PDA

View Full Version : [Abandoned] The Rise of the House of Rookwood by vlad the inhaler - T

Anya
11-21-2008, 08:29 AM
Title: The Rise of the House of Rookwood
Author:vlad the inhaler
Rating: T
Genre: General/Adventure
DLP Category: The Alternates
Pairing: None listed
Chapters: 2
Words: 9,247
Updated: November 20, 2008
Published: February 4, 2008
Summary: Augustus Rookwood, unspeakable and Death Eater, discovers the prophecy. How ironic, that Dumbledore and Voldemort should grant him a destiny even greater than their own.
Link: FF.net (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4054304/1/The_Rise_of_the_House_of_Rookwood)

Only two chapters so far. One of the more believable stories where Harry is raised by someone else.

I'm eagerly awaiting the next update. 4/5

Checked by Minion, January 5, 2013

Hashasheen
11-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Title: The Rise of the House of Rookwood
Author:vlad the inhaler
Rating: T
Genre: General/Adventure
DLP Category: The Alternates
Pairing: None listed
Summary: Augustus Rookwood, unspeakable and Death Eater, discovers the prophecy. How ironic, that Dumbledore and Voldemort should grant him a destiny even greater than their own.
Link: FF.net (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4054304/1/The_Rise_of_the_House_of_Rookwood)

Only two chapters so far. One of the more believable stories where Harry is raised by someone else.

I'm eagerly awaiting the next update. 4/5

Its on the Work by Author subforum, Anya

Anya
11-21-2008, 12:24 PM
Oh, my bad. I searched it and nothing came up. Sorry!

vlad
11-21-2008, 12:32 PM
I totally support this story going into the library. Maybe it should even be stickied at the fore? A sort of 'must read'...

Anya: Truly, I appreciate the sentiment. However, it is generally customary (though I don't think a hard and fast rule) to wait until the story has been significantly developed before submission into the library. While you and I know full well that this story is going to be nothing short of awesome, some of these other sorry fools tend to be a tad more skeptical.

Cathal
11-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Its on the Work by Author subforum, Anya
How does that stop her from submitting the story for review?

As for the fic, it's one of the better ones that came out lately. The writing is pretty good, so are the characterizations. The only thing that's bugging me is that constant feeling that I've read something similar so many times before.

Still, the potential is undeniably there.

ZeroTheDestroyer
11-21-2008, 02:14 PM
I approve 4/5.

Rare, if not original. But seriously the story looks like it just started, shouldn't we wait for it to go to at least get to a certain word count?

Considering that this is not a oneshot.

Lincos
11-21-2008, 03:25 PM
I totally support this story going into the library. Maybe it should even be stickied at the fore? A sort of 'must read'...

Anya: Truly, I appreciate the sentiment. However, it is generally customary (though I don't think a hard and fast rule) to wait until the story has been significantly developed before submission into the library. While you and I know full well that this story is going to be nothing short of awesome, some of these other sorry fools tend to be a tad more skeptical.

Apparently not anymore with all the shit 1-2 chaptered stories that have been getting posted.

Not read this one, seen it on PC but it doesn't intrest me so I aint going to rate it.

JoJo23
11-21-2008, 04:00 PM
Well written but I have little interest in smarmylittleracist!Harry so I probably won't be following.

Hashasheen
11-21-2008, 05:05 PM
How does that stop her from submitting the story for review?

it doesnt, but if she did like the fic, she gets first peek on the forum does she not?

lucifer
11-22-2008, 04:41 AM
I like how you named the house elf Bellatrix.

Andro
11-22-2008, 05:01 AM
I like it. The greatest strength is the quality of the writing, followed closely by a fairly descriptive account of pureblood upbringing. The broom-riding passage from chapter two was a well-done glimpse into Harry's childhood, although I hope you dispense with child!Harry sooner rather than later. The Harry-Augustus dynamic was handled well, Rookwood hardly seems the ideal father, which is more fun.

Augustus avoided an outright scowl, the years of freedom from Voldemort’s hissyfits mellowing his more reckless outbursts

Rofl. If Voldemort is to be a major villain, I wouldn't trivialize him.

4/5.

Anarual
12-03-2008, 04:43 PM
I love this Augustus Rockwood , Harry is just an 11 year old but it's a great start !

DreamRed
12-05-2008, 02:04 PM
I enjoyed this so far, but it's too early to really tell where you're going with it. A tentative 4/5 for the effort you put into actually making a pureblood upbringing more than having a posh accent, house elves and a disdain for mudbloods.

Sesc
12-05-2008, 06:30 PM
smarmylittleracist!Harry

That made me actually get off my ass and read it. I lol'd@ the House-Elf named Bellatrix. Someone had a grudge, yes? :D

Noticed a few mistakes in the first chapter -- what I remembered:

You are a Potter, and you are a Rookwood. and ...
(Either comma or capitalised)

“I wander…yes perhaps we’ll give it a try.”
("wander" --> "wonder"; and perhaps a comma after 'yes'?)

But yeah, nice start.

Still, I've gotta ask, Vlad ... what about For Want of a Wand? *looks hopefully*

Tinn Tam
12-30-2008, 08:31 AM
Leaving the thread in here for now, as there's not much to rate the story on.

meatzman2
01-24-2009, 03:45 PM
I tend to read the first chapter of a fic before consulting the reviews and considering I've enjoyed some of Vlad's stuff I though I'd have a gander at this one, turned out to be worth the effort. As has already been said quality of writing superb, and although some have cried "cliche" I didn't find it too overbearing at all.

Of special mention, Rookwood's inner monologue during the first chapter was a very good example of how to allow for thoughts whilst still indicating action, very smoothly written and also a good if not entirely original take on pureblood views.

Smarmyracistlittle Harry did irritate me a little, but I felt it appropriate, considering the measures Dumbledore would have undertaken to try to get back Rookwood would have been unable to to firmly control and mould Harry, something I think which Vlad hints to subtly.

The first chapter was excellent, the second less so but still good. Too early for a solid rating but if existing development continues a 4/5 seems within easy reach.

parselmaster
02-16-2009, 10:20 PM
Dang... Stories a bit too short for me to leave a real opinion yet. However, what I did see was alright. I actually was annoyed at how much Rookwood seemed to know and how he thought. His thoughts seemed a bit... childish and whimsy. More childish than whimsical.
In my opinion, not the best portrayal of a character. He seemed to think and act more like a 20-year old movie star actor than the pureblooded and proud servant of Lord Voldemort.
Sorry to say that Vlad.

Nefar
02-16-2009, 10:38 PM
The last line of Chapter 1 was a nice bit of characterization. The story itself is too short to vote right now, but my preliminary vote would be a 4. The writing's fairly good, the grammar is solid, and the story is interesting, but not gripping. I look forward to more.

Kensington
03-24-2009, 10:58 AM
For what has been published, this is a very well-written story. I think the biggest challenge for future chapters is to portray Harry as a unique character and not the second coming of Draco Malfoy.

I do like the detail you've put into the story. It's interesting, Rockwood comes off as a complete racist bastard, but an intelligent racist bastard with his insistence on tutoring. Looking forward to future chapters.

(Refraining from rating due to the brevity of the story for now. If I had to assign a number, I would lean towards a 4.)

Tidus86p
05-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Well I wouldn't say the author is trivializing Voldemort. In my opinion, humble as it may be, it just shows the little loyalty purebloods have towards him, marking him as more of a tool or a mean to their combined ends.

darklordmike
05-06-2009, 07:27 AM
I like what we've seen so far, vlad. I left you a review a couple months ago and I'd vote 4/5 at the moment. Any chance we'll be getting an update on this puppy in the near future?

magyareagle
06-16-2009, 04:15 AM
Good start, and had the potential for a 4/5, if not higher. However, given the fact that this has seemingly been abandoned, I sadly cannot rate it that high. Otherwise, good work. I wish there had been more.

vlad
06-16-2009, 03:56 PM
Thanks to all those who have reviewed thus far...

However, can I ask a mod to lock this? I'd like to say that this story isn't abandoned, but I'm not going to be updating it any time soon. Too much stuff in real life right now for any serious amount of writing. And given how many other way-past-due stories I have, this is at (almost) the very bottom of the pile.

So, sorry to those who reviewed and wanted an update, but it makes my soul cry a little every time I come into For Review and see this in here just languishing away. If the mods intend to keep this here because it's too short to put anywhere else but not bad enough to delete, then I think it's best for all concerned if it just rests at the very bottom of the page, out of sight and out of mind.