1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pureblood traditions.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Peteks, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

Hi.

I'm writing a fic where Harry is raised as a pureblood 'prince'(He is kidnapped and raised by a Death Eater Augustus Rookwood).

Now, I think that rich purebloods somewhat match with the Nobility of England.

So, my real question is, would it be believable for Purebloods to train in basic skills at sword fighting, Riding and Archery? I'm not meaning some superpowered skills that you learn in 5 minutes, but the basic skills.

I'm also thinking of some training in manners, ball-etiquette and such.

2. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Seventh Year

Have Harry play polo while wearing a stupid hat and saying old chap or old sport a lot and you've got it.

3. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

No. Majority of Purebloods hate muggles, so why would they do things that muggles do? Why ride a horse when you can apparate? Why use a sword when you have magic?

Sure.

4. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Monocles.

ON BOTH EYES.

5. mjc

mjc Seventh Year

As to the riding...who says it has to be limited to horses?

What about hippogriffs? Other winged 'horses'?

Sword play...there are precedents for Wizarding swordsmen.

Archery...can be used as a means of training hand/eye coordination.

Etiquette...probably, and it looks like something else Ferret-boy failed at.

There has to be something that the 'rich' Purebloods do that those like the Weasleys don't/can't afford to do.

Where's Methene when you need him?

6. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

In b4 Methene.

I'd rule out archery as a Pureblood practice, seeing as centaurs are archers - filthy half-breeds they are. Same with riding animals; they've been used ceremonially as carriage-pullers. The only times beast have been ridden were at Hagrid's urging or in emergency situations.

Then again, the primary setting (Hogwarts) suggests a lot of middle age influence. Perhaps they do practice swordplay, archery, etc., but believe that there's a proper way (theirs) and a boorish way (muggle, half-breed, Mudblood).

7. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

This is what I thought. The only differences between Rich-bitch Malfoys and piss-poor Weasleys should not be the quality of Robes and Brooms, and ability to cheat your way out of problems. There just needs to be something more.

My point exactly. Besides, at least sword is a nice decorative piece for wizard, and learning just some basic techniques isn't overly hard.(I have fenced and trained with Longsword in the past, was not superb, but could still hold my own for short periods of time even against more experienced swordmen.)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  8. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

One thing you might want to think of is the titles of your many pureblood families, assuming that the rich purebloods have peerages (titled) and the slightly poorer ones are the gentry (upper class but not titled.) You could establish a pecking order among pureblood families.

Also the title Lord is often a blanket term, for example 'Lord Bob Earl of somewhere.' It is not the main title, but tends to be used in conversation. Also the hair of the titled person will often use the highest lesser title there parents have until they inherit. So, for example if Lucius Malfoy was a Earl, then Draco could be a Viscount.

Sorry for the long rant, but this has been irritating me more and more in these sorts of story's lately.

9. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

I will certainly keep that in mind. Thanks for the advice.

10. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

You could also try your hand on some "family" only skills/arts. While a great deal of authors try to make harry uber powerful with all his Shadow Powers/Merlin-staff/Vella Charms/ Whatever the fuck kids like using these days, theres still potential for a good written fiction with those(as long as you dont focus all your plot on it i guess). After all, if you can put a hair inside a piece of wood and expect it to focus magic, while not explore other magical foci?(dresden rings for instance, are crude but useful.)

but please, dont even try using a Hyper-magic-conduct infused on gryffindor sword that somehow gets bonded on your arms. thats way overdone i think...

and also, i doubt these artifacts should allow easier focus or a better way to perform all kinds of magic, if so, why would you use wands in the first place?

11. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

Not overdone, I prefer retarded. :D

Family only skills could be a nice addition, but I can't think of anything that doesn't go quickly towards Super!Harry, which I don't want. Harry can be strong, but not just ultimate kick!ass at least before 7th year...

Want to give me some ideas on this, so I won't have to give him some retarded fire elemental ability which is so overused?

12. Sorrows

You could think about what pureblood kids do before they go to Hogwarts, is there a Eton style school they all go to or are they home schooled?
    Do they learn Latin or calligraphy, do get a 'classical' education?
    Do they learn science (meaning 'the earth is round' and 'once there was dinosaurs'?)

You will have to be really careful with the 'family abilities' thing. But you could do things such as spells that are exclusive to the family or a tendency or tradition to excel in one area of magic like charms or dulling. This could be a way to make Harry competent at something but not uber!Harry.

13. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

I kind of like the idea that Potter's are generally more adept at Transfiguration. I could get Harry to have a personal tutor, who teaches him Animagus exercises, and maybe he could become animagus around 2nd/3rd year(Thinking that Marauders became animagi without help during their 5th year, so if Harry got tutored he could achieve the feat sooner.) That about sums up all 'super' powers I'm willing to integrate into the story.

The home-schooling actually sounds very good. I believe that purebloods should be able to get a bit of an 'head start' in their studies. Unless they are as retarded as young Malfoy.

14. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

No. I feel like Purebloods would consider turning into an animal beneath them - werewolves would be legit otherwise.

15. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Lycanthropy would be considered a disease, whereas animagus are legit wizards who have worked hard to achieve a difficult magical skill. If nothing else blood purists would want to prove they are more capable than any one else and can achieve something few others can.

16. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

I've always felt that purebloods wouldn't be interested in something so vulgar as muggle peerages. Lord Voldemort's title is utterly assumed, and I don't think the nobility would take him very seriously if he used fake title while they had the real deal.

17. Sorrows

I always thought they didn't know Voldemort was Tom Riddle, or they just respected his power.

The title of Lord is used to indicate nobility it is not a actual peerage title, there are Dukes, Marquesses Earls Viscounts and Barons. These are the only British hereditary peerages (which I am assuming are the ones the purebloods have) most of them use the working title of Lord/Lady, except Baron I think.

Question: Since titles are awarded by the Crown who do you recon gives out wizard titles, or are they just self styled Lords?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  18. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Who's to say that titles are muggle in origin? They may well originally have been held by wizards, or come from time when both societies co-existed in peace.

And Sorrows, titles originally indicated land ownership, so that could be where wizarding families get their titles. No titles are given out any more, they simply apply to those who originally had them. They don't get transfered with the lands, they simply die out with families. It could be a method of distinction in pureblood circles, if you have a title it means your family was around and important at this point in time, whereas if you don't you weren't important enough to merit a title or your family is just that much younger.

19. Sorrows

I know but I was assuming that since that is a muggle law it would not necessarily count in the wizarding world.
    Although you could have life peerages as a recognition of achievement, but I think that law is only about 50 years old.

Mordecai, that is one way of doing it, or you could say the titles originate from a time that both worlds were more heavily connected, possibly at one point the Kings and Queens ruled over both worlds so the titles could come from there.

20. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    I disagree with the usage of 'muggle' nobility titles for presenting some kind of hierarchy among the pure blood families.

While I do agree on comparing the pure blooded families to nobilities, many of them might have had some titles given to them during the centuries for various services as well, I doubt that many of those families would parade with those titles. Why? Because they are muggle associated titles, representing ranking under the crown.
    It seems more likely to me that the title of a Lord is used mainly to represent the current head of an old family, more so then simply hereditary title.

If you want to present some kind of a hierarchy standing among the magical families, do use the fact of how old those families are. Supporting the idea that older families do have some better way of using magic due to their heritage.

Why don't you explore the possibility of people with pure blood or at least those from old magical families, actually have advantage due to the their 'old' blood?

What I mean is - often you see here and there stories with blood magic and how important it supposevely is, so what if it actually is important? What if wizards using magic do change with time and generations to evolve and become better accustomed to their abilities. Think of a plant adapting to the environmental changes to fit better. What if the older the family the better the affinity to their magic?
    That doesn't make them in any way more powerful by default but simply means that they'd have better access to their magic. For example you can think of parents becoming animagi, if they had then the magical heritage would allow their offspring to acquire the skill easier than if they hadn't.

That is why muggle-born wizards, are in a slight disadvantage. But that said it doesn't mean that with enough practice and studies mudbloods can't become powerful and more knowledgeable than the scions from the old families. But rather they are put in behind when talking of more obscure branches of magic because they simply lack the magical affinity to learn them.