PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] Magical Relations by evansentranced - T

Xiph0
12-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Title: Magical Relations
Author: evansentranced
Rating: T
Genre: Humor, I guess. I'd say Humor/Adventure.
DLP Category: Humor.
Pairing: None.
Chapters: 57
Words: 205,583
Updated: January 27, 2013
Published: March 18, 2007
Summary: AU First Year onward: Harry's relatives were shocked when the Hogwarts letters came. Not because Harry got into Hogwarts. They had expected that. But Dudley, on the other hand....That had been a surprise. Currently in 3rd year.
Link: FF.nazi (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3446796/1/Magical_Relations)

Pretty damn good. Don't even read the summary, just go read it. Has kept me entertained for the afternoon. Was surprised it wasn't in the library yet. :)

Checked by Minion, February 23, 2013

KrzaQ
12-05-2008, 10:13 PM
I'd rather put it in General.
I certainly enjoyed reading this one. Writing style was proper, characters seem to reasonable and I really liked the idea of someone else being able to learn parseltongue.

Overall 4/5

Demons In The Night
12-05-2008, 10:22 PM
I'd rather put it in General.
I certainly enjoyed reading this one. Writing style was proper, characters seem to reasonable and I really liked the idea of someone else being able to learn parseltongue.

Overall 4/5It's been said before, but being able to learn parseltongue is lame as fuck.

The whole point of it is that it's a magical language and the only people who can speak it are Slytherin's descendants, meaning that it cannot be learned or imitated.

Harry was able to speak it because a portion of Voldemorts soul resided in him....but then again, IRCC, doesn't Ron open the locket by imitating parseltongue in DH?

Goddammit.

Ryuugi Shi
12-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Yes, Ron did.

Which was stupid as fuck.

As to the story, I'll get around to reading it later.

Sesc
12-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Harry was able to speak it because a portion of Voldemorts soul resided in him....but then again, IRCC, doesn't Ron open the locket by imitating parseltongue in DH?

Goddammit.

Yeah. But that doesn't make it less ass-fucking-lame. Only DH worse.

I stumbled over the story a few times, but always skipped it, because Magical!Dudley sounds about as great as Squib!Harry. But since it's now posted here, I might as well take look at it, although I'm already inclined to distract 0.5 from whatever my voting will be, just for that Parseltongue-thing.

Also, I hope Dudley stays in the background. Very much so.

Edit:
I just checked his profile out and he has a poll for the pairing.

I can't stand authors who do that. Go decide such things yourself, you twit. It's your goddamn story. About the only thing worse is writing two endings.

And I don't like Harry/Luna, either.

Scott
12-05-2008, 11:43 PM
4/5 right now, I seen this a couple time but I just skipped it =/ but it's good so far.

I just checked his profile out and he has a poll for the pairing, so I suggest if you don't want a slash pairing you better go and vote. So far Luna is winning but Draco is in second place.

psihary
12-06-2008, 05:17 AM
Well it is a nice story but my problem with it, before I even began reading, was the slash coming on the horizon. It'd be rather disappointing to read another good story which has kept your interest for a good 100k words but then makes you run screaming once HP starts dreaming about sucking off 'the noble Slytherin prince'...

Mind you, no matter what, none will be showing up until at least fourth year, and if it's slash, it may take longer

Well that gives another 20-30k words more, but then it'd still be a hard task going through them. Just thinking about reading a setting for Harry/Draco romance makes me... damn it here it goes my breakfast...

Memory King
12-06-2008, 10:20 AM
I'd rather put it in General

Seconded, but humorous aspects are certainly present here, the quote below is an excellent example.

“And countless Ravenclaws have been searching for it for centuries, it’s almost a tradition now…”
“That‘s really interesting, Anthony. What would you do if you starting hearing voices?”

Anthony gave him a look. “I‘d look around to see who was speaking, of course.”

Harry shook his head. “And what if no one was there?”

Anthony frowned. “There could be several reasons for that. It could be a ghost playing a trick on you. Peeves, probably. It could be someone in another room. The acoustics in some parts of the castle are very strange, did you know?” He thought some more. “It could even just be that you haven‘t looked hard enough for the person who is speaking to you.”

“What if…“ Harry swallowed. “What if no one else can hear the voices?”

Anthony considered him for a moment. “Voice, or voices?”

Harry thought about it. “It‘s happened a few times, but I think it‘s only one voice.”

“There are several explanations possible in that case as well.” Anthony said, nodding. “It could be someone speaking to you inside your head. There are ways of doing that, you know. They could be using a charm to only let you hear them. For all you know, it could just be a language that the people with you didn‘t understand. For a person who didn‘t understand Mermish, for example, someone speaking it sounds like they‘re shrieking. But if you do understand it, then it‘s just another voice to you.”

Harry sighed. He wasn’t going crazy after all.

“Or,” Anthony said, opening the book he’d been holding when Harry approached him earlier. “You could just have a mild case of schizophrenia.”

Anyhow, I'd probably give this one a 4. If you can get past Redeemed!Dursley males, and Draco and Snape being portrayed in a decent light, you will almost assuredly be entertained.

deathinapinkboa
12-06-2008, 11:32 AM
It is an entertaining little read. I feel that it is just a little to good to be put in the bin, though it could be a lot better. I like what happens with Petunia.

4/5

Oz
12-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Been following this one a while. Definitely a 4/5 from me.
And I don't like Harry/Luna, either.
Dirty blasphemer.

Blaise
12-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Definitely a good story; almost how I'd expect the series to progress if Harry had been Sorted into Slytherin, and he did pay a bit more attention to his studies and surroundings. Dudley being a wizard wasn't all that bothersome - I think it just sped up the process of diminishing his douchebaggery that we got a hint of in DH.

The ability to learn parseltongue is canon (lame as it may seem),as is the idea of millenia-old magic being trumped or expanded on (Horcruxes, Moody's Eye and the Invisibility Cloak, etc.), so Anthony finding a way to learn wasn't as bothersome either. Characterization is humorous and true-to-canon, managing to highlight each of their weaknesses without becoming a bash-fic. I couldn't stop reading it once I started.

The poll and the pandering authors notes piss me off, but those are pet peeves, and haven't yet diminished the overall quality of the story. 4/5

tywyll fiach
12-06-2008, 01:38 PM
3/5 It's good, but it's nothing really great. It just seems to lack that kind of touch of brilliance. However, the rating may drop substantially if it turns out to be slash.

Grammatically, I didn't catch anything really glaring.

kmfrank
12-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Just spent a few hours perusing this, and it was pretty good. Nothing terribly creative or new, but still good just the same.

I also enjoyed what he did with Petunia. And Dudley is definitely staying in the background, mostly serving just to make sure that Harry doesn't hate his life at Privet Drive quite as much.

4/5

Xiph0
12-06-2008, 02:05 PM
I actually forgot learning parseltongue was canon. XD

kmfrank
12-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I think Dumbledore was reputed to know it (why he couldn't hear the basilisk in CoS, who f'in knows), and Ron "fakes" it (one of the most, "Are you shitting me?" moments of canon) once or something.

Oz
12-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Ron faked it at the end of Deathly Hallows to recover a Horcrux (not sure which one) from the Chamber of Secrets whilst Harry was otherwise occupied.

ZeroTheDestroyer
12-06-2008, 03:17 PM
JKR was pulling shit out of her ass in DH, making Ron use parseltongue was just pure bullshit and does not flow with the story at all.

Blaise
12-06-2008, 04:16 PM
No, it's really not bullshit.

If a humanoid can speak it, it can be learned - heredity only designates whether or not there's a learning curve. Troll, mermish, giant, Gobbledegook, and the bunch of other languages it was implied that Crouch,Sr., could speak, he wasn't born knowing. Languages, like many of the other things we nitpick about, weren't that essential to the plot of the story, but there was nothing saying that it couldn't be learned.

Can I speak French? No. But I can say hello, call someone a bitch, and invite women to sleep with me - the essentials, really. The point is, there's no reason to think that Ron couldn't mimick the word "open". While he won't be hissing erotic poetry into the ear of She-With-Vagina-Hair, I think we can all get over Ron learning how to say one fucking word.

Red Aviary
12-06-2008, 04:59 PM
But snakes don't have lips or tongues like us. Merpeople, trolls and goblins do. That's my issue with it. I don't mind anyone being able to understand it, but only the Slytherins and Harry should be able to speak it.

Innomine
12-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Well, i'm half way through.

Either the first quarter was more funny than the second, or I find it far more funny while stoned.

Interesting to read a story where the Dursleys aren't too bad. First one i've actually read in that regard. Slytherin!Harry is cool.

I fucking hate authors that do Polls for ships though, i'd never do something like that, write the story how you want to, fuck reader involvement. ><

Edit: May I was wrong.

“So I told him that you and I get along pretty well, and he looked happy. He offered me a lemon drop and told me that blood should stick together. Then he mentioned his brother and something about goats…”

They all contemplated this for a moment.

“…did he say anything else?” Blaise asked finally.

LOL

Merrill II
12-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Snakes speak through vibrations, I believe. So I would argue that Harry bypasses the necessary vibrations through a magical gift - because it's a trait he was gifted with. Sort of like people who are good at Charms or Transfiguration innately, he has an ability that you can't just learn through two meetings with a parseltongue. Lily was good at charms and James was good at transfiguration; Lily would have to try at transfiguration whereas James could slack off and vice versa for Charms.

But this bypasses the argument entirely - Rowling is under the delusion in her own world that it is not a magical gift but instead an actual physical ability that any person can replicate (ala the aforementioned cursewords/greetings learning curve) with a few minutes spent in non-magic related practice. I think it undercuts the Voldemort connection, for one; it was not imparted onto him through Voldemort actually teaching him or planting knowledge of speaking it into his mind. Instead, it speaks of something innately etched into the very soul of Voldemort; not his knowledge or his beliefs but something that is irrevocably tied to his being through blood and soul.

Add into that that Harry must actually concentrate on snakes before he can begin speaking and it only leads me to believe more strongly that it is in fact a magical gift - not just a Star Wars-esque massacring of how our non-legged J-sliding scaly friends work in the name of good storytelling (which it wouldn't be regardless).

Now - can someone perhaps learn it through transfiguring ones voice or masking it through magic? Sure why not. But I sort of just shake my head at the idea that Ron can waltz up to a door and speak open and have it work. As also previously mentioned, out of book, Rowling says Dumbledore can speak Parseltongue - and it's shown to some extent in HBP that he understands what's going on in the Gaunt House - but this requires another retcon. Dumbledore would have heard it in Chamber of Secrets.

So Rowling is pulling it out of her ass and Parseltongue is a magical ability passed on by blood and can be apart of your very soul.

Otherwise, it doesn't make sense. Then again, she had snakes blink in SS/PS.

ParseltonguePhoenix
12-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Alright, I'd seen this one several times while trolling ff.net but including Dudley scared me off a little until I saw some favorable reviews for it tonight. I was pretty pleasantly surprised.

The few errors I saw were easy to overlook and didn't take anything away from the story. I like some changes, like Harry being more studious and the Dursleys not being total pricks and whatnot (barring Petunia). The little of Lupin I've seen so far in this fic may actually be my favorite portrayal of him. There really aren't many downsides to this one at all.

Except for the big one. It's been almost exactly 4 months (minus a week) since it was updated. Maybe the author will get her shit together, and we'll have more to read soon. The story could be a 4/5 upon completion, but I'm knocking it down to 3/5 for likely being abandoned.

psihary
12-07-2008, 06:09 AM
Although I should agree with most - it is a well written fic, I simply couldn't get into it.

Changing the Dursleys' behavior, showing that Slytherins are normal kids totally unaffected by the way they've been rised and taught (purebloods, traditionalists, the day Malfoy stays in the company of Granger is the day HP takes down the path of becoming fag and takes a liking to Snape)... It all sums up to creating a character of another normal boy, not a hero.

All the ordeals Harry goes through in his years at Hogwarts and life at Number 4, build up to his character. Making a person burn to death with his own hands before the age of 12, having to make a decision which might just cost a girl's life while under the pressure of the danger for his own, again at the tender age of around 13... Take all that away and you've got... well nothing special, just an ordinary boy going through his years at a magical school...

I have two more chapters to read but I doubt that anything would happen to change my mind and view of the fic.

... and on the Parseltongue topic - it is a magic ability not an effing language... you can go swimming in the sea and try to reproduce the dolphin's signals and sounds they make... observe the reactions and eventually imitate some parts but not actually try to figure out which 'eep' is their "word" for food and then write down a dictionary and learn it. So while Ron might have imitated it (cough bollocks... cough cough) it would be next to impossible to teach it by any conventual means...

3.5/5 - score based on how much I liked to story rather than the technical implementation...

Breed
12-07-2008, 01:55 PM
As previously mentioned, JK said Dumbledore could speak it. It kinds messes up Book 2 though, surely?

Blaise
12-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Snakes speak through vibrations, I believe. So I would argue that Harry bypasses the necessary vibrations through a magical gift - because it's a trait he was gifted with. Sort of like people who are good at Charms or Transfiguration innately, he has an ability that you can't just learn through two meetings with a parseltongue. Lily was good at charms and James was good at transfiguration; Lily would have to try at transfiguration whereas James could slack off and vice versa for Charms.

But this bypasses the argument entirely - Rowling is under the delusion in her own world that it is not a magical gift but instead an actual physical ability that any person can replicate (ala the aforementioned cursewords/greetings learning curve) with a few minutes spent in non-magic related practice. I think it undercuts the Voldemort connection, for one; it was not imparted onto him through Voldemort actually teaching him or planting knowledge of speaking it into his mind. Instead, it speaks of something innately etched into the very soul of Voldemort; not his knowledge or his beliefs but something that is irrevocably tied to his being through blood and soul. I agree with this, and I don't think it was undercut by Ron's ability to mimic the language well enough to open the Chamber.

When I speak German, I don't say the English "What's up" and expect the German "Was gibt's" to come out of my mouth just because I'm speaking to a German, or focused on the German language. Relating that to parseltongue, I think the hereditary "gift" is the ability to not actually hear parseltongue the way a non-speaker does; that is, when a parselmouth speaks the language, they hear their native language, and not the hissing a non-speaker would hear. This inherited ability doesn't prevent non-parselmouths from learning the language.

I dunno...a relatively simplistic way of understanding it would be to think of it as the difference between having a British accent from being born in England, versus an American actor imitating a British accent.

/thread derail

Vengashii
12-07-2008, 07:22 PM
The only gripe I had with the story is that they never went to the teachers for the Basilisk, which was extremely retarded.

"Hey, there's a giant man eating snake running loose in the school! Let's not tell the trained expert professionals who can deal with this kind of shit!"

fash
12-07-2008, 11:37 PM
The story is well written but I really couldnt get into it at all. I guess I just dont like the way the characters are written.

3/5

Scott
06-28-2009, 11:11 PM
Just been confirmed by the author that she is not going to go with a slash pairing :)

sincostan
06-29-2009, 12:41 AM
The story's boring me the past two or three chapters.

Shelly_gurl88
07-12-2009, 03:13 AM
Hey! I just wanted to say that I checked this story out and started reading it. Sounds very interesting. It'll take me a while to get used to third POV's. I usually read Twilight fanfics. I just decided to branch out and read other fanfics. Besides, I do like the Harry Potter series. I had the first three books before.

Anyhow, my point is that I believe I'll enjoy this fanfic.

Innomine
07-12-2009, 05:11 AM
inb4ban
thatisall

Apart from the fact that I actually enjoyed this fic. But I think i've already mentioned that back a bit. Either way, I recently picked it up again. I hadn't read the last 15 or so chapters, and they definitely didn't get any worse.

This fic isn't anything special at all, its just a highly readable rehash of canon events, with a few major changes such as Harry being in Slytherin, and friends with Draco. I have no issues with either of those points, and the whole light hearted tone is nice to read.

Will keep following it, even though it will highly likely end up abandoned.

Banner
08-20-2009, 09:58 PM
5/5
Intelligent, creative, *sane* retelling of the books. Evansentranced has turned canon on its ear, and made a story that a grownup can love.

Rhys
09-29-2009, 07:37 PM
It's pleasant enough, but nothing much happens. The whole redeemed!Dursley angle is novel, but the story lacks either overpowered!Harry lolzyness or death!defying!Harry action. He just sort of lives his life and solves his problems. I finished the first two years last night before the story put me to sleep (it isn't bad for that).

3/5

CheddarTrek
09-30-2011, 02:51 AM
I've just gotten to Chapter 21 of this and thought I'd pop over and post that it's still worth the read -- older story or not. I'd rate it at either a 3.5/5 or a 4/5.

The premise is that it's an AU where the differentiating factor was Dudley getting a Hogwarts letter as well. Vernon supports his son while Petunia continues to hate magic. Dudley slowly starts to improve his attitude during their first year, to the point that he and Harry are friendly by the end of it.

It does somewhat follow canon, in that the events with the Stone and Basilisk are there, but it changes things up enough to keep it interesting. Oddly I find myself mostly looking forward to the bits with Vernon, as they tend to be both well done and very new (since Vernon is almost never portrayed positively). Filch is also done in a more positive light, though his role and Vernon's are both minor.

It's probably a bit to tame/standard for some, but as a canon-rehash with a few changes it does well enough. I do wish the writing were more engaging, but given that I'm only about halfway through I think it might be slowly improving with time. It just feels like... everyone is going through the motions -- the author isn't good at creating suspense or a captivating storyline, but technically it seems fairly sound.

It's also still being updated, which is a plus.

Edit: Finished all the current chapters (around 40) and I hold by what I said. It's pretty good and worth a read, though it's a bit bland in some areas. 3.5 rounded up to 4/5.