1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Rise of the House of Rookwood by vlad the inhaler - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Anya, Nov 21, 2008.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

Title: The Rise of the House of Rookwood
    Author:vlad the inhaler
    Rating: T
    Genre: General/Adventure
    DLP Category: The Alternates
    Pairing: None listed
    Chapters: 2
    Words: 9,247
    Updated: November 20, 2008
    Published: February 4, 2008

Summary: Augustus Rookwood, unspeakable and Death Eater, discovers the prophecy. How ironic, that Dumbledore and Voldemort should grant him a destiny even greater than their own.
    Link: FF.net

Only two chapters so far. One of the more believable stories where Harry is raised by someone else.

I'm eagerly awaiting the next update. 4/5

Checked by Minion, January 5, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013
  2. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Its on the Work by Author subforum, Anya

3. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

Oh, my bad. I searched it and nothing came up. Sorry!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  4. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I totally support this story going into the library. Maybe it should even be stickied at the fore? A sort of 'must read'...

Anya: Truly, I appreciate the sentiment. However, it is generally customary (though I don't think a hard and fast rule) to wait until the story has been significantly developed before submission into the library. While you and I know full well that this story is going to be nothing short of awesome, some of these other sorry fools tend to be a tad more skeptical.

5. Cathal

Cathal Sir Nils' Right Hand

How does that stop her from submitting the story for review?

As for the fic, it's one of the better ones that came out lately. The writing is pretty good, so are the characterizations. The only thing that's bugging me is that constant feeling that I've read something similar so many times before.

Still, the potential is undeniably there.

6. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

I approve 4/5.

Rare, if not original. But seriously the story looks like it just started, shouldn't we wait for it to go to at least get to a certain word count?

Considering that this is not a oneshot.

7. Lincos

Lincos Professor DLP Supporter

Apparently not anymore with all the shit 1-2 chaptered stories that have been getting posted.

Not read this one, seen it on PC but it doesn't intrest me so I aint going to rate it.

8. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

Well written but I have little interest in smarmylittleracist!Harry so I probably won't be following.

9. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

it doesnt, but if she did like the fic, she gets first peek on the forum does she not?

10. lucifer

lucifer Fourth Year

I like how you named the house elf Bellatrix.

11. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I like it. The greatest strength is the quality of the writing, followed closely by a fairly descriptive account of pureblood upbringing. The broom-riding passage from chapter two was a well-done glimpse into Harry's childhood, although I hope you dispense with child!Harry sooner rather than later. The Harry-Augustus dynamic was handled well, Rookwood hardly seems the ideal father, which is more fun.

Rofl. If Voldemort is to be a major villain, I wouldn't trivialize him.

4/5.

12. Anarual

Anarual Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I love this Augustus Rockwood , Harry is just an 11 year old but it's a great start !

13. DreamRed

DreamRed Seventh Year

I enjoyed this so far, but it's too early to really tell where you're going with it. A tentative 4/5 for the effort you put into actually making a pureblood upbringing more than having a posh accent, house elves and a disdain for mudbloods.

14. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

That made me actually get off my ass and read it. I lol'd@ the House-Elf named Bellatrix. Someone had a grudge, yes? :D

Noticed a few mistakes in the first chapter -- what I remembered:

(Either comma or capitalised)

("wander" --> "wonder"; and perhaps a comma after 'yes'?)

But yeah, nice start.

Still, I've gotta ask, Vlad ... what about For Want of a Wand? *looks hopefully*

15. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

Leaving the thread in here for now, as there's not much to rate the story on.

16. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

I tend to read the first chapter of a fic before consulting the reviews and considering I've enjoyed some of Vlad's stuff I though I'd have a gander at this one, turned out to be worth the effort. As has already been said quality of writing superb, and although some have cried "cliche" I didn't find it too overbearing at all.

Of special mention, Rookwood's inner monologue during the first chapter was a very good example of how to allow for thoughts whilst still indicating action, very smoothly written and also a good if not entirely original take on pureblood views.

Smarmyracistlittle Harry did irritate me a little, but I felt it appropriate, considering the measures Dumbledore would have undertaken to try to get back Rookwood would have been unable to to firmly control and mould Harry, something I think which Vlad hints to subtly.

The first chapter was excellent, the second less so but still good. Too early for a solid rating but if existing development continues a 4/5 seems within easy reach.

17. parselmaster

parselmaster Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Dang... Stories a bit too short for me to leave a real opinion yet. However, what I did see was alright. I actually was annoyed at how much Rookwood seemed to know and how he thought. His thoughts seemed a bit... childish and whimsy. More childish than whimsical.
    In my opinion, not the best portrayal of a character. He seemed to think and act more like a 20-year old movie star actor than the pureblooded and proud servant of Lord Voldemort.
    Sorry to say that Vlad.

18. Nefar

Nefar Seventh Year

The last line of Chapter 1 was a nice bit of characterization. The story itself is too short to vote right now, but my preliminary vote would be a 4. The writing's fairly good, the grammar is solid, and the story is interesting, but not gripping. I look forward to more.

19. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

For what has been published, this is a very well-written story. I think the biggest challenge for future chapters is to portray Harry as a unique character and not the second coming of Draco Malfoy.

I do like the detail you've put into the story. It's interesting, Rockwood comes off as a complete racist bastard, but an intelligent racist bastard with his insistence on tutoring. Looking forward to future chapters.

(Refraining from rating due to the brevity of the story for now. If I had to assign a number, I would lean towards a 4.)

20. Tidus86p

Tidus86p Second Year

Well I wouldn't say the author is trivializing Voldemort. In my opinion, humble as it may be, it just shows the little loyalty purebloods have towards him, marking him as more of a tool or a mean to their combined ends.

Not open for further replies.