Weasleys. I don't dislike them in canon... its just that in fics nobody ever really writes them well. Skip them altogether, put them in the background or something... there are more interesting characters to use like Luna (I think J.K herself seemed to have discovered that along the way), Neville if written well, Susan Bones, Padma etc etc.

A major warning however since there is one Major Fail in this story. The "six" (Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Neville, Luna & Susan Bones) are getting extra training from Sirius cus' they're oh so brilliant, special and fluff fluff boo-hoo I dont' give a shit. Fuck them, why are they getting special training and shit. Dumbledore doesn't care about them, they're not Harry Potter. Its stupid and I hate it.

Also:
    “I have a feeling they will play an important role in Harry’s life,” Sirius said mysteriously. (This is said about the six students mentioned above)

So... a very interesting plot, interesting Dumbledore, Harry & Sirius. Good Harry - Luna scene, which reminds me there's a pretty good Hedwig - Harry scene as well... which kinda becomes fail-ish later. I'm giving it 3/5, mostly cus' its the only WIP fic to hold my interest long enough since Back Again, Harry?

Edited to add:Forgot to say that the plot while not brand new is otherwise pretty original. Me likes.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  7. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

The inability to use correct tenses drove me bug-fuck very quickly. 2/5

8. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Come on, it's not horrible. I think the concept is good, and I'm interested to see how fake!Harry will interact with real!Harry. Sure, the execution of said concept is lacking slightly, but it's not so horrible that it doesn't at least deserve the Recycling Bin. Rated 4/5 for concept and to balance others