1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter Dr who crossover ?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Argentum, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Argentum

Argentum First Year

Okay I realise my last reccomendation of a story doesn't do me any favours however I'd like to get some feedback on the idea of a HP-Dr Who crossover.
    There are (so far ) three ways I have considered incorporating Dr Who into HP:
    1. The Doctor does his usual "I don't know how we wound up here" thing and winds up in the middle of the final battle between Harry and Voldemort, which Harry loses but is (conveniently) rescued by the Doctor and by the resultant 'messing up' of the TARDIS by Harry's magic catapaults harry back through time into his younger self.

2. (Third Year) Harry leaves the duresly's after blowing aunt marge up; only to run into the Doctor when he attempts to summon the Knight Bus except the Doctors tardis was drawn to Harry's accidental magic. (Thats all I have for the moment on this one)

3. The real reason Harry survived the Killing curse is not due to his mothers sacrifice but because he is a time lord and (insert complex clever sounding magical theory) of the A.K it targets the heart and becuase Time Lord's have two hearts it killed only one (or spread it'self between the two and was weakened).

Flame the idea if you like I want to know if any of these are worth pursuing or if I should abandon all hope at life and throw the whole potential genre over the cliff.

2. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    This:

The Doctor's Apprentice

Does it a little differently. It has potential - but not much. I liked the brief explanation about why magical people exist, and how the Doctor knows about them. It was a redeeming feature.

It's not a bad idea, Argentum, it's just never really been done all that well. The Doctor is, for all intents and purposes, a god - the Lord of Time and Space - and also practically immortal. What does Harry say to that? Or, perhaps, Voldemort?

There's a sketchy plot... Voldemort - or Harry - steal a Time Lord's lives, and regenrate each time one of them kills the other. It could lead to a war stretching on for centuries, with Harry and Voldemort always the leaders of the opposing forces, always immortal, and always fighting.

Hmm... maybe not.

3. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A far more interesting idea would be if, as in Family of Blood and Human Nature, Harry was a Time Lord, or The Doctor, who's assumed the guise of a human (wizard); an instability within the TARDIS creating him a timeline for his disguise. That of Harry Potter.

As in Family of Blood and Human Nature, he'd have no idea what he really was and would have had to assign a person to ensure he'd restore himself at an appropriate time. Likewise, he'd need a reason to become human in the first place. For example, perhaps, the possibility that when regenerating he'd taken the form of a child and wanted to age his body.

Yeah, I've not over thought this at all.

4. Argentum

Argentum First Year

Ahh food for thought there perhaps the boy who opened the pocket watch in 'The Family of Blood' was Harry? Hmm it'd need alot of playing with.
    I'll start writing a few prologue tyype thigns and post them somewhere for review.

Ohh and Joe thanks for the Link intresting read.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  5. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

I'm thinking Harry's Grandfather or Great Grandfather from his mother's side, since it was before the Great War. Perhaps the Doctor left him something in case of needed assistance, and Harry finds it while going through his mother's things?

6. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

Just no.

Harry Potter- decent fantasy world.

Doctor Who- epic sci-fi world.

They can't mix. You might be able to take some concepts from each other, like the Harry/Voldemort regeneration thingy, but you'll never get a decent crossover fic that won't suck like hell.

If you think you can then give us your best shot.

7. lulu42

lulu42 Second Year

I would love to read this. I would desperately like to write this crossover as my next story.
    Unfortunately, I only started watching the series last July, and would fail epically if I did.
    Making Harry a Time Lord or anything similar is a convenient plot setup that pretty much ensures that it would suck. As it was pointed out, The Doctor is pretty much a god. It renders Voldemort a useless character.

The only thing I could think of is The Doctor meeting Harry and having it deal with issues of morality. Maybe it's post-Voldemort, maybe it's not, but Harry could be on the brink of turning into a darker person, and it would be up to the Doctor to bring him back to his senses.

8. enembee

High Score:
    He tried and failed.

9. Argentum

Argentum First Year

True but I am a persistent blighter at times and I'm going to at least post on FFN a prologue come challenge for anyone else who wants to have a go and perhaps just maybe they could make use of what I've done.

It'll probably come to nothing, but at the worst all that will happen is I'll learn something about writing fanfiction and writing in general.

10. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

The three ways you presented all suck. In all of them, the relationship between the Doctor to Harry would be like the relationship between an intrested/amused god to an awe-struck puppy. Those ways are most probably fail.

Similarly, making a semi-accomplished Harry meet the Doctor and be his superior is fail. The Doctor beats physically stronger opponents all the time, magic shouldn't be an exception.

The best possible way I can see is to make them more or less equal. For that, Harry has to be immortal, in my opinion.

It seems that in your plot the Doctor is merely a plot-device to making Harry and Voldemort immortal. While an eternal fight sounds interesting, done this way the crossover is unneeded. You can however, make Harry immortal, have an eternal fight and have the Doctor break it up. Anyway, killing the Doctor doesn't isn't a good idea, story-wise.

I disagree. If the Loch Ness is real (as mentioned in season two, iirc) magic can be real too. Also, there are Vampires(-like) and Werewolfs in the Doctor Who world.

I wanted to write a Doctor Who/HP crossover for quite some time, but I'm afraid my English skills will ruin a good idea. I'll defenitely read a decent cross between the two.

11. carvell

carvell Professor DLP Supporter

Do remember that there are over 10 versions of the Doctor each with they own personalty like's and dislikes to use.

12. Grubdubdub

The original show was'nt very good, at least by today's standards. Also, about
    five people watched it. The 9th Doctor isn't very likable, at least to the very likable
    10th Doctor. I wouldn't advice writing on other Doctors.

13. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

I'm not sure a crossover with Doctor Who could ever really work. But when I plotted one out, the place I branched things off was the Dementor attack in fifth year. The Doctor shows up and chases them away instead of Harry casting the Patronus charm, which kicks off an adventure where the Doctor tries to work out what the Dementors are doing on Earth. It'd have to skip over the rest of the wizarding world completely in order to not suck, because dragging the Doctor into the whole Voldemort-prophecy-Horcrux thing is just going to be epic fail.

An alternative could be a post-Voldemort Harry who is completely disillusioned with the wizarding world, sick of being expected to fix things and teetering on the edge of going dark. He meets up with the Doctor and ends up becoming the next companion, quickly realising that his domestic problems don't mean dick compared to what's going on in the rest of the universe.

But even better than a crossover with the Doctor? Captain Jack and the Torchwood crew. With the death of Tosh and Owen at the end of the last series, Jack could decide it's time to track down something special for his next recruit, ending up at one of the most famous and accomplished young wizards in the UK - Harry Potter. There. Now you've got a crossover into the greater Doctor Who universe without having to deal with all the bullshit that a genuine Time Lord brings to the table.

14. enembee

High Score:
    The Doctor isn't by any stretch immortal.

The ninth doctor was by far my favourite. Christopher Eccleston gave him such interesting depth. I think the ninth would blend far better with the HP world, as he's a fairly gritty character, than the tenth who's far more whimsical.

15. Grubdubdub

Yes, he is. That's not to say that he can't die, but he can't die from natural circumstances.

I don't really like him. Also, he doesn't work well in my idea because he's with Rose (unless you want to write about before the Doctor even met Rose, but I don't think it's a good idea) and the Doctor needs to be companion-less.

16. enembee

High Score:
    They can only regenerate 12 times, giving them 13 forms. After that, they die.

17. Grubdubdub

Seriously? When is it mentioned?

18. enembee

High Score:
    Here.

It's from classic Doctor Who and may have been ignored for the new series, but who knows?

Also, it's implied that the First Doctor has had at least two regenerations already, but possibly not.

19. lulu42

lulu42 Second Year

I had a tiny gem of an idea yesterday when I was driving to work yesterday that is very similar. It would be post in a post-Voldemort world.

The summary: Harry always thought that dementors were strange and alien. It turns out he was right.

And because I felt like it, I cobbled together an excerpt of the story. (Which also happens to be all of the story written so far.) This is Ten, because I don't know the other Doctor's very well. Harry would be about nineteen. I apologize ahead of time for grammatical errors.

“Do you hear that?” asked The Doctor.
    “No, I don’t hear anything,” replied Harry in a hushed whisper.
    “Exactly.” Harry’s eyes widened as he caught the meaning of The Doctor’s statement. “We need to get to my ship. It’s not far.” A soft, rustling noise sounded in the darkness, easily mistaken for crunching leaves. They rose to their feet at the same time, The Doctor leading the way.

They ran through the forest loudly. That was the problem with coats, while they made for a nice visual when it flapped in the wind; it made a lot of noise. And there wasn’t anyone around to appreciate the visual. The moon was only half full so he could barely see; the pursuers were blind, and he kept stumbling on tree roots. Plus, The Doctor had forgotten about the small pebble between his toes until he started running. It was now digging into his big toe rather painfully. Not the end of the world, but not every bad thing had to be.

But, there was a good thing about running in the forest in the dead of night, in the half-light with a pebble between his toes. He wasn’t alone. Harry was running next to him, keeping up with his own awkward stumbles and heavy breathing. Maybe, thought The Doctor, he’d let this one stick around.

He caught sight of a large boulder, and took a left. Now the top light of the Tardis could be seen, parked right next to a fallen tree. “Almost there now!” he cried out to Harry over the growing noise of their hunters. He arrived at the door, and pressed it open. “Get in,” he said to Harry. The Doctor held the door open and waited for the inevitable.
    He never got tired of it; the look of surprise and awe on their faces when they realized his tiny phone box was big and gorgeous. He waited for the look of astonishment; the cry of “It’s bigger on the inside!”
    It never came.

Instead of a look of shock, fear, or wide-eyed stupefaction, he got nothing. Harry merely slipped in the doorway and shut the doorway behind him.
    “Will this keep them out?” Harry asked as he surveyed his surroundings.
    “Yes,” said The Doctor with a frown of annoyance. It wasn’t like Tardis’ grew on trees.
    “So,” Harry asked, “where are we going?” He walked up to the center console and settled himself on a chair like it was a normal thing to do.
    Oh yes, thought The Doctor as removed the pebble from his shoe, this one could stick around for an adventure or two.

20. enembee

High Score:
    I love the dementor idea but I'd love the ninth Doctor to meet postDH!Harry in Azkaban.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009