1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Backup

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Vesvius, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Well, my copy of Backup came in the mail yesterday. I read it in about twenty minutes and enjoyed it a great deal. Anyone else read it yet?

2. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What is it?

3. Vesvius

It's a novelette taking place after Small Favor, with Thomas as the main character. The plot revolves around him helping Harry without Harry knowing jack about it. It's mostly about Thomas, but there're a few of the others in it.

I think it also has a bit with Harry, Lara talking on the phone while being double teamed by two girls, Justine being a messenger, and Bob being just plain awesome.

4. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Is it available in stores, or just online?

5. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

It's not available in stores until Halloween, I believe.

6. Samuel Black

Picked it up yesterday, and I greatly enjoyed it.

7. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Lara being doubleteamed by two girls? :awesome

8. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

The most awesome part of that book by far.

9. Samuel Black

I enjoyed the
    ending confrontation between Thomas and that Stygian Sister girl. Nice to see a vicious side to Thomas, in my opinion.

10. Blackvoice

Blackvoice Third Year

Where I live, there's no way in hell a Dresden book is gonna arrive. Ever. Much less a short story like this. Help? <_<

11. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I know that no DLP members would be fucking retarded enough in the head to actually request illegal warez and get permanently banned, so here's one of the many places you can purchase yourself a copy of Backup: amazon.com.

Then again, if you're too poor you can always ask the nearest library to order it if they don't already have your name on the waiting list to check it out.

12. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

Not many libraries currently have the book. By way of comparison, a little over three times as many libraries have Small Favor.

If you know that your local library's not going to order the book, you can always ask them if they can get it via interlibrary loan. One thing to consider though is that libraries tend not to loan new books to other libraries.

13. Samuel Black

So... just out of curiosity, is this one of those websites that pulls your zip code magically out of your computer automatically, or is that your actual zip code?

14. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

I think it's either that the former or that it gets the zip code from your internet service (or wireless provider if you're at a coffee shop) provider (IP recognition). Whatever zip code is assigned to the ISP comes up on there. If you know the zip code is wrong, you can change it.

Edit to add: For what it's worth, the zip code that automatically showed up when I accessed worldcat.org for me was not the right zip code, but it was close enough (a location some 10 miles away) to not matter.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  15. Blackvoice

Blackvoice Third Year

Woops. Maybe I should have been more specific... alright, I just wrote that all wrong. Damn. It sounded rethoric in my mind... Maybe I need more actual sleep instead of naps?

What a nice thing must it be to live in a place where libraries are actually good for something. ): I'll think about Amazon, I'm owed a birthday gift, after all...

16. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I finally remember why I felt like Backup was a ripped off to some extent. In the TV movie Merlin, the one from years ago, Queen Mab is defeated because with the rise of Christianity, there aren't enough people that believe in her enough anymore to fuel her powers.

The Oblivion war could of been done better, I like how he did it, but still.

17. Solace

Solace First Year DLP Supporter

I haven't lurked as long in the DF forums as I have with the HP areas, but I didn't see this little short mentioned anywhere exclusively, so I thought I'd bring it up. Thomas POV; it takes place before Turn Coat, I believe - but you can double check. I was curious to see what other Dresden fans thought of it. Personally, I liked it. But I am a lone voice of opinion.

What did you all think?

(If it was mentioned previously, I apologize in advance - just send me to the thread, and all shall be well.)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  18. Vesvius