1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Rand/Lanfear (Wheel of Time)

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Methene, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Methene

Methene Auror

Following my latest obsession in fanfiction, I ask if any have found a story featuring Rand/Lanfear, preferably with Rand commanding Trollocs and Myddral in slaughtering Aiel and Edmonds Field.

The lighter variety is welcome as well, but I am in the mood for Dark!Rand or Independent!Rand. (to mirror our old tradition)

Dark-but-ligthsided!Rand can't really apply to the universe, but if you find one, it contains Rand/Lanfear and you recommend it to me you get a mountain named after you.

Reminiscing about old Dark!Harry times...

2. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Next time, how about you name the series you're after fanfiction for, hmm? There are people out there who haven't read Wheel of Time, y'know.

3. Methene

Methene Auror

You are perfectly right...

I have been retarded. I wonder if there is any way to change the title.

EDIT: Well I have tried, but failed... Sorry about that.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  4. Nocdia

Nocdia Sixth Year

Awesome books but little fan fiction to be found.

5. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    In all fairness to Methene, people who haven't read the series, are hardly likely to be in a position to recommend fics for it.

6. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Lanfear <3

7. Methene

Methene Auror

Yes she is. Thank you for fixing the thread title if you are the one responsible.

As to the lack of fanfiction regarding WoT I noticed. In all fairness however, I don't see it as a world that is particularly well suited to fanfiction. It is highly complex, with a huge mark for detail and very sharply cut lines of good and evil.

I don't know I may be wrong, but it doesn't seem so to me.

And yes, Lanfear is great. Who would pick that pale-haired milksop anyway? In both ages.

8. Nocdia

Nocdia Sixth Year

true words, also while were semi on the topic does anyone know when the last book is going to be released? I heard that his wife and another author were working on it.

9. Methene

Methene Auror

It's supposed to come out in Fall 2009. And the author is Brandon Sanderson.

10. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Don't think there are any like that in the fic. had a plot bunny once about if Logain Ablar had been the Dragon reborn, with Rand raised in the Waste. travels to the Blight and kills Slayer, but that was as far as it went.

question that just popped up: after losing his arm to Semirhage, why didnt he balefire her and get his arm back?

11. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I concur.

Because using Balefire is BAD and Cadsuane Melaidhrin has browbeaten him into not using it, lest she strike him about the head and shoulders and call him a woolheaded sheepherder.

Yeah... :rolleyes:

Personally, I'd have balefired the bitch in a heartbeat. "Fuck the Pattern, I want my arm back, you bitch! Blood and bloody ashes!"

12. Methene

Methene Auror

Definitively I would have done that as well. But from the author's standpoint, why would he have lost the arm only to get it back with balefire.

Also if I where Rand I would have accepted Lanfear's proposal, become Nae'bliss, get immortality, challenge the Dark One toghether with Lanfear using the Choedan Kal and destroy the Creator.

But that is just me...

And kill Cadusane too. She annoys me at times. Not with balefire since that would fuck things up considering how much the woman had done, but good old standard decapitation. Or open a gateway on her.

13. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Destroy the Creator? How would they manage that? Screw that, how could they even find him?

Killing Cadsuane, however, is a good idea. I suggest monofilament wire àla Asmodean.

14. Belgarion213

Belgarion213 Slug Club Member

Well its perfectly easy to kill the creator. They don't really need to DO anything other than use the power of the Sa'Angreal and just sit their with the power of gods. At that level they COULD challenge him, Maybe not win but well two people on that power level drawing that heavily on the One Power would be BOUND to draw the Creator's attention if he exists in a form other than 'pure creation'.

On the other hand you can turn around and give an argument why the Dragon has never killed the Dark One in all the infinite ages. How can a mortal challenge a, for all intents and purposes, formless being of pure malevolence?

PS My favorite WoT fic of all time is probably 'To the Void'. Now sure it included a LTT that loved Illenya but just the HISTORY of the Dragon/Dark One was pretty epic. If you ever get a chance check it out.

15. Datakim

Datakim Chief Warlock

Umm. The Creator supposedly made the entire WoT universe, which actually includes the One Power. There is no way anything Rand&Lanfear could do would come even close to being a threat. In all likelihood the Creator would not even notice.

Lanfear was just being her usual insane self when she claimed that the Choedan Kal could pose even the tiniest of threat to either the DO or the Creator.

16. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Was there even a reason for losing the arm? And also agreement on Cadusane, they should have fed her to the fucking Trollocs for brinner.

17. Methene

Methene Auror

Is to the Void found on FFN? If not could you provide a link please. The WoT universe is filled with moments such as these however. Nobody expected Saidin to be cleansed since the Dark One had infected it. Superior power and all that. But Choedan Kal cleansed Saidin. Those two were made to seal the Dark One's prison, equalling the Creators work since he made the prison in the first place.

Maybe they could, maybe they could not. I still adore the idea of Rand/Lanfear with Rand ruling instead of Yes, Cadsuane. No, Cadsuane. Aiel Maidens making sure he ate his breakfast and all that. Women have made Rand prisoner. It is time to strike back and Rand to affirm himself.

I like WoT, I like Robert Jordan's style and so on, I admire him for his work, but he had a strange fascination with powerful women. I would have understood that coming from Robin Hobb, but Jordan?

I don't know. Hashasheen (hard to spell) has a good point about the Trolloc pot.

"What's for dinner Honoured Elder?" said Hans, approaching the tribe's cook.
    "A gift from the Dragon Reborn, Hans," said the cook, stirring the gigantic pot, "succulent Aes Sedai meat, aged for near to 300 years, left to tender in its own sauces mixed with Blight herbs."

Hans' goat snout let drool fall in copious amounts...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  18. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

You can always have both. Cutting her apart only makes cooking easier and faster.

19. Methene

Methene Auror

I like how you think... Considering that my usual request did not meet with much success. Does anyone know any good WoT stories period? Does not have to be Rand/Lanfear, although my heart greatly desires it.

And does anyone have a link to "To the Void"? I have been unable to find it.

20. Datakim

Datakim Chief Warlock

Actually, I think there is a prophecy that says Rand will cleanse it. Or one that atleast suggests it. Something aboud Rand healing a wound of madness or somesuch.

Also CK alone was not sufficient to remove the taint. The taint was destroyed by combining with the evil of Shadar Logoth. The CK were only used to create a conduit to connect the two. From there the Taint flowed to SL more or less on its own.

A couple of problems with this.

a) There is a big difference between just repairing a tiny hole and creating something from scratch. And remember, the Creator made not just the prison, but everything. All of reality. Every planet, star and galaxy in the WoT universe is attributed to the Creator. If this is actually true (We obviously can't know for sure since RJ never said but lets assume it is for the moment since we have no reason to doubt it), then absolutely nothing the Choedan Kal could do would be any threat. Remember that the Creator made not just the One Power, but humans aswell, and he is the one that also gave the humans the ability to wield the OP. If he truly so desired, he could undoubtedly remove the ability from Rand&Lanfear in an instant, rendering the Choedan Kal worthless to them. He is literally portraid as a god.

b)Actually, the Choedan Kal were never intended to seal the prison. They were intended to drive the shadow back and then create a barrier around Shayol Ghul, giving the Aes Sedai more time to try and come up with a way to fix the bore itself.

Lews Therins plan to put a patch using the seals was the only plan that actually touched the DO's prison itself. The reason the female Aes Sedai did not want to use his plan was because there was a risk involved. Supposedly even a tiny mistake in the placing of the seals would have ripped the bore open entirely, releasing the DO in his full power. Which would obviously have destroyed the world. LTT only went with his plan when the CK access keys were lost and there was no longer any other choice.

In a nutshell. The indication I atleast have from the series is that while the CK are powerfull in human terms, in the terms of deities like the Creator and DO, they are little more than jokes. Potentially, the CK could be used to repair the bore or reinforce the seals, preventing the DO from touching the world, but they could not be used to kill him. And they sure as hell could not be used to even touch the creator (Or a DO that had been fully freed).

Ofcourse the Creator apparently does not interfere in the slightest with his creations so the point is mostly moot. If Rand wished to blow up the world with the CK, he would be free to do so. The creator can always create a new planet with new species afterall.

I so agree with you here. I hate so many of the female characters in WoT. Not all of them but the hypocritical bullies like Cadsuange and Egwene should be killed with fire. And Rand sucks for letting them walk all over him.

That being said however, I wonder where your fascination with Lanfear comes from? I mean is she any better? She is shown to be a crazy psychopath who only wanted LTT because being in a relationship with the most Powerfull man in the AoL brought her prestige. There are also several scenes where Lanfear claims the she "owned" LTT and how she intends to own and control Rand aswell.

I would argue that she is even worse than Cadsuane. Atleast as twisted and controlling as Cadsuane may be, we know that she intends to help Rand (Though I believe the way she is going about it makes things worse).
    Lanfear however just wants Rand to be his trophy man that she can possess and control. There are no romantic feelings involved, only twisted obsession.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008