1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Wizard to Magical Creature Relations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LINKed up, Feb 20, 2006.

1. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    Now, in canon, most wizards seem to have no respect for magical creatures, with some execptions like Hagrid, Harry, and maybe Dumbledore. Hermione with her S.P.E.W. shit I don't count as respect because she wasn't respecting the wishes of the House Elfs. With Goblins, I really don't understand why everyone dislikes them. Sure, they look weird, but thats no reason to dislike them. It could be because of the Rebelions, but whatever. In fanon, I've seen the cliche that when Harry recognizes a Goblin or shows one respect, the Goblins nearly have a heart attack. That I find is very unrealistic, as there are probably some wizards out there that respect Goblins, or I could just have wishful thinking. As for "Dark Creatures", each was probably created for a certain purpose, such as Dementors for executions, and got out of control, or they were made by some ritual gone wrong/right. The "Dark Creatures" such as Vampires might act like they do because of misconceptions and such. There is this one fic by ZyberElthone, who is an suthor that I find okay, that is called "Harry Potter and the Power of the Eclipse" that has a reason for each "Dark Creature". As for reading that fic, it actually has a reasonable H/G, one that doesn't invovle Hero-worship or stalking. Anyways, what are your thoughts on the topic?

2. fatal

fatal Backtraced

I think that fiction with Harry forming an unbreakable bond with a goblin are a little wierd. Also it is probably another comparison to the egotism shown in the wizarding world. Dumbledore obviousl has to like magical creatures cos in the books he is protrayed as almost the perfect semblence of morality and justice. Although I agree that the majority of magical creatures were original purposemade, vampire i hope had more exciting origins than bloodletting or something!

3. LINKed up

Population control, perhaps? Or maybe being the protectors of some form of magic/magical artifact.

4. fatal

fatal Backtraced

I like that idea, basically vampires are a better version of humans. They don't depend on food (although blood), they are faster, quicker healers, telepathic (depends) etcetc I think it was more likely that they were created for a certain purpose such as guarding an artifact, long term war fare, something like that!

5. LINKed up

But, as always, there is a downside to upgrades. Bugs galore. Vampires are alergic to sunlight and holy water.

6. fatal

fatal Backtraced

and little stakes through the heart. Although i do like the theory that as they age Vampires build as resistance to sunlight.

Im just a big vampire whore! :p

7. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

Why are vampires alergic to holy water?

8. LINKed up

Well, in reality, do you no where the stakes, garlic, and sunlight things came from? Stake because that kept the Vampire in its coffin, garlic because the hunters were opening graves, so it would smell, and sunlight because the acts by the Vampires only happened at night.

9. fatal

fatal Backtraced

yeh i know that. I just like to deviate a little.

10. LINKed up

I happen to think that Vampires are cool as well, but I like Lycans better.

11. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I never liked the whole "Goblins are solid, great defensive creatures"

What the hell? There like.. 3-4 feet tall and look knarled.

12. LINKed up

Well, I think that it is the type of magic that the Goblins use, rather than their physical build.

13. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Rofl.

There magic is good for defense... well, thats how most people write it as. Good at wards, shields, ect. Probably because the bank is the 'safest place in the world' apart from Hogwarts... and Hogwarts is NOT safe, lol.

14. LINKed up

Well, if you like manipulative!Dumbles, then all of the shit that happend at Hogwarts during Harry's school time. But really, the only time that Gringotts was broken into was in Harry's first year, and thats probably because no one ever tried before hand, probably because of the warning at the front of the bank.

15. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

I do get a little fed up with all the goblins looking at Harry in awe when he remembers their names/speaks to them respectfully/acts like a friend etc. I just don’t think it’s within their nature.

MHO the Goblins are pricks towards magical folks because magical folk are snotty and demeaning to them. Tit for tat so to speak. So if Harry is polite to them then I think they would be polite in return and not fawning.

The view of the magical people in all the books is that they are the better being, because they can do magic and the other magical creatures are there only to serve them. Pretty much the same way they feel about muggles. Strange, you would think with the influx of muggleborn over the years that attitude would change… but then again as good as some of her books are JKR is no Tolkein.

16. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    I'm working on the assumption that the wizarding world is collectively ignorant, naive and incompetent. It's one main competence like rest of humanity is the ability to successfully wage genocidal wars against those they don't know/fear.

Weee...guess what this lead to? Mwhahhaha :twisted:

But seriously, it seems like most of the non-human magical races get stepped all over even in stories that presume to have them as the good guys. I feel kind of sad for them...