1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Forward by Peptuck - T

Discussion in 'Firefly' started by Dark Syaoran, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Title: Forward
    Author: Peptuck
    Rating: T
    Pairing: N/A
    Summary: In the wake of the Miranda broadwave, there's only one direction for Malcolm Reynolds and his crew to go. Part Three: Mosaic - One ship, nine crew, and more complications than Malcolm Reynolds can stomach. Post-BDM, Series.

Link: FanFiction.Net

Best story I've read in this fandom. Only thing people might not like right off the bat is the fact that Book and Wash are still alive, but otherwise, nothing of note.

Characterizations are pretty spot on, in my opinion. Story flows really well.

2. Jangel

Jangel Earl of Someshit

Found this on your C2 the other day, Syao. Excellent fic. Wish there was more good Firefly fanfiction.

3. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, absolutely spectacular characterization.

I like the fact that wash and book are alive, two of my favorite characters, i'm reading it slowly, savoring it.

Looking forward, I can't wait to see more of Books background, that always really caught me.

Much thanks to Syao for putting me onto this.

4. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

This one is epic. It manages to make the feel of Firefly completely, and the characterization is stunning. I honestly feel like I'm reading the second season of Firefly. Definite rec, 5/5.

5. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'd always thought that finding good Firefly fanfiction was impossible. Aside from Nonjon's, the best I'd read were Buffy crossovers (of which there are a few) and they weren't good enough for me to rec them.

6. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I couldn't even read nonjon's story since I quickly felt out of the loop. Does this require knowledge of the Firefly universe to read?

I read his Final Fantasy VIII stories before it even occurred to me to read Harry Potter.

Another thing that puzzles me is the number of F.E.A.R. references in his fic Ronin - but F.E.A.R. was released after he finished his fic. :/

And his Halo fanfic. Oh, what a Halo fanfic.

7. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

Yeah, you need to know about Firefly. The story is post-Season Only and Movie.

Currently I'm reading it. And Episode one was... awesome. Simply and utterly awesome.

8. Azrael's Little Helper

Azrael's Little Helper High Inquisitor

Just finished episode 1 - it is fucking amazing. One could mentally see the whole thing played out using scenery from the series and the whole thing becomes another episode, just one that is screened in your own head. Fantastic. Rating this is an insult.

appropriate choice of name for the character Nemo - after all, "there is nothing left to see."

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  9. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Having read through the whole fic, I have to say that so far it was really well done; the main cast had spot-on characterization. I'm particularly impressed with how the author gets the subtler details of the characters right; Mal is ultimately a good man, but not a nice man, Jayne is an asshole with redeeming features, River is crazy, but still super-genius teenager and occasionally a bit of a brat.

Now, on to things that probably need a spoiler tag just to be safe:

The most recent episode was possibly my favorite; River getting drunk and making out with a girl was surprising, but great if for no other reason than the reaction of all the other characters. Also, when the author built up so much dramatic tension for what looked like it would be an epire martial arts battle between River and Quan, he gives the old cliched line about "at last I have found a worthy opponent" ... and then River shoots him. Possibly my favorite scene in the entire fic, though Jayne setting himself on fire and charging into a knife fight or the sledgehammer ninja or alse pretty awesome.

Zoe being pregnant sounds like a nice plot element; I'm curious to see how the author is going to handle that, especially when it gets far enough along that Zoe will be out of the amazon business for a while.

10. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

Thanks for this thread; I've gone too long without a really good fic to read... This was just what I needed.

11. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

Brilliant. Just brilliant. Even if Whedon tried to make s second series, perhaps in the form of a comic book (a la Buffy Season Eight) This would still be awesome just because of Was and Shepard still being alive. An easy 5/5.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  12. Pyromaniac

Pyromaniac Third Year

Wonderful fic, and it's impossible for it to be jossed =P

Oh, and a new update is up at ffn.

13. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

It's been updated, and I have to say: this arc looks to be fairly interesting.

14. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Oh, that just made my fucking day.

15. Illution

Illution Seventh Year

I also caught the reference to the doctor horrible sing along blog.

16. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Another pretty awesome chapter. They have the worst darn luck.

17. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Updated. Decent chapter, although the first Dr. Horrible reference was enough. The "I think this is what pain feels like." line just bothered me.

18. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

One of the best fics I've ever read. Characterisation is spot on, descriptions are spot on, writing is spot on, action is spot on.

5/5 with absolutely no reservations from me.

19. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

I'm not all that sure, but there may actually be a couple of comics in the Firefly genre. I don't know if it is a continuance of the TV series or just a stand alone though. I've seen a couple of adds about it when I was reading at The Pit.

Well I'm off to read this now. I'll edit when I'm done.

20. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Yeah, there are a few comics. I can't remember where they take place in the timeline, though. Pretty sure it's between the last episode of the series and the movie.