1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Comprehensive List of The Best Fics?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by david9, Feb 17, 2006.

?

"Favorites" list of stories?

1. No

100.0%
  2. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. david9

david9 Banned

I was talking to somebody about fics today, and was pointed to this which is basically a list of that group's favorite HP fics. Unfortunately it is dominated by slash, but it got me thinking.

Why don't we make a thread devoted to the best, long (I'd say 50,000+ words) fics sorted by ship and genre(dark, independent, evil, etc)? Maybe two seperate lists, so if you have a story with dark harry and he's shipping with BL, in one list you'd have him with all the Dark stories and in the other you'd have him with the HP/BL stories...

I haven't read NEARLY enough fic to get something like this started, what do you guys think?

2. SlytherinDamian

SlytherinDamian Raptured to Hell

That's all good and well, but it sounds like a glorified C2 community to me. I suppose there's nothing wrong with an 'official' DLP list/C2, but I think getting consensus would be hard, and if we forgo consensus, we'll have... just another C2 bloated with lots of questionable fics. *shrugs*

3. david9

david9 Banned

Doesn't even have to be a consensus, some people just aren't going to like certain stories whether it's because of the ship, a character's death, the way the story ends up, etc. Just well written (doesn't look like it was written by an esl student, even if it was), a decent story, and over 50,000+ should be good enough.

4. SlytherinDamian

I understand that, but 'well written' and 'decent' leaves a lot of room for differing opinions. I imagine what you and I would consider those things differs from some of our younger members. What I'm asking is who will be determining what gets included? The mods? The most regular posters? The oldest people? It seems unless you have a little stricter and more specific guidlines for what gets in and what's vetoed, it would inevitably become just another C2. Vash has a C2 I think... does that fit your idea?

5. david9

david9 Banned

The easiest way would probably be to have a poll that only registered users could vote on (maybe a post minimum too, so you don't get vote fixing), that could be changed by the mods.

I've never seen vash's c2, and most c2s i've seen are just horrible. Not to mention I'm thinking of fics from ALL sites, not just FF. Especially with the recent deletions at FF, and the impossibility of getting characters added to their characters list (OFC, OMC, Daphne, Lavender, Fem!Blaise and Male!Blaise seperate, etc) I think it'd be prudent to include fics from all sites (including this one!)

6. Evil Shnitzel

Evil Shnitzel High Inquisitor

Thts nice and all but there is a DLP C2 already .
    Sooooo :wink:

7. david9

david9 Banned

C2s are only for FF aren't they? Which means you wouldn't see stories from all the other fic websites, and some people just refuse to post on FF(or they've been banned). Sooooo :wink:

8. SlytherinDamian

I suppose that'd work. I would suggest archiving the fics too (for the ff.net reason).

9. Evil Shnitzel

Evil Shnitzel High Inquisitor

For that purpose we have the HPrecycle bin.
    Credits to bornagainpenguin and IP82.

10. david9

david9 Banned

So you'd rather have only 2 people able to have say in the list rather than all of DLP being able to submit sites they've found on different sites around the web?

11. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

We are not archiving fics on RecycleBin. That group is only for the stories that were deleted/removed from FFN and other fanfic sites.

Both BornAgainPenguin (I assume) and myself are saving all the stories we read on our hard-drives. So, that could be called "archiving", though I don't see what that has to do with other people's choices and opinions... Do your own fucking work :).

If you meant archiving stories somewhere on net and making them available for download, than that's a big no-no. Most authors prefer for readers to read their stories on the sites they are posted on and leave a REVIEW afterwards... NOT download them from god knows where.

Yes, all the stories that are posted as "fan-fictions" are automatically giving up on all the copyright, which makes them public property, but it's kinda common courtesy to follow the author's wishes regarding spreading their stories... to a reasonable extent.

12. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

I thought we did something like that already:
    http://forums.darklordpotter.net/viewforum.php?f=47

Also here:
    http://forums.darklordpotter.net/index.php?c=2

--bornagainpenguin

13. david9

david9 Banned

Not talking about archiving them here and allow people to download them, just simple links like in the LJ thread I posted.

I was thinking of ALL fanfics, not just dark/independent/azkaban ones. I'm not talking fluff here, but there are plenty of good fics that fall in the middle.

14. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

We already do that. If you notice, we have other forums for less dark stories. I fail to see the point here.

15. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

... o_O

We made a c2 for DLP quite some time ago, currently it's got quite a few fics in there that we all like as the staff. Not to mention the whole site acts this way already.

Guys please do searches before you post if it seems like an obviously cool idea, it's probably been done already.