1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Ghost and the Darkness by Kirsdarkenvar - T - Naruto

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by Aekiel, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: The Ghost and the Darkness
    Author: Kirsdarkenvar
    Category: WIP
    Genre: Drama/Horror
    Rating: T
    Chapters: 17
    Words: 114,781
    Updated: June 26, 2011
    Published: November 10, 2007
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3883902/1/
    Summary: Sasuke and Naruto become friends at a young age, but will Naruto's paranoia and mental instability draw Sasuke down into madness, or will Sasuke's own demons bring them both into the dark?

I know the summary sucks but this is definitely one of the best Naruto stories I've ever read. It's a good take on an insane Naruto, who may or may not be possessed by Kyuubi every so often. Sasuke is not a whiny emo cunt, nor is he the King of all Ninja. He's a fucked up kid who found a jinchuuriki to be his tool/friend and forces said jinchuuriki into being a shinobi.

That, and Naruto is quite funny with his obsessive compulsive cleaning.

4/5 - 5/5 because the going is pretty slow but the plot is interesting enough to cover it.

Checked: June 8, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2012
  2. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

-,- No link

3. Inferis

Inferis Second Year

I started reading this story when there were only two chapters and I really liked it. As Aekiel said, the author does a really good insane Naruto. I also found out an interesting tidbit of information when I clicked on Kirsdarkenvar's profile. Apparently she has three other accounts, two of which DLP has added her stories to the library: Enemy Mine and Dancing with Demons. All of her stories have a similar feeling to them. So chances are if you liked one, you will probably like the others too.

Anyway, I give this story a 4-4.5/5. The plot is slow at the moment, but it's still a very interesting and original read.

4. Illution

Illution Seventh Year

The characters are very interesting. The story was going in a great direction until the self insertion in chapter 7. The OC made the story fail, and I had a hard time believing that the author would do that to her story.

Where as the main characters had 7 chapters to define their characters, the OC was just suddenly introduced. Even that there is no character definition and the integration was poor and awkward.

Edit: ok I stopped reading. Don't get me wrong. The story is Extremely good up to chapter seven. definitely a solid 5/5. I just don't understand how the author who seemed decent could mess up to horribly. All that great buildup for just a sudden crappy self insertion.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  5. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

A self insertion that died a violent death. The author says the death was preplanned but had to rush it since so many people hated the character.

You should start reading it again.

6. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

7. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

You know what, I completely disagree with you. Naruto and Sasuke never interacted with their peers and so the introduction was bound to be a bit awkward. Also, I think she was much more interesting character than Naruto or Sasuke. They are both rather annoying in this fic. The whole fic is a rather tiresome read and she was a breath of fresh air.

8. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

I have... mixed opinions on this story.

The angst is nigh impossible to read sometimes, but it doesn't pop up much. What is there makes me want to gag. The ghost thing was a good idea done poorly.

The OC was bloody annoying, even in death, though I expect that that will pass with more chapters. The author is aware of this fact and has stated in her author's notes that she was surprised at how badly it turned out and will be doing her best to hurry past that part.

Otherwise... its a very odd story. I can't seem to pin down whether Sasuke and Naruto annoy the hell out of me (which they do, sometimes) or if I enjoy these two characters quite a bit.

What really gets me is how believable (fandom-wise) this story could be. No one forces Sasuke and crazy!Naruto into socializing/their nindo/whatever and they drag each other down in a blacking spiral? Yeah, I could totally see that.

Kyuubi is an almighty badass in here. xD Best character of the story, for sure.

I suspect, unlike 90% of other Naruto stories, the Wave Arc will actually help this one. Konoha is getting too... stale? Complicated? Something of both really.

9. parselmaster

parselmaster Sixth Year DLP Supporter

This story is quite entertaining. I have never seen Naruto's character done in this particular fashion. I usually am a stickler for details and was pleased to note that the characters in the story actually have different points of view, instead of distorted reworded accounts of the same point of view.

I was annoyed at the original character, though I trace that to the presentation of the character. The character at first looked like a self-insert, I despise those, no offense to those who write them. Later on the character instead looks to be a plot device to affirm Sasuke's idea of Naruto's bizarre ability to see and interact with the dead. I don't think this was planned all the way, but it turned out quite nicely. I look foreward to the wave arc, this will make or break this story for me.

10. Dareycow

Dareycow Fifth Year

I really like this story a lot, it is one of the better fan fictions out there for originality in Naruto's role. If you replace all the names of the Naruto cast with original names it would still be a good stand-alone read (if needing a little explaining).

Sure some parts aren't that crash hot, especially when the OC was introduced (Goth who loves writing; Self insert?). But giving it the benefit of the doubt due to past awesomeness I kept on reading. I'm glad I did. Even though the OC seems like an insert, the author moved past it real fast once it became apparent of the negative reaction from readers. I don't think it was that bad of an OC, very little screen time even when she was introduced, but I am happy the author killed her off.

I love the way Naruto is in control in this story but he manipulates others by subservience, not domination. It is a nice change from the rest of fan fiction where power=might, or if the main character is submissive they are actually submissive, not a manipulative child behind the scenes. A unique read.

To bad the update rate is shit house, having not being updated since May. From a quick glance it is updated about one chapter every one and a half months, considering there not that big of chapters its a let down. Still, if the story is good I can wait.

For the people worrying about slash I wouldn't worry to much.The author has stated there will be no slash. Still, slashness can leak in writing, however so far even though there is a lot of Naurto/Sasuke screen time, there is really no slashness leaking through. What the future holds though, who knows?

Although I would love to rate it 5/5, I'll dock it one for the whiny bitches out there who can't read past a chapter or two of having an OC. :D

4/5

11. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I...ugh.

I had no idea this has been here this long.

I just happened to read this yesterday, when I was scavenging for any decent Naruto fics. The summary was intresting, so I started to read.

And what an experience it was.

It's excellently written. The characters are believable. The interaction is real. It's a very unique spin.

The angst is all-encompassing and suffocatingly prevalent.

Seriously. Naruto's an absolute wimp, crybaby and horribly, horribly angsty. It could be insanity, in a sad and pathetic way, but it was just too much for me.

Yeah, I did finish the fic. It certainly left me with strong feelings and an even stronger impression. While I recommend you to try this story out, I personally won't keep a keen eye out for updates.

Oh, and I don't see the deal with the OC. She was far better than Sakura. Just... bland and in the background. And yes, the death was pretty incredibly done by the author.

3.5, rounded to 4/5 for rating purposes.

12. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I really liked this story and my only complaint is the fact that the OC was killed off to be replaced with Sakura. I liked her but at the same time I didn't mind her death, it was well written. What I did mind was the fact that they got Sakura and she annoys me to no end, in almost every story she's in.

4/5 for me

13. sincostan

sincostan High Inquisitor

This story is better than it sounds. I find myself rooting for Sasuke because Naruto's a little mindfucked. I also liked the OC and am surprised the author mentions that reviewers hated her that much. I hope he didn't kill her because of that, though it fits well with the story. Hoping to see much more 4/5.

14. Crazy Demon

Crazy Demon Squib

Story has been updated with chapter 15.