1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Soldier Son trilogy

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by JohnThePyro, Dec 29, 2008.

1. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

2. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

The first book was excellent, the second good. I got bored to death halfway through book 3, when it started to look like the end would set a new standard for crappy deus ex machina. There was no way she could wrap it up decently in the 200-ish pages I had left.

Plus, despite being a Farseer fanboy, even I have my limits when it comes to victimizing your hero.

3. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

I read the first book and then immediately went out and bought the next two, complete waste of money, I found myself skipping whole pages of the second book and the same again with the third and I eventually decided not to even bother finishing it.

Although I do agree with FWH that the Farseer trilogy was excellent, the first book of the Soldier Son trilogy is good, the second tolerable, the third poor.
    Not worth the money to buy the other two books in my opinion.

4. Nocdia

Nocdia Sixth Year

The first book was an enjoyable read but I found the second book to completely lose all that was keeping me interested.

5. Fireblade5

Fireblade5 First Year

Having read the first book I throught it was brilliant, therefore I sought out the other two. The second book was alright but after reading a few pages of book 3 I immediately lost interest.

I thought it was rather absurd that a god was unable to claim the life of a bird(?), because Nevare saved it; surely a god would be prepared for such things...or Nevare may have been hallucinating, not really sure.

6. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

I read the two first books. I liked more the settings of the story, the universe, a few original ideas, but I didn't empathize much with the characters. As the third book wasn't out at the time I was reading them (especially here in Belgium), a year has passed since when I finally got my hands on an ebook version of the third book... after maybe ten pages I couldn't find interest in the story anymore.

The Farseer trilogy, Liveship Traders trilogy and the Fool's Quest trilogy are awesome though.