1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Catharsis by Nuhuh - R

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Innomine, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: Catharsis
    Author: Nuhuh
    Rating: R
    Genre: Action/Adventure / Timetravel
    DLP Category: Time Travel
    Pairing: None as of yet. And I like it that way.
    Chapters: 14 (ff.net)
    Chapters: 12 (PC)
    Words: 99,120 (ff.net)
    Words: 89,642 (PC)
    Updated: December 31, 2010
    Published: June 24, 2008

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4347702/1/Catharsis
    Link: http://www.patronuscharm.net/s/144/1/

Summary: Post DH. Harry never knew how badly the words he had said to his son Albus-Severus at King's Cross would come back to haunt him. He couldn't have known how his son would become the herald of the new darkness and come to be known as the Dark Son. After having to annihilate his own child who killed his whole family but his father, Harry chooses not to pick up the pieces and go on, but goes back in time to set everything straight and find out why his son went
    dark.

Imagine, I was just browsing around on DLP, and absolutely could NOT find this in either the 'For Review' or the Library. The shock and horror! Even if this obviously in the WBA, it should still be in the library for pure epic win.

Have I done enough drooling for a post in here? :p

Seriously though, epic work Nuhuh, I want a sequel to this, almost as much, if not the same amount as I want Shezza to update her fic. (again)

If I somehow missed this already being in the library... feel free to call me lots of mean names and such, even though you do not need my permision.

Checked by Minion, January 11, 2013
    Added ff.net link

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2013
  2. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

Epic story.

Only thing that bothers me a little, is that the story ended too soon; the first part anyway. Biance-Harry's relationship didn't evolve enough, and you throw them back in time together...

5/5 anyway.

3. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I think it was most original cliched story I've read.

Writing is good, even if a bit confusing sometimes. Harry has all attributes I seek - he isn't a crybaby with no skill, he has a plan and has no qualms about killing enemies. Fights, especially last one, are nothing short of epic.

Author made lots of changes in the HP universe, and even when I know it's an alternate one, it still bothers me a bit. Sirius as TR's second in command, Dumbledore not believing even in first chances, nevermind seconds, empathic Narcissa, sister & aunt Potter, Dumbledore's ability to command time and space (if AD was able to do that, he'd remove TR long ago) and I'm pretty sure there are some I haven't listed.

I rate it 4.5/5, rounded to 5, because I'm not really comfortable with amount of changes author made in HPverse.

4. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'll give this one a "Nuhuh+4"/"Nuhuh+16". Of course, regardless of what I think, I'll probably vote something - just in time for Shezza to update "her" multitudinous story. What a gal, that one! Still, it's a good story - certainly worthy of "library" inclusion.

-J

5. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    I just wonder if this was written by habit or you really did read/see that story as a "cliched" one?

As for a review, it was said over and over again, great story easily deserving above 4 but with its final chapter it went quite close to 5.1/5. And most important, nuhuh said, there is book 2 coming...

6. Synchro

Synchro High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Whether the story is "originally cliche" or not it is still cliche. The reason why it is so enjoyable is that nuhuh stated at the beginning that this is going to be cliched. Of course, having said that he would go on and create the mother of all cliche stories...

7. J22

J22 Seventh Year

Very good. Ending felt too abrupt but I don't think there's a better way to go about it without the whole fic dragging on. Definitely looking forward to more. 5/5

8. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

This story is a good example of why cliche's are so popular. When spun well, they're very entertaining and cool. When they're used in a subpar/average plot, then they get tiresome. The problem is that everybody thinks they can do cliches well, when they can't.

Except nuhuh.

9. Knox

Knox The Last Remnant DLP Supporter

At the crossroad where the demon lies. Waiting to
    GAIZ D: How could you like this piece of fail?! OO_OO

Just kidding N, You gets a solid 7/5 from me ;)

10. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Would help if the link went to page one instead of eleven >_>.

Still, it's a brilliant fic and definitely deserves the title of 'most original cliché fic'. 5/5 from me, as per usual.

11. Synchro

Synchro High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Can you even actually be originally cliché? Isn't that an oxymoron?

12. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I'd guess you haven't read the fic yet. Nuhuh breaks the rules in this.

13. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

The phrase we're all looking for is a "'cliché' well employed." Time travel & sister/boy-who-lived aren't cliché any more than damsel-in-distress or antiheroes are. They are themes and plot devices, whose success depends on the author. The problem is that considering that most fan fiction is written by people who aren't terribly skilled at writing, we see those themes and plot devices employed over and over - to massive failure. Nuhuh used them well here - and actually finished a story. ;)

4.25/5 for me. Ending, to me, felt overly abrupt but somehow enjoyable all the same. I also had some reservations about the story in general, but it kept my attention and deserves a place in the Time Travel category. A cliffhanger of an ending, but that makes sense considering a sequel is supposed to be in the works. I'd like to see how Harry handles a Goblin Rebellion...* Get to work, Nuhuh! :)

*On that note, I'd love to see a good crossover between Bernard Cromwell's Grail Quest series and Harry Potter. I don't know why. The image of Harry slinging spells in the midst of a chaotic battle between the Scottish and English at Durham, arrows flying everywhere just resonates with me I guess. I'd settle for any decent "Harry goes back to medieval times" story. Maybe I should write one myself...

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  14. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Let me just say that Fat Todd the dementor is HILARIOUS.

He's even better than Bob/
    Dudley
    from Nonjon's fic.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  15. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

We have spoiler tags. Just
    and the closing tag. Fat Todd was funny though. I'd thought I'd seen everything until I read about a sex-crazed Dementor...

16. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

N always says this, just like Sheeza keeps denying that she is a chick.;) :p

17. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

Fat Todd is my fucking hero.

Ten million/5 for this story. It should be stickied at the top of the library.

18. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Link to the first chapter next time, Elli. :p

19. Lokesin

Lokesin Slug Club Member

Um, yo. That's a link to the last chapter, and that seriously was NOT cool.

EDIT: I'm slow, apparently. Or i had an old window up for this..

20. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Surely all wizards have command over time and space? Expansion charms, spells like Impedimenta, time-turners, and so on.