1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mercy!

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Antivash, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

So. I was digging though Amazon, looking for some interesting books and I came across the Mercy Thompson series. It looks a bit like Anita Blake. Possible Win, much potential to fail haaaarrrdd.

Anyone read it, and can give me an opinion?

Or for that matter, recommend some good books?

Ive got The Gentlemen Bastards series, Black Company, the first Mistborn book, the first Long Price Quartet, Artemis Fowl, Dresden, Alera, Bond, and a shit load of other stuff, but some of the newer books and such would be awesome.

SO what new, epic series do you have for me, my friends?

2. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

http://www.amazon.com/Name-Wind-Kingkiller-Chronicle-Day/dp/075640407X

This is Rothfuss' debut novel, and it is disgustingly good. If he continues on this level for the planned Kingkiller Trilogy. We will be talking about it as one of the greatest trilogies ever, and Rothfuss as one of the greatest authors ever.

Here is Publishers Weekly Review.

Oh and did I mention this Amazon's 2007 Book of the Year? Also Rothfuss is one one of the most down to earth you will probbale see or read. You can check out his blog here.

http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/blog/blog.html

3. Antivash

Already read that, Phily. Awesome book, but already done. :(

I didnt like the last 3 chapters with Chronicler and Bast, but its an awesome read, otherwise.

4. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

I've already started a thread for the Vampire Earth series, it's worth repeating. Some of the greatest sci-fi out there today.

For a what Anita Blake could have been if she hadn't gone Vampire Humper-The Hollows series by Kim Harrison

I've never read it, but it seems that anyone who comes in physical contact with "A song of fire and ice" creams themselves, so it might be worth checking out.

Ahh hell, I had like a good 2 gb of great fiction on my HDD before it failed the other day, I'll see what I have left later tonight.

Just a warning, there has been some buzz about The "Mortal Instruments" series, by Cassandra Clair (Yes, the one who wrote the Draco Trilogy and was found to have been stealing others work).

Don't read it. Don't even touch it. That series personifies everything that is wrong with fantasy today.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2008
  5. Antivash

NONO JOHN! No mention evils like bchan. Legality and all that.

Ive read parts of Blake. Shit. Hollows by Harrison is similar. :/ looked like a post apocalyptic Female Dresden.

Cassandra Clair is fail, either way so no worries there.

6. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

It's A Song of Ice and Fire. People keep switching them. :(

I could grope for superlatives without ever finding one that would do the series justice, so yeah. I'll settle with saying that it induces powerful erections. At least the first book does, a Clash of Kings is on hold at the library.

I haven't read The Name of the Wind, but several Amazon reviewers that gave it negative to mediocre reviews have recommended The Farseer Trilogy instead.

7. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Gotcha.

As to Hollows, I'd say it's similar, in the same light that Both the main characters are female and it's urban fantasy. Besides that they completely branch out. Hollows actually have realistic problems, it's not "omg lyk I tottally can't stop lyk fucking my harem of men!", that you get in Blake.

EDIT:I realize I kind of contradicted myself, I meant that The Hollows is what Blake should have been in the idea that a female lead in a Urban Fantasy book could have been.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  8. Antivash

It can be tedious at points, and its fucking huuuuge, and as I said, I didnt like the last two or three chapters, but its an interesting read. Awesome book.

9. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

Yep. It's very good, one of the best books with a female main character that I've read in a while. And I'm quite picky about female main characters, as they tend to annoy me fast.

Angst Level: close to zero, considering the potential for it. The main character hesitates between two guys, but this is hardly a plotpoint, just a background situation. She's not whiny or angsty about it either, preferring not to dwell too much on it. Which is just as well.

Each book is written like a mystery/suspense novel; the plots are solid and the author doesn't lose herself in half a dozen subplots as writers often do. Mercy's world isn't as intricate or complex as Dresden's, there are only three to four supernatural species described -- werewolves, vampires, and faeries -- but the direct consequence is that each of them is well-developed and made coherent and familiar. They're all rather interesting, too. I haven't read many vampire/werewolf/faery stories, but this one's different from all those I have read.

Mercy's character is really quite likeable. She's the only known member of a species that's gone extinct a long time ago, and as such she is different -- but not overpowerful. She has her own assets. Her personality is a plus, too; neither a total bitch nor a whiny teenager (I think she's in her late twenties).

Well, on the whole I liked it. There might be a few things that will annoy other people in there, but it's a good read.

10. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

I have to agree with Tinn here, I read the first two books the other day by chance, then remembered this thread so I came back to respond.

Let me first say that while I like female main characters, often times authors seem to fall into what I call the "Anita Blake" trap.

What I mean by that is, the female main character has to be stronger than all men so she can dominate them, and all females in the books need to hate her. There are some exceptions of course to give a small suggestion of respectability. But these are the exceptions, not the rule. Also of course all male characters must love the main female character, or at least be in lust with her.

Mercy doesn't fall into that trap, however it DOES have it's short comings. Or rather, the great potential for short comings. The series shows multiple men showing an interest in her, even "loving her"-For NO APPARENT REASON. (Okay one has a reason, the rest don't.) It could go a couple of ways with this angle, I'm really hoping it doesn't follow the Blake road here.

Anyway, great series-so far. The potential for a great series is there, but thee potential for fail is also obvious.

I wrote this just after taking my valium prescribed for sleep, hope it's not too terrible.

11. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

A bit obtuse but:

http://www.bookgeeks.co.uk/2008/12/...f-and-fantasy-author-panel-science-and-magic/

Contains references to a number of books and authors.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008